Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OF: One fan's opinion

Quote Originally Posted by SmurfInABlender
    I personally like the idea of a team of B-list heroes.. whether its alpha or not.. the idea of a bunch of b list heros on a team is very apealing, more apealing in my opionion then throwing a bunch of big names simply because they are big names into a team
    I agree...I LOVE B-List heroes. One book in paticular that I'm kinda psyched about atm is Avengers: The Initiative. Now thats it is an ongoing they are gonna tell stories of all the teams from the various states. Most of those teams are B even C-List heroes
    You may say I'm a dreamer...but I'm not the only one.

Venom: I want to bite their heads off and shove my tongue down their neck holes.
    Songbird: Why?
    Venom: So I can lick out their hearts.

part of the reason I like alpha is it is a b list team

Consider my favorites are Alpha Flight, Avengers West Coast, and New Warriors, and you can see I'm a B-list hero type of follwer myself. I don't follow Iron Man, Cap, Thor, Hulk, or the X-Men. Spidey I do like, but I get burned out easily with alll of the titles. I think that's part of the allure of the B-listers. You don't have to buy 5 title to keep up with them.
    "Well, the only person talking about love today is the preacher. And it seems noboday gets just all the learning but the teacher."

The Temptations "Ball of Confusion"

I was a massive X-fan until Grant Morrison, and I sitll haven't completely come back because of that slock.

Right now, I find myself following the smaller books and Blists. Omega Flight, Daredevil, Deadpool. The only 'mainstream' book I'm even touching really is X-men (not Astonishing or Uncanny either)

I've found that most of the characters I used to classify as my favorites, who were in the main books, are now just a bunch of angsty, whiney sociopaths who exploit one another.

>.>

I'm not bitter... no... not at all <.<...

Default Re: OF: One fan's opinion

Quote Originally Posted by JustinM
    First off, we get two original Alphans; one that turned out to only be mostly dead, and one that Bendis apparently forgot to kill.
    Would you prefer he killed everyone off? I think that was his original intention.

Then, we get the new Guardian, and I don't know if he counts as a spoiler, so I won't mention it, only to say that the reasoning behind that particular piece of plot is not the dumbest thing Marvel's done lately, but that's only because of the big piles of stupid that was called Civil War.
    No, the dumbest thing Marvel's done is Clor in recent memory. This is called "situational irony."

Besides, it adds story drama. Judging by your reaction, you can see where Talisman is coming from in issue 2.

But the American heroes just stick in my craw. I mean, it's not that they're American. That's fine. But it's what they are.

US Agent: the guy who wanted to be Captain America, but just couldn't quite cut it. Second rate, as it were, Captain America.
    Okay, you've got where he started out, but he later owned up to his own standards and became very different. (see West Coast Avengers)

To be honest, John Walker is an *******, but he's a good leader, and a tough son of a gun. Perfect for the team IMO.

Beta Ray Bill: The other Thor. Sure, people like him, but he's just a guy/alien who has a hammer, but he ain't the real deal.
    Yeah, Bill's not the real deal. He's smarter, and probably a better fighter than the real deal. He's a character with a lot of heart that's been sitting on the sidelines for years, and now he's part of a premier team. What's the problem?

Arachne: She was Spider Woman for a while, until the real one wanted the job back.
    Uh, no. She was Spider-Woman til her powers got stolen. Then they were later restored, drama ensued by Civil War, yadda yadda.

Now she's on the only post Civil War team that matters. Once again, not a bad thing.

Does anyone else see what I'm saying here? This is a huge slap in the face, I think, for Canuck comics fans. This, they're saying, is what we get. This is what we deserve. Cast-offs and second rate copies.
    Yeah, except for the fact that none of them are cast-ofs, and none are "second rate copies." Really, your entire post is full of faulty logic and xenophobia-driven drivel.

