Thread: A birthday full of Flight

Default A birthday full of Flight

My 19th birthday was last sunday, the 22nd, but today I got to see my boyfriend and he got me a rather large set of Alpha Flight comics:

Alpha Flight #1 - 29
    Alpha Flight #33 - 34
    Alpha Flight #43
    Alpha Flight #52 - 53
    Alpha Flight #87 - 90
    Alpha Flight #106

Any particular issues that you guys recommend I read from the stuff I got?

all except for 52 and 53... i hate mantlo lol

but you have to read the first 28.. those are the canon... ... as anti-christian as this is, if alpha flight was the bible, the first 28 would be the four gospels and the rest would be the rest of the new testament..... meanign yeah you can read the rest but whats the point if you don't understand the begennign and the main focus... gotta read the first 28

Default Re: A birthday full of Flight

Quote Originally Posted by JayCanuck
    My 19th birthday was last sunday, the 22nd, but today I got to see my boyfriend and he got me a rather large set of Alpha Flight comics:

Alpha Flight #1 - 29
    Alpha Flight #33 - 34
    Alpha Flight #43
    Alpha Flight #52 - 53
    Alpha Flight #87 - 90
    Alpha Flight #106

#87-90 is the Building Blocks arc (?) and to my mind was the beginnings of the emergence from the depths AF had been taken to by Mantlo. Hudnall did a reasonable job, but Building Blocks bought AF out of the darkness (IMHO).
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

yeah it was in the wake of the llan saga.. and had osem of the best art the book had... I loved that time aswell.

Default Re: A birthday full of Flight

Quote Originally Posted by JayCanuck

Alpha Flight #1 - 29
    Alpha Flight #33 - 34
    Alpha Flight #43
    Alpha Flight #52 - 53
    Alpha Flight #87 - 90
    Alpha Flight #106

While some of Mantlo's run had redeeming qualities, issues 52-53 really were some of the worst writing I've seen, almost as bad as Loeb's current Fallen Son series.

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default Re: Fallen Son

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothsKiller
    ....While some of Mantlo's run had redeeming qualities, issues 52-53 really were some of the worst writing I've seen, almost as bad as Loeb's current Fallen Son series.
    To my dismay, I bought and read Fallen Son: Avengers and it has convinced me that I am buying way too many comics. Hopefully, I will be down to just Omega Flight and Dynamo 5 by the end of the summer.
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.