Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations

Default Recommendations

Hi everyone,

I'm rather new to comics (though not new to their tv/movie/wikipedia adaptations). In fact, the first comic I ever actually bought was Omega Flight #1. I plan on buying the Civil War TPB and the Marvel Zombie HC (4th printing). Recently I bought several of the old Alpha Flight comics (fav char is Northstar).

I'm looking for other current comics out there in the Marvel Universe that could be worth a good look at. I'm heard lots of good things about New Avengers and even good stuff about the Young Avengers (though I am worried about how child-like and immature the book could be). What other comics would you guys would reccommend?

On a side note, I know Northstar, Ulimate Collosus, Wiccan, and Hulking are gay, but are there any other current marvel heroes that are gay?

Checkmate from DC is really good if you're in to political stuff, really cool look on things, and its only on issue 13 so you have the ability to get the rest for a reasojable price on ebay

I really like Namor, it is discontinued, but if you liek Byrnes work on Alpha you'll love Namor which began in 1990, i'm in the midsts of collecting those now

as for graphic Novels, a musr woukld of course be Watchmen...GREAT story and is beign adapted for film in 2008 I believe. The V for Vendetta one is great too

as for current comics, I'm currently buyign Omega, Checkmate, Mighty Avengers, and avengers initiative.. I'm fairly new to comics aswell so i havn't gotten really deep yet either. \

've also heard amazing thigns about Immortal Iron Fist and also about The Runaways, I look to start buyign those soon aswell

I enjoy Exiles. There is a decent connection to Alpha Flight in it and it is usually a good read. Thunderbolts can be good too. Sometimes it's a bit much though. I liked it early on, now it seems some of the characters aren't as interested in reformation. That's about all I have time to read anymore. If you're looking for something new to jump onto, New Avengers started off OK. I haven't followed it since they killed off Alpha Flight there, so don't know how it's going now. I'd imagine if you like the Civil War stuff though it'd be key. There's a new Clan Destine coming out too that might be worth a look. They were an interesting concept years back.
    "Well, the only person talking about love today is the preacher. And it seems noboday gets just all the learning but the teacher."

The Temptations "Ball of Confusion"

Exiles is always good, and Hulk has been great lately, and should be interesting with World War Hulk.

Ben

New X-Men has been one of the most underrated books in the last year, and I'm not saying that just cause I worked on it. Issue 20 is when Craig Kyle and Chris Yost took over writing the book. New X-Men: Childhood's End the trades are a good place to start. There is a character named "Anole" who is one of the prominent background characters who is gay, but I don't think we've touched on that in the last year.

Welcome to the wonderful world of comics my friend Although the book will be ending with issue #60 and its currently at #55. Pick up the collected editions of Y The Last Man. Its from DC Comics adult line Vertigo. It has been one of my favorites since its inception and I think you might really like it. The ISBN # for the first collected is 1-56389-980-9. If you like it let me know
    You may say I'm a dreamer...but I'm not the only one.

Venom: I want to bite their heads off and shove my tongue down their neck holes.
    Songbird: Why?
    Venom: So I can lick out their hearts.

Hulk, the Flash, and EXiles may all be good reads, though I'm not sure about the new writer on EXiles. Omega Flight is the only one I've got on order.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Quote Originally Posted by Reber
    New X-Men has been one of the most underrated books in the last year, and I'm not saying that just cause I worked on it. Issue 20 is when Craig Kyle and Chris Yost took over writing the book. New X-Men: Childhood's End the trades are a good place to start. There is a character named "Anole" who is one of the prominent background characters who is gay, but I don't think we've touched on that in the last year.
    its really hard to read it because of X-23... she irks me

Hulk! I loves me some Hulk, I think that the Planet Hulk hardcover may be coming out soon, and with World War Hulk coming soon , I am just in fanboy heaven. Omega and Hulk FTW!

I also can't stand hulk

All I can do is recommend my favourite books and if you like them you like them... if not that's cool.

As far as I'm concerned there is no better writer in comics today the Ed Brubaker. So if you get a chance check out Captain America, Daredevil Uncanny X-men (almost at the start of a new arc so that should be a good place to start) or even his own title Criminal.

Anything written by Dan Slott is awesome, She Hulk, Avengers The Initiative (try to pick up the GLI Deadpool one shot that's coming out this summer... it's gonna be awesome.)

Some other books that I consistently love are Cable/Deadpool, Moon Knight, X-23 Target X, Hack/Slash, New X-men, Shazam vs. the monster society of evil and Amazing Spider-girl… Plus if you’re into the show you could also check out the new Buffy comic.

If you like Omeing’s work check out the Highlander books, he is one of the writers who has been working on that series and I've enjoyed them.

I read a lot more, but those are the ones I recommend that are consistently good. Good luck, and don’t be afraid to try a little bit of everything… the fun part of getting into comics is finding out what you like.

As for Young Avengers… trust me when I say it’s far from childish. A very serious title, and a pretty good one. The problem with that book is it’s been a while since it’s come out. I’m not sure of it’s current status.

Oh and gay characters… hmm… Two Gun Kid over in She Hulk comes to mind. And I’m sure there are others but I can’t seem to remember any at the moment.

edit: you can try looking here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_comic_book_characters

Quote Originally Posted by Dfense75
    Welcome to the wonderful world of comics my friend Although the book will be ending with issue #60 and its currently at #55. Pick up the collected editions of Y The Last Man. Its from DC Comics adult line Vertigo. It has been one of my favorites since its inception and I think you might really like it. The ISBN # for the first collected is 1-56389-980-9. If you like it let me know
    Seconded, I started reading Y late, (I only have the first three trades so far) but it is amazing. Actually, anything with the "Vertigo" label on it is probably pretty good. Buy Sandman trades, Gaiman's masterpiece should be read by all (I haven't finished them actually, but so far they're amazing too, and I've heard nothing but crazily good things about them.)

Also amazingly good is Scott Pilgrim by Bryan Lee O'Malley. This comic is just fun, and I've never heard a poor review of it. O'Malley is a pretty cool guy too. In 2005 Universal studios optioned the movie and signed Edgar Wright (Shaun of the Dead) to direct.

I have to second RatCat's Brubaker recommendation. I just caught up with his run and Daredevil and I loved it. It's several years old, but I just read the War Games arc that crossed through several Bat-titles and it was really good too. Oh and Ultimate stuff, so far I have read The Ultimates and the first trade of Ultimate Spider-Man, top notch stuff to me. Did I mention Hulk? :P

1 More to recommend for ya. Its on of my favorites and very very different from normal super hero comics. The Irredeemable Ant-Man published by Marvel Comics. I dont know if there has ever been a character I have loved to hate more than this one. The main character is without a doubt a jerk, bastard, selfish prick and all around horrible human being. There is a LOL moment on just about every page and you will hate yourself for liking him. Its 7 issues in and the trade of the first 6 issues is coming out in a month or so.
    You may say I'm a dreamer...but I'm not the only one.

Venom: I want to bite their heads off and shove my tongue down their neck holes.
    Songbird: Why?
    Venom: So I can lick out their hearts.