Now, let's be honest here. Alpha Flight was an incredible team with one of the most underrated books of all time. However, let's keep with the honesty and keep in mind that really, they didn't get as much attention as they deserved. Blame it on the X-men's popularity, blame it on the Avengers being the "A Team of Marvel" or whatever. Look at it for what it is. They were a great team with a fantastic run. To be honest, Oeming is doing whatever possible to honor the memory of the past team, and create one that would make Alpha Flight proud. Well, I think it's being done with Omega Flight. They're a team that packs a punch with a writer that's familiar with the characters involved, and wants to write a good book for anyone to enjoy.

Guess what? The first two issues have SOLD OUT!

Well, if you'd like to keep whining about it, by all means, be my guest. You'll still be wrong about everything.

- Damien

Welcome, Damien.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Welcome to the boards Damien! I agree with many of your points, but I do share some of Justin's concerns as well.

That said, and this is just my personal opinion, I find that your tone is a little harsh. JustinM has a right to his concerns and a right to vent. If you disagree with him feel free to share that, but I feel that this board is different than others because of its high degree of decorum and its emphasis on friendly discussion, and comments like:
    Quote Originally Posted by Damien
    Well, if you'd like to keep whining about it, by all means, be my guest. You'll still be wrong about everything.
    - Damien
    are not very friendly.

Again, just my personal opinion, and I look forward to seeing you around the boards in the future.

It's fine, I can be a nicer.

Only a little though.

I can understand the concern as well, but think of it this way: Bendis could be the one heading up the project instead of Oeming.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnacle13
    Consider my favorites are Alpha Flight, Avengers West Coast, and New Warriors, and you can see I'm a B-list hero type of follwer myself. I don't follow Iron Man, Cap, Thor, Hulk, or the X-Men. Spidey I do like, but I get burned out easily with alll of the titles. I think that's part of the allure of the B-listers. You don't have to buy 5 title to keep up with them.
    Yeah, I pick up omega and Iron Fist, and for DC I only really pick up Checkmate, though this cross over with the outsiders has been interesting, who knows might pick up that title too.

And yeah i've picked up mighty avengers and avengers the initiative...but i'm not goign to lie, both the avengers titles, esspecially mighty avengers, have burned me out as of late and bore me. They are new and already bored... i mean avengers initiative is actually ok. but mighty avengers, I thought would be great but nothign exciting is happening

So i usually go for b-list titles

I'm a huge sub-mariner fan aswell.. though you could call him A-list but honestly I'd call him inbetween a and b cause he isn't used alot

Quote Originally Posted by SmurfInABlender
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnacle13
    Yeah, I pick up omega and Iron Fist, and for DC I only really pick up Checkmate, though this cross over with the outsiders has been interesting, who knows might pick up that title too.

And yeah i've picked up mighty avengers and avengers the initiative...but i'm not goign to lie, both the avengers titles, esspecially mighty avengers, have burned me out as of late and bore me. They are new and already bored... i mean avengers initiative is actually ok. but mighty avengers, I thought would be great but nothign exciting is happening

So i usually go for b-list titles

I'm a huge sub-mariner fan aswell.. though you could call him A-list but honestly I'd call him inbetween a and b cause he isn't used alot
    Sub Mariner does have a mini series coming out this summer...check it out it looks good. Of all the Avengers titles I like New Avengers the best. Mighty has been mighty boring so far and Im enjoying Avengers: The Initiative.
    You may say I'm a dreamer...but I'm not the only one.

Venom: I want to bite their heads off and shove my tongue down their neck holes.
    Songbird: Why?
    Venom: So I can lick out their hearts.

I guess that makes me a B-list collector too...My faves are Alpha Flight, Marvel's Horror comics (Blade, Werewolf By Night, etc...) andf DC's the Doom Patrol. I tend to go with the underdog books.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

It's fine, I can be a nicer.
    Only a little though.
    LOL!

I can understand the concern as well, but think of it this way: Bendis could be the one heading up the project instead of Oeming.
    I've said this before on this forum:
    The fact that they could make it worse does not make me grateful for a piece of garbage. My mind simply does not work that way.

(This is a general statement of principal. I am *not* calling anything in particular a piece of garbage (at this time). And I love Omega Flight so far.)

- Le Messor
    "Kiss your mother with that mouth? I'm gettin' outta here, Damien!"
    - Wayne's World