Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OF: One fan's opinion

Default OF: One fan's opinion

I know I've mentioned this on a few other boards before now, but I figured I should really say it here, since this is apparently the place to say it.

First off, I'm an AF fan from a middlin' ways back. I missed the first few appearances, but was right in there in the original series.

So, when they got killed off three or four times, then brought back, then killed off panel in an Avengers appearance, well, it was annoying.

But the new Omega Flight... I just find it a little offensive. No, bear me out.

First off, we get two original Alphans; one that turned out to only be mostly dead, and one that Bendis apparently forgot to kill.

Then, we get the new Guardian, and I don't know if he counts as a spoiler, so I won't mention it, only to say that the reasoning behind that particular piece of plot is not the dumbest thing Marvel's done lately, but that's only because of the big piles of stupid that was called Civil War.

But the American heroes just stick in my craw. I mean, it's not that they're American. That's fine. But it's what they are.

US Agent: the guy who wanted to be Captain America, but just couldn't quite cut it. Second rate, as it were, Captain America.

Beta Ray Bill: The other Thor. Sure, people like him, but he's just a guy/alien who has a hammer, but he ain't the real deal.

Arachne: She was Spider Woman for a while, until the real one wanted the job back.

Does anyone else see what I'm saying here? This is a huge slap in the face, I think, for Canuck comics fans. This, they're saying, is what we get. This is what we deserve. Cast-offs and second rate copies.

I mean, sure, they may be able to pull off in the next 4 issues something good. Something that shows, oh, a modicum of respect for a nation that, I can only assume, must buy a comic or two. But so far, I look at that lineup and see a big 'ol Fuddle Duddle.

I do apologize if this has been discussed to death. I just wanted to get it off my chest and hopefully find some sympathetic eyes.

JJ Mohareb

Have you read #1 yet Justin? Most fans, even die-hard classic AF fans are giving it thumbs up.

Ben

I did read it, yeah, and it definitely wasn't bad, especially since it pretty much avoided the actual issues I'm having with the book.

I am wondering when Marvel stopped using real life political figures, though. Don't they use real leaders and stuff anymore?

Justin Mohareb

Andy Schmidt: What’s a Canada? [laughs]

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

At one point we had talked about the Wrecking Crew storming the capital and taking over the government for a short time. But we didn't want to use real people in that scenario.

The plan changed, but we left the fictional Prime Minister in.

JQ: So Andy, will you be apologizing to our wonderful Canadian brethren?

AS: I thought making Omega Flight was an apology for killing Alpha Flight off in the first place...

Does insulting the P.M. mean we have to do a whole other Flight book?

US Agent: the guy who wanted to be Captain America, but just couldn't quite cut it. Second rate, as it were, Captain America.

Beta Ray Bill: The other Thor. Sure, people like him, but he's just a guy/alien who has a hammer, but he ain't the real deal.

Arachne: She was Spider Woman for a while, until the real one wanted the job back.
    I have to disagree with just about everything you said there Justin. I understand how you feel, and your opinion is a valid one, but I think you might be missing the point a bit. (Or as least what I feel is the point)
    As much as we would love a new AF series with all our old favorites back for the job, it wouldn't help alleviate any of the disdain that non-fans feel toward AF. The book probably wouldn't sell as well as we all want it to, and we would be left hounding Marvel for an AF v5.

I have always been fond of US Agent for the prime reason that he is not Captain America. I didn't feel that he was ever a 'copy' of Cap, nor did I feel that he was less of a hero that Cap. He had a much darker side and a few extra gadget type weapons that made him more interesting.

Beta Ray Bill was always a favorite of mine. Without a doubt he is tough and from what I remember, he was actually stronger than Thor when push comes to shove.

I got nothing against Arachne, but I know that there are a lot of fans out there who really like the character.

So, after my stupidly long rant, what is the point? The team needs an infusion of new blood, not just a load of new Canadian characters who no one has ever heard of or even cares about, but strong and established characters who will bring in new fans to Alpha Flight and re-invigorate the series. Just think how many fans of these character are out there and want to see their cult favorites back in action in a new series? I look forward to what is to come regarding Omega Flight.

But the new Omega Flight... I just find it a little offensive. No, bear me out.
    I don't have the powers to turn you into a bear.
    Welcome to the boards.
    (Average person + Internet Forum + Anonymity = Screaming Douchebag)

"This is why I don't post often, *wink*"

Eloquently put Manikin and so true.

Welcome to the forum JustinM. Good to have you here.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

I see what you're saying, but with most of AF dead before Oeming came on board, I'd much rather have real 3 dimension characters with history, American or not, protecting Canada then... this...

