Poll: Would You Buy A Byrne AF Commision?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If you had the Money...

I would go with King Mungi, I would not take the chance to pay a commission that I don't like and I see myself saying that I won't pay for if because he can do better. I just think he's glory days are long gone.
    Quand l'appétit va, tout va!
    -Obélix

I'd definitely get one.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Yes. And the plan is for me to get one when I graduate from college. Although given that expense (a thousand? really?), the actual time of getting it may be a ways of from the occassion...

Edit: Just found this...
    I have been John's artwork dealer for over 15 years, so you have (finally) found the definitive source for his artwork!

John Byrne sometimes accepts commission requests, but he is only accepts the ones he really wants to do as they are done when he has spare time and he only wants to do the ones he will truly enjoy working on.

His rates are:

$3,000-$3,500 for most non-X-Men pieces with 6 characters done on 20" x 30" board. Additional characters are $250 each.

$5,000 for X-Men pieces with 6 characters done on 20" x 30" board. Additional characters are $250 each.

$1,100 - for a single figure “non-X-Men” pen and ink pinup type shot w/background done on 11" x 17" board, he is willing to do additional characters at an additional cost of $100 each..

$1,500 for a single figure pen and ink pinup type shot featuring an X-Men character w/background done on 11" x 17" board, he is willing to do additional characters at an additional cost of $100 each.

$550 - for a single figure pen and ink illo with no background done on 11" x 17" board

He is no longer accepting any pencil-only commissions.

So if you'd get one, what would you go for?
    The ability to defy death can be achieved...
    It is a state acquired through compassion not greed...

Well if I ever did get one done it would be Sasquatch and the Thing slugging it out. I really enjoy his versions of both characters and seeing as how they're my two favorites I'd have to go with that.

I would go with Shaman fighting the Scrambled Eggs from #19 (?). The best action pose I recall for Shaman.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

I think I'd rather get an actual piece of published artwork from the title first and foremost, but wouldn't say no to a commission.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    I think I'd rather get an actual piece of published artwork from the title first and foremost, but wouldn't say no to a commission.
    Cosigned.

Hundreds of dollars for a picture... of anything?!?! No way. You know how many comics I could buy for all that money? How many toys I could buy my son? How many other things period I could do?

I like comics, and I like good comicbook art, but with all due respet for those who feel otherwsie, the prices for a commissioned work is just rediculous, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Powersurge
    I like comics, and I like good comicbook art, but with all due respet for those who feel otherwsie, the prices for a commissioned work is just rediculous, IMO.
    They were selling the Omega Flight group shot from Civil War: The Initiative at around $3,000

If I was going to get somethign, i'd go all out.. I'd get Namor and Heather Hudson Standing back to back (Heather woudl not be in her costume due to the fatc we all know she didn't get her costuem till post-byrne) With puck in the foreground.

That woukd be a tight picture, and a tight trio in my mind

Quote Originally Posted by Powersurge
    Hundreds of dollars for a picture... of anything?!?! No way. You know how many comics I could buy for all that money? How many toys I could buy my son? How many other things period I could do?

I think everyone agrees with your sentiment. But the question is IF you had the money for one would you do it? For me that means I have $3-5000 to just throw at a commission. I's probably buy something more contemporary first (Kolins, Clayton Henry, or Silvestri Sasquatches), but if money were not an object, sure why not a Byrne original.
    "Well, the only person talking about love today is the preacher. And it seems noboday gets just all the learning but the teacher."

The Temptations "Ball of Confusion"

On second thought, I'd get the 6 character piece, with Heather and Namor back to back, and on Namor's side a little in the background would be Caleb Alecander and his daughter, and on Heather's side would be Sasquatch and Puck.. Kind of a joining of my favorite Byrne Comics

A JB commission featuring the original Alpha Flight in conflict with the original X-Men (I know it never happened in continuity) would be my choice.

you my friend would have to sell your car for that one.. that is if you have a car worth enough

I'd like to have a Snowbird portrait with her infant son. What a Mother's Day present that would be!