Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Omega Flight #2 [Got it]

I don't see why people have a problem with the Sasquatch thing. It's believable after getting hit with a gas truck that he'd be captured.

If it's the actual act of torture you don't like, well, I'm sure he will be avenged/vindicated and the Crew will get what's comin to them, which will be all the sweeter. What good is beatin the Wrecking Crew if they didn't do anything to deserve it?

The Hannibal thing kinda took me out of the story too, but I think it was a more dramatic cliffhanger then if he was just standing there. I'm sure ish #3 will tell us why he's locked up.

I'd have liked it better if it was him standing in the doorway holding the mask with two guards on either side to "protect" him.. give him the "i still don't fully belong here" thing but still give him a reason.. not "the way I talk and look you'd think they put Stephen Hawking in here"

Wow mixed reviews of this issue, suprized.

I picked up my copy earlier today. I enjoyed it, but I agree that it is moving along very slowly... as if it were an ongoing. It woulda been nice if the first two issues were jammed into a double sized issue#1.

I also don't get why Pointer was in restraints.

As for Sasq; I personally think he could take the Wrecking Crew, but then, one lucky shot is all it takes. I guess the Crew got that lucky shot.

I liked when Thunderball was in the hole pounding Sasq, but he didn't make a peep. Just stared at him with those sullen eyes. However, I wonder what T-ball did that made him wail like a little girl when he dragged him out of the pit. You don't think he grabbed Sasq's, errr, well, you know...

The whole "moving slowly" is a universal complaint. Not just among us fan boys and girls, but among reviewers as well. However, everyone knowns why it is moving slowly. The one or two reviews I've seen for #2 (as well as all of the reviews for issue #1) acknowledge the reason why the pacing is not of a mini....and are sometimes even critical of Marvel's decision. I actually think that all of the talk of the pace is really good as it always seems to bring the whole "downgraded to a mini" into the discussion....and strongly suggests that downgrading it was a horrible mistake (given how incredibly well it is being received). I'm hoping that this kind of tone will help Marvel make the decision we are all waiting for.

Quote Originally Posted by SmurfInABlender
    I'd have liked it better if it was him standing in the doorway holding the mask with two guards on either side to "protect" him.. give him the "i still don't fully belong here" thing but still give him a reason.. not "the way I talk and look you'd think they put Stephen Hawking in here"
    I'm thinkin maybe he's not 100% in control of his powers yet. They said it themselves that they were rushed into putting this team together. I think they would have trained him more if not for this crisis. So I think he's not fully ready yet. I'm sure it will be explained next issue(the one with him on the cover). It might also be to help new readers see just how dangerous and powerful he is. It might not grab the casual fan if it was just a guy in a flag suit. They might say "boring!" and not pick up the next issue, whereas now they want to know why he's being restrained.

It's even getting us talking about it, so I think the scene did it's job.

Got it yesterday afternoon! My local store had just about sold out. There were only 4 copies left in the store when I left. Another strong showing in the sales department.

As for the story, it did move slowly, but it was very well paced for a team formation story. You get most of the characters' motivations. The dialogue from USAgent reminded me very quickly why I love to hate his character. He's the consumate smarta$$ed American. There will definitely be conflict on the team with him around. Clearly Pointer will provide conflict as well. I'm waiting to see how Talisman is reined in. What argument trumps "You murdered my father!" I'm sorry, but the "I was only a vessel" argument wouldn't hold up with me, and I doubt based on Talisman's personality it would with her either. I have to agree with comments on the art and the job it does in telling the story. The book seemed to flow from frame to frame. Also, there really wasn't a lot of verbage in the word balloons, but the story was told in great detail. The pacing may be a bit slow, but the story is dead on. As for the Sasquatch torture, I wasn't overly bothered by it. I think he's lying in wait now. And I think T-Ball will be the first one Sas drops like a rock. Perhaps there wasn't a whimper during the torture because the Great Beast has taken over. I'm intrigued to find out.

If you're still dropping in Mike and Scott, I'd like to compliment you once again for some of the best Flight stories I've read. You're definitely doing the team justice. Too bad you weren't around 20 years ago when Alpha Flight veered off into Mantlo's bad dream.

Tom
    "Well, the only person talking about love today is the preacher. And it seems noboday gets just all the learning but the teacher."