Quote Originally Posted by Canucklehead
    I see what you're saying, but with most of AF dead before Oeming came on board, I'd much rather have real 3 dimension characters with history, American or not, protecting Canada then... this...

See Piccy

As characters they weren't bad, but they needed the bighitters from AF to make them complete. On their own , I don't think so.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Manikin...nicely put you nailed it. I would like also like to say in response to those characters being second rate. When New Avengers came out. I'm pretty sure that Luke Cage, Spider Woman, Echo, and even to some extent the Sentry would have been considered second rate/B list. IMO its those same characters that give that series life. Im as liberal as anyone. But yet I find myself compelled by the extremely conserative/right wing nature of USAgent. The group they have put together has many opportunities for a great group dynamic. The in group strife and varied personalities should make for some great stories. Plus if you have ever read Beta Ray Bills first story in Thor. Odin held a contest between the 2 of them. BRB won. He is hardly second rate.
    You may say I'm a dreamer...but I'm not the only one.

Venom: I want to bite their heads off and shove my tongue down their neck holes.
    Songbird: Why?
    Venom: So I can lick out their hearts.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Justin, I share your disappointment. But I think that Mike Oeming has done a really good first issue with what he's got, whether you consider it AF or not. If we can't have Alpha, at least we've got something good.

Dfense, who's Echo?

- Le Messor
    Cordelia: "Do you know what you need Xander, besides a year's supply of acne cream? A brain."
    Xander: "That's it. Twelve years of you and I'm snapping. I don't care if you're a girl or not, I'm throwing down, come on."

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor
    Justin, I share your disappointment. But I think that Mike Oeming has done a really good first issue with what he's got, whether you consider it AF or not. If we can't have Alpha, at least we've got something good.

Dfense, who's Echo?

- Le Messor
    Cordelia: "Do you know what you need Xander, besides a year's supply of acne cream? A brain."
    Xander: "That's it. Twelve years of you and I'm snapping. I don't care if you're a girl or not, I'm throwing down, come on."
    Echo is the the female character from the Daredevil comics that Ronin was revealed to be. She is also going to continue being a New Avenger and has passed on the mantle of Ronin to someone new. The new Ronin's identity will be revealed in issue #30 of New Avengers.
    You may say I'm a dreamer...but I'm not the only one.

Venom: I want to bite their heads off and shove my tongue down their neck holes.
    Songbird: Why?
    Venom: So I can lick out their hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs
    As characters they weren't bad, but they needed the bighitters from AF to make them complete. On their own , I don't think so.
    Exactly. Imagine this pic, with Sasquatch in the back as cover to Omega #1. I wonder how many issues it'd sell lol.

Though, I was already a fan of Beta Ray and Arachne. Not so much USAgent but I see the potential when watching shows like Due South. Seeing the differences between the cultures will really bring out the Canadiana. Much better then "Quick! To the largest mall in the world! The West Edmonton Mall!"

Reader: "Hieuk, theys must be's in the Kanada."

To understand this line up you pretty much have to realize that anyone more popular is already being used in the Avengers or X-Men. I'm hoping that, given enough time, some older members can start to make the roster (at least part time) during this series. We've already seen Shaman and "a Snowbird" in ish #1. Hopefully the twins, Jefferies, Marina and other 2nd tier characters will make appearances.

Oeming loves the homages.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dfense75
    Echo is the the female character from the Daredevil comics that Ronin was revealed to be.
    Of course. Thanks.

Justin,
    I don't think you're as alone in that thought process as you may think. We've all had those same doubts running through our heads for the past 6 months or so. That is until Omega Flight #1 hit the stands. Dana has probably been the most vocal, but others have stated very closely what you have here. Yep these are all probably B-listers at best. However, they each bring a small following with them. Bringing BRB hauls in some Thor fans, USAgent and Arachne brings in Avengers West/Force Works fans. It's been stated many times by Marvel, Oeming, etc. that this book is not Alpha Flight. I do think as Manikin stated though it is probably the best chance for Alpha Flight to live again. Maybe this diverse group with great stories, characterization, and artwork will bring old fans back (AF used to be a high selling title) and new fans to the fold. I'm gonna stick around and find out. And hopefully a new Alpha with old characters will spin out of this.

Tom
    "Well, the only person talking about love today is the preacher. And it seems noboday gets just all the learning but the teacher."

The Temptations "Ball of Confusion"

I personally like the idea of a team of B-list heroes.. whether its alpha or not.. the idea of a bunch of b list heros on a team is very apealing, more apealing in my opionion then throwing a bunch of big names simply because they are big names into a team