Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joe Fridays

Default Joe Fridays

From the new Joe Fridays at Newsarama

Newsarama: Joe, there are a few Omega Flight reader questions this week, but before we get to those – you announced this past week that Omega Flight #1 had sold out at the retailer level and that a 2nd print was coming.

Given demand has not only exceeded pre-orders but whatever overprint you set, and that originally the series was conceived and announced as an ongoing … well, any good news yet for Canadian fans?

Joe Quesada: Just to be clear, Omega Flight was originally conceived as an ongoing but later solicited in Previews as a mini series. That said, you bring up a great point, stay tuned for Omega Flight updates!
    =============
    Q: CyclopsScott 04-08-2007 06:21 AM

This week saw a question concerning the choice to stay away from a fictional government with the response being that the "Marvel U is grounded in our “real” world". However I noticed something rather contradictory with this week's books. Omega Flight #1 opens with a female Prime Minister for Canada, but we haven't had a female Prime Minister since Kim Campbell in 1993. Why is it that the 'real' Marvel U has the real U.S. President George W. Bush, but not the real Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper?

Q: trent 04-10-2007 09:55 PM

As others have more succinctly asked on the subject of a female Canadian Prime Minister, in light of your "real world...big players are big players" quote, I only wish to add an addendum. Knowing your position on rude inquiries, please place tongue firmly in cheek. Query: Do you view, as many Canadians feel is America's stance on us ... that we are NOT in "the real world?" If so, how do you plan to escape the wrath of your Canadian creators (thinking Immonen, Grummett, Finch, Bachalo, Andrews, and others), and especially the vengeful power of a John Byrne or Todd McFarlane? Are we truly only your repressed, somewhat-slow cousins? What's up, eh?

JQ: The reason CyclopsScott/trent is because we are arrogant Americans who feel that no other country exists other than our own [laughs]. I kid, I kid, okay for the real reason let’s go to Editor Andy Schmidt.

Andy Schmidt: What’s a Canada? [laughs]

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

At one point we had talked about the Wrecking Crew storming the capital and taking over the government for a short time. But we didn't want to use real people in that scenario.

The plan changed, but we left the fictional Prime Minister in.

JQ: So Andy, will you be apologizing to our wonderful Canadian brethren?

AS: I thought making Omega Flight was an apology for killing Alpha Flight off in the first place...

Does insulting the P.M. mean we have to do a whole other Flight book?

JQ: Would you be willing to do that?

AS: Uh...

Raise?

JQ: No.

AS: Well, in that case, they all die in the last issue.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Now this sounds teasingly promising

Ben

Probably gonna announce a guest appearence in 'Barbie Fashion'.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben

Ben
    I definitely agree...then again, not to be cynical, Joe Q. announced a *lot* of OF/AF things that didn't come to pass.

More positive, at least 'updates' is positive.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

For the Mel Gibson Conspiracy Theory types

Joe Quesada: Just to be clear, Omega Flight was originally conceived as an ongoing but later solicited in Previews as a mini series.
    Del

Are you trying to say that Mel Gibson is actually Joe Quesada!!? It all makes sense now!!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Primate
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben

Ben
    I definitely agree...then again, not to be cynical, Joe Q. announced a *lot* of OF/AF things that didn't come to pass.
    Yup...I have no faith in anything the Q says. I see somebody also had to make another "killing them off" joke too...Nice. Is that all Alpha Flight is going to be from now on...A Flipping joke?..."We killed those losers off...LOL"...I f#$^ing hate the people in charge at Marvel, sometimes.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

we're the nerd that they pretend to like only to get us to do their homework

Quote Originally Posted by SmurfInABlender
    Nah...It's more like they force us give them our lunch money.

I'm buying this book only for Sas and Liz...That's it. I don't give a spit about the rest of them.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
    Quote Originally Posted by SmurfInABlender
    Nah...It's more like they force us give them our lunch money.

I'm buying this book only for Sas and Liz...That's it. I don't give a spit about the rest of them.

Dana
    Well that's what this book is eh? A whole bunch of people only buying it for a few characters on the team. Some people want BRB, some Arachne, some Sasquatch and Liz, and some even USAgent.

I'm buying it for the amazing art and writing.. oh and not to mention the tension between Iron Man and his Posse and the Canadiens is really cool!

While the selling out is promising and he seems to be teasing for an ongoing, I think its much more likely that they could be guest starring in another book following the miniseries... just because there is a tease for the future doesn't mean that Marvel is ready to invest in them... I agree with the tensions against Quesy and his more than slightly obnoxious manners sometimes... this Joe Fs made me a little bit angry because of his slam to the competition... I get that they are competing, but really, could it get any more childish? I say get as many comic books sold as possible so that more people will join into the whole thing... and the more stories the better!
    The ability to defy death can be achieved...
    It is a state acquired through compassion not greed...

I had a dream...in my dream (right after the Kate Beckinsale cameo) At the end of issue #5 USAgent, Beta Ray Bill, and Arachne decide to leave the team to make room for Snowbird, Northstar, and Aurora. The mini ends at #5. To be restarted as ALPHA FLIGHT #1 . Again this was only a dream. But...I can dream...cant I?
    You may say I'm a dreamer...but I'm not the only one.

Venom: I want to bite their heads off and shove my tongue down their neck holes.
    Songbird: Why?
    Venom: So I can lick out their hearts.

Lion-O's 2nd Cousin Alpha Flight

Quote Originally Posted by Dfense75
    But...I can dream...cant I?
    Only if you've been registered.
    The world is NOT getting more Alpha Flight! Tweet me you twits! @DaVeO52