The Temptations "Ball of Confusion"

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default I got it after work, read it in the car in the parking lot

Quote Originally Posted by Mario
    I can't join the general acclaim, I'm afraid. Because this issue annoyed me on a couple of levels.

1: Beta Ray Bill. Or, more accurately, Simon Walters, who has apparently changed from "a human being with Bill's personality" to "a mortal artist who seems completely baffled by events", and uses slang like "you don't know the half of it". I could understand a writer wanting to put his own spin on the character... but Oeming _created_ Walters.

2: Sasquatch the furry orange punching bag. I think more time was spent depicting him being tortured than in actual plot.

3: The shocking reveal of the new Guardian... which has been known since the preview story. And why the Hannibal Lecter getup?

4: The mini is 40% over, and we've barely moved forward. Didn't Oeming say he'd rewritten issue #2 to adapt to the miniseries length?

None of these, by themselves, would be deal breakers, but combined...
    I couldn't disagree more. This is another solid issue. Showing how the team is coming together and why there are probably going to be internal disagreements and more importantly (hopefully) problems with Iron Man and Ms. Marvel; spotlighting Elizabeth without shortchanging Sasquatch; the introduction of USAgent and Arachne, and; the cliffhanger (not a surprise, I know) Michael Pointer's membership and Talisman's reaction to it.

The pacing is fast, the writing is tight...nothing wasted, the subplots are interesting, and the characters are converging on Toronto for what looks like an old-style good-versus-evil throwdown. I hope. MARVEL has problems delivering real conclusions.

What Sasquatch has never been given much credit for is his heart. When he fought the Hulk in the Annual and he painfully realized that he was not as strong, he put the nurse aside knowing that he was going to pay for his miscalculation, the price was unknowable as the Hulk was madder than heck. He didn't flinch, he didn't run, he didn't whine or snivel.

The same thing in OF# 2. Except that the Wrecking Crew---and in this instance, specifically Thunderball---is truly vicous. Icepick(?)...don't even want or need to see what happened to finally make Walt scream. I just hope that Walt/Sasquatch/Tanaraq puts a hurting on all of them the likes of which they've got coming.

OF# 2 avoids the second-issue let down that most series suffer from. Example, Dynamo 5# 2: not quite as good as #1. If OF were an on-going series, I doubt that the plots would be moving along as fast. The editor, Andy Schmidt, is doing an excellent job, and if this five-issue limited series does not culminate in an on-going, tptb are making an awful mistake.
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

i loved this issue. not sure if its because the past alpha being refrenced and used so much while still moving the new team forward or just a love for mike and scotts story telling. the only minor gripe i have is carting michael out in a "thunderbolt" type way.

but me complaining about this issue is like telling marissa miller i don't like the mole on her right hand.

i loved it and am looking forward to more.

i am curious as to why everyone is saying the series is running slow? does everyone just want a worthless "we're all here, lets fight the villian and start a team" route?

This pacing is still far faster than the likes of New Avengers, JLA, and various other team books that came out recently.

Yeah, to me I thought the issue was a lot faster paced than #1.
    #1 seemed to be the Af respect issue and this issue brought the team together.

I honestly don't have a bad thing to say about both issues so far.
    It's not Alpha Flight and I'm not claiming it to be as such but so far it seems a really well told story that has ties to AF.

Well done to all involved, here's to the big announcement...

I think the main reason people are upset is the handeling of sasquatch, but any non-flight fan will jsut be like "dang that beast couldn't take them?" then bam. the team will rip them up. wouldn't be suprised if a censor sign or two has to be shown when sasquatch rips off Thunderball's head.

Having an Iron Man suit: Millions
    Leading Shield: Billions
    Having everyone treat you like some kind of god: billions more
    Having a Canadian tell you to shove it and blow up the monitor you're talking from: Priceless

..Wait did The Wreking Crew walk from BC to Toronto!? lol I'm sure they drove.. just wondering what happened to their car.

i loved the torture scene. as hard as thunderball tried sas would not scream.

Quote Originally Posted by Canucklehead
    ..Wait did The Wreking Crew walk from BC to Toronto!? lol I'm sure they drove.. just wondering what happened to their car.
    They snuck through one of those "state to state" negative space jump things? lol beats me