Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Omega Flight #2 [Got it]

I really enjoyed #2. I havent heard much so far in reference to how well its selling. I LOVED Talisman giving it to Tony. She is a really fun character so far as being written by MAO. I also thought it was very cool to see some of the group dynamic I thought we would see with the very different and distinct personalities on this team. It should be a very fun ride. Lets hope the flight keeps on flying past #5
    You may say I'm a dreamer...but I'm not the only one.

Venom: I want to bite their heads off and shove my tongue down their neck holes.
    Songbird: Why?
    Venom: So I can lick out their hearts.

IMO, speaking as a pro-reg.'er who has never been an Iron Man fan, and has always been a Cap fan; 'Liz needs to chillout.

Afterall, the reason why American villains are fleeing into Canada is because the Yanks have finally gotten their act together. They're more effective heroes, and the villains can't hack it. Thats not a bad thing.

If Canada can't protect itself, that's Canada's fault, not the U.S.' and it's abilty to protect itself.

Secondly, everyone seems to remember Giantman, but why is it no one remembers, whats his name, Bantom... the first casuality of the CW and a pro-reg.'er. Sure, Thunderclap didn't mean to kill him, but then the New Warriors didn't mean to kill all of those kids at Stamford either. Not meaning too however, is a poor defense, when the fact is that, in both cases, the negligence, born of a lack of training and experience, of those invovled was to blame. And not everyone can be a Captain America, whioch is my big beef with Cap during CW.

Thirdly, like IM protected Giantman or Cap?!?! Okay. And like Talisman protected Sasq after he defined the situation for her and implored her to aid him. Nice way to turn her own fumble into Iron Man's.

Quote Originally Posted by Powersurge
    IMO, speaking as a pro-reg.'er who has never been an Iron Man fan, and has always been a Cap fan; 'Liz needs to chillout.

Afterall, the reason why American villains are fleeing into Canada is because the Yanks have finally gotten their act together. They're more effective heroes, and the villains can't hack it. Thats not a bad thing.

If Canada can't protect itself, that's Canada's fault, not the U.S.' and it's abilty to protect itself.

Secondly, everyone seems to remember Giantman, but why is it no one remembers, whats his name, Bantom... the first casuality of the CW and a pro-reg.'er. Sure, Thunderclap didn't mean to kill him, but then the New Warriors didn't mean to kill all of those kids at Stamford either. Not meaning too however, is a poor defense, when the fact is that, in both cases, the negligence, born of a lack of training and experience, of those invovled was to blame. And not everyone can be a Captain America, whioch is my big beef with Cap during CW.

Thirdly, like IM protected Giantman or Cap?!?! Okay. And like Talisman protected Sasq after he defined the situation for her and implored her to aid him. Nice way to turn her own fumble into Iron Man's.
    The problem wasnt registering itself. It was the way it was gone about. No due process, no trial, if you have powers hero or not you where forced to register and join their program. It was about not having a corrupt government tell you who your enemies where. Captain America on more than one occasion rebelled against American policies because they where wrong. He recognized that the government would use their super hero army for their purposes. Those purposes are not always just and correct. Behind the scenes Iron Man was also secretly creating a war with Atlantis to be an insurance policy. Had he not won Civil War he was going to start the Atlantis war to show why registraion was necessary. Iron Man in true American form was willing to start a war for "American" interests, Casulties be damned. So overall it was about the way he did it and went about it not the act itself. The very principals with which how it was implemented and executed where unamerican. The reason why villains where flooding the borders where not beacause the heroes where more organized it was because they to where being forced to register and join the Initiative.

Venom: I want to bite their heads off and shove my tongue down their neck holes.

So then, what you're saying is that all of these villains, who were engaging in illegal activities to begin with, suddenly decided to hit the trail, not because America's superhero police force was suddenly more organized and capable of taking them down, but because of a piece of paper which, like many others pieces of paper, centred them out as criminals?!?!

Sorry. I can buy the all of the implentation stuff without a problem, but I simply can't buy that. The villains are villains precisely because they don't give a rats ass about what is illegal, or why, and what is not.

You make good points and I agree with you for the most part. However, I'd like to point out that while you can that the Registration Act allowed for the American superheroes to get their act together, the intention was never to have all the supervillains flee the country and, in fact, counterproductive since if there are no supervillains left in the US, the Act is kinda moot.

Also, as it's been stated, the US has both political and economical interests in keep Canada safe, therefore I believe it's completely reasonable to say that America has a responsibility in providing the man(and woman)-power for the Omega Flight program.

Ahhh, but I'm not saying that American heroes should not be serving on Omega Flight. All I'm saying is that Liz needs to chill. Crime is like one of those boxes with sticks poking out of all sides. You push one stick in here, another pops out over there. It's natural that criminals will gravitate to regions they feel they can more succesfully ply their trade. This is why some regions (of cities, states, countries and the world) are riddled with certain types of crime and others aren't. And cracking down in one area, always results in a migration to another more criminally viable area. In this case, the success of the American SRA coupled with the destruction of AF and the, ummm, "disappearance" of all our other Canadian heroes, made Canada a target for superpowered crime.

That's hardly the fault of I.M. or the U.S.A. And I don't think that it is very nice of Liz to frown on the U.S.'s success, or turn their friendly offer of assistence into something dirty. 'Specially considering what happened to Sasquatch at the hands of the Wrecking Crew.

