Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Some Minor Suggestions For Mr. Oeming...

I was joking around, We all know bendis was doign his job, I was more commenting on killing ANYONE off panel as beign funny, I see now that this obviously could be taken the wrong way, and it was a little harsh, but in all honestly I'm just hoping Oeming has some one die off panal as a small little joke...

Quote Originally Posted by RatCat
    I'm from Toronto and I was actually hurt by that statement.

I'm sorry if you hate me. Not sure what I, my family and friends did to you, but I can assure that we have no hatred towards you or anyone else in the rest of Canada.
    RatCat, try not to let it bother you. Generalized statements like 'we Canadians hate Toronto' obviously don't represent what every Canadian feels. Especially when you consider many, many Canadians live in Toronto. I'm also sure it's directed at the city and not its people. That would be like saying all Canadians hate the USA. Many may feel that way, but many don't, and those feelings of dislike are directed primarily at the government and its policies, not the people of the US.

And for the record I'm a huge Toronto Bluejays fan. I stick out like a sore thumb here in Louisiana, where it's all Yankees, Astros, and Braves fans. So feel the love from south of the border!
    "Well, the only person talking about love today is the preacher. And it seems noboday gets just all the learning but the teacher."

The Temptations "Ball of Confusion"

I stick out like a sore thumb aswell, but for different reason, where its Astros, yankees, and brave fans in South Texas i'm an Avalanche, Canadiens, and Bruins fans...In a state where the coldest day of the year is 32 degrees, hockey isn't that big of a sport

Quote Originally Posted by SmurfInABlender
    I stick out like a sore thumb aswell, but for different reason, where its Astros, yankees, and brave fans in South Texas i'm an Avalanche, Canadiens, and Bruins fans...In a state where the coldest day of the year is 32 degrees, hockey isn't that big of a sport
    *cough*Go Stars!*cough*

Quote Originally Posted by SmurfInABlender
    I was joking around, We all know bendis was doign his job, I was more commenting on killing ANYONE off panel as beign funny, I see now that this obviously could be taken the wrong way, and it was a little harsh, but in all honestly I'm just hoping Oeming has some one die off panal as a small little joke...
    Don't sweat it, satire is not to every bodies taste. As to off panel deaths, I expect to see that explored a bit more in the future. We saw something off it in 'Initiative' and more may be forthcoming.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

I'm sorry if you hate me. Not sure what I, my family and friends did to you, but I can assure that we have no hatred towards you or anyone else in the rest of Canada.
    Okay now, wait a minute!
    WHO was it, exactly, who said, "I hate you"?

I believe that what I said was that most of Canada hates Toronto. How can you take that as a personal attack aginst yourself? Honestly!
    If you come to my hometown, which i quite like, and you do not like it, or think that the people here are stuck-up or something, anything, then that is your opinion, you can take your opinion and go elsewhere. Same thing in this case. Just stating a fact, people who are not from Toronto seem to hate the place. We do not hate Ottawa, where the politicians are, we hate Toronto.
    Never said we hate all the people in Toronto. I am not a people hater. Just said we, and yes I am speaking in general terms for a large block of people, we hate Toronto. Aren't we allowed to?
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    Suggesting to Oeming that he writes one of his best friends getting thrashed just for doing his job... yeah, hilarious...
    So, you agree with and respect his decision to kill all of Alpha Flight?

I know I do not. I bet most Alpha flight fans don't either. You are likely in a minority there.
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07
    Suggesting to Oeming that he writes one of his best friends getting thrashed just for doing his job... yeah, hilarious...

I know I do not. I bet most Alpha flight fans don't either. You are likely in a minority there.

Fictional Characters<--------------------------->Real Person

World's apart sunshine, world's apart.

What it comes down to is the difference between disliking or disagreeing with how something was written, and making personal comments about a creator. I understand it was all said in fun, and most people would see that, I think Phil's concern is that someone might misunderstand the tone or the nature of the original post and take offense in it. We are lucky enough to have a real history of creator interaction on this forum, and one reason for that is the we have always tried to show personal respect. Oeming has been great about taking part in the forum, I think Phil's concern is possibility of offense being taken, as Oeming and Bendis are friends.

Most people here feel the same way about the off-panel killing of Alpha Flight, but really it was a tool to get to where we are now with Omega Flight. It would not be selling out and making the buzz it is had Bendis and Millar not engineered things the way they did. People got interested in the Flight again, and were talking about it again. It did what they intended. We might not like the vehicle used, but I know most people are pleased with what we have now.