You see, I wouldn't really qualify it as a "success", per se. It's kinda like in Sudbury, which used to be plagued with severe pollution problems due to their factories constantly creating smog. Well, one day, they built what became the world's tallest chimney and suddenly the smog that plagued the city virtually disappeared. Only problem was that the smog simply carried itself over to its neighboring cities and suddenly they were stuck with the problem. Was it their fault because they weren't adequately prepared to deal with the pollution generated by Sudbury's factories?

Well, I don't think that you can compare criminal activity to smog. Afterall, if your home has a security system, a watchdog, and you make sure to lock all your windows and doors, but your neighbour is way lax in comparison, is it your fault if a burgaler choses to break into his house rather than yours?

It's not your fault. You didn't create the crime or the criminal. You didn't point at your neighbours house and say, "sorry, but try your luck over there". You took measures to protect yourself. If your neighbour didn't that is his oversight; being loathe to say that a crime is the fault of the party so offended. Now, if you offered to set them up with some security tech. and protocols, one might expect that neighbour to be pleased with you rather than raving about how your trying to cover up some "dirty" little secret, like how you defended yourself vs. criminal activity.

Now, let's say your other neighbour, your good and trusted friend, knocked on your door, and told you about how a buncha new criminals had recently moved into the area. He asks for your help in defending the neighbourhood against them, but you say "tough, it's not my problem, you're on your own". And then your friend ends up getting completely trashed by the very criminals he asked you to help him with.

Liz needs to chill.

Well, I don't think that you can compare criminal activity to smog. Afterall, if your home has a security system, a watchdog, and you make sure to lock all your windows and doors, but your neighbour is way lax in comparison, is it your fault if a burgaler choses to break into his house rather than yours?
    If the burglar is a member of your household, while it may not be directly your fault, you would bear some responsibility in compensating your neighbor.

Don't forget, these are criminals that are FROM the U.S., which is the major concern here.

If you want to stretch your analogy even further, say your neighbor was holding a few things for you that would be of value, it would be in your best interest that your neighbor is properly equipped to prevent anything from happening to your valuables.

So if a Canadian citizen commits a crime in another country, and because he couldn't get away with the same at home, it is Canada's fault?

But in fact, I can see your point. I would however point out that offering assistence is precisely what Stark and the U.S. are doing in Omega Flight.

Liz is spitting in their face for "having the nerve".

Quote Originally Posted by SmurfInABlender
    plus its stated in alpha already that Walters APT is in BC
    And he's on the record as having done Hulklike leaps to cover distances. Plus, the Government could certainly have gfiven him a ride.

FTR- yes, it looks like BC. But we're never told just WHERE it is, are we?
    "You cannot win, mailman Mike. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

So then, what you're saying is that all of these villains, who were engaging in illegal activities to begin with, suddenly decided to hit the trail, not because America's superhero police force was suddenly more organized and capable of taking them down, but because of a piece of paper which, like many others pieces of paper, centred them out as criminals?!?!

Sorry. I can buy the all of the implentation stuff without a problem, but I simply can't buy that. The villains are villains precisely because they don't give a rats ass about what is illegal, or why, and what is not.
    No they "hit the trail" cause they didnt want to join the army. They wanted to be "bad guys". They became villains in the first place because they where either crazy, psychopathic, anti-establishment, anarchist, or just plain bad. Staying and registering to be a government puppet didnt seem like a good idea so they went somewhere where that wouldnt be the choice made for them. Hence the whole oppresive point of what Iron Man is doing. If you read Avengers: The Initiative the ongoing. There is a character called Cloud 9. She is a teenage girl who has the ability to fly on self generated clouds. She wasnt a vigalante, she wasnt a super villain. She just enjoyed flying for fun. She is as average teenager with average teenage insecurities and flying was her realease. BUT...because she has a "power" she is forced to join the Initiative and become a super hero. Putting her life at risk and witnessing a peer of hers die in training on her first day. She is than put into combat situations in her first week and all the poor girl did was want to fly. By the way. Under Iron Man's new regime. If you dont sign up they take your powers away or simply put you in the negative zone prison. No trial, no due process. Registration under the CURRENT system is wrong. As Talisman put it what Canada has done has worked for them. While we dont know the paticulars of those laws. As she also put it "we never turned it against ourselves". In case you havent picked up on it. The whole point about Civil War. Are the the projected loss of civil liberties to protect the citizens of our country. Is it ok for the government to spy on us and monitor everything? Is it ok for them to tell us what to watch and what to read? No its not. That is the not to thinly vailed message behind the Civil War story. That is why they killed Captain America. To show in their own way. That the former American way of life is not what it once was and that it like Captain America is dead.

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

well in all honesty when issue #1 was written Oeming didn't know captain america was going to die, thus sasquatch says "It aint cpatain ammerica"... thus, if you use that plus the fact a civillian mistakes U S Agent for captain america, you can figure that oeming still was unaware of the death of cap at this point thus he couldn't refer to it in the conversation as he wouldn't have known yet
    Good point.
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Transmetropolitan
    plus its stated in alpha already that Walters APT is in BC
    And he's on the record as having done Hulklike leaps to cover distances. Plus, the Government could certainly have gfiven him a ride.

FTR- yes, it looks like BC. But we're never told just WHERE it is, are we?
    i'm pretty sure around within byrne's run they go to his apartment in BC, and is refered to as "Walter's apartment in BC"

A lot better than #1. Still not entirely sure I like the coloring over pencils thing that's going on. Did anyone spot any easter eggs in this issue?