Ben

But the components that make Toronto what is are the people who live there. Just like any other city in the world, without the people it’s just a piece of land. So when you say you hate the city you are saying you hate the people who make it what it is.

I’ve lived in this city all my life and every time there is a disaster or any other city needs help we are always the first people to get together and send money where it is needed, and I’ll I ever hear is how much everyone hates us… hell there is a new documentary that has just come out called “Let’s hate Toronto”

No one said you can’t have an “an irrational attitude of hostility directed against an individual, a group or their supposed characteristics” but if you look that up in the dictionary you’ll find it’s the definition of prejudice.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnacle13

RatCat, try not to let it bother you. Generalized statements like 'we Canadians hate Toronto' obviously don't represent what every Canadian feels. Especially when you consider many, many Canadians live in Toronto. I'm also sure it's directed at the city and not its people. That would be like saying all Canadians hate the USA. Many may feel that way, but many don't, and those feelings of dislike are directed primarily at the government and its policies, not the people of the US.

And for the record I'm a huge Toronto Bluejays fan. I stick out like a sore thumb here in Louisiana, where it's all Yankees, Astros, and Braves fans. So feel the love from south of the border!

Oh and thanks Barnacle13.

For the record I'm not a big Jays fan myself but it's nice to hear that there is love for us south of the border

I say we all blame Don Imus, call it a day and go have a drink. I am craving a watermelon cream slush about right now anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Toxie
    I say we all blame Don Imus, call it a day and go have a drink. I am craving a watermelon cream slush about right now anyway.
    Cheers!
    "Well, the only person talking about love today is the preacher. And it seems noboday gets just all the learning but the teacher."

The Temptations "Ball of Confusion"

I watch these boards, and I specifically joined this forum though, because of 2 reasons.

Firstly, I finally read issue 1 of Omega Flight today.

Secondly, this thread.

I am a Canadian, born in Vancouver, raised in the greater Vancouver area. I consider myself a Canadian Nationalist, and feel no shame for it. However, 80% of the people I know, my Grandmother included, hate Ontairo and Toronto.

They have never been there, most of them don't even know people from the region, but rest assured, they hate it. And the reason for their hate, is simply because they see it as getting more resources then us.

Did you know, if you took everyone in BC, Alberta, Saskatch, and Manatoba, and put them together, they would not have the same number of people as Ontario?

Ontairo is hated because the power is there, little else, and people see Toronto as the center of that power, not Ottawa. People hate it because it has things they don't, they hate it because its the beating heart of Canadian culture.

But you know what? People out here, they hate Vancouver now too! Saying it gets more attention then the outer region.

Canadians, are in my opinion, just whiney. We dislike Americans, EVEN THE CONSERVATIVES, but there are many reasons for that. And yes, overall, Canadians do dislike the behavior of the Americans around the world, but it doesn't mean we dislike individual Americans. Polls for Canadian youth show that they utterly despise America, so even if 'hate' isn't the case right now, give it 20 years.

Also, everyone takes Canada as one slice. From what I've seen, this man has just accurately described... Well, British Columbian sentiment. Admittedly, British Columbians aren't the brightest.

You'll get a different outlook from everywhere in Canada, as Canada is becoming more and more socially decentralized.

And I spoke with Mr. Oeming, at 10:10 am on the first day of the Emerald City Comic Convention, he's a good guy, and he's gotten pretty up and up on the culture. But the thing is, there is no real broad culture. Eastern Canadians act more like eastern Americans, middle Canadians act more like Middle Americans, and western Canadians act more like Western Americans. Sure, there are some broad overtones that cover the whole nation, but for the most part, we are a progressive-culture offshoot of whatever line of states are below us.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben

What it comes down to is the difference between disliking or disagreeing with how something was written, and making personal comments about a creator. I understand it was all said in fun, and most people would see that, I think Phil's concern is that someone might misunderstand the tone or the nature of the original post and take offense in it. We are lucky enough to have a real history of creator interaction on this forum, and one reason for that is the we have always tried to show personal respect. Oeming has been great about taking part in the forum, I think Phil's concern is possibility of offense being taken, as Oeming and Bendis are friends.

Most people here feel the same way about the off-panel killing of Alpha Flight, but really it was a tool to get to where we are now with Omega Flight. It would not be selling out and making the buzz it is had Bendis and Millar not engineered things the way they did. People got interested in the Flight again, and were talking about it again. It did what they intended. We might not like the vehicle used, but I know most people are pleased with what we have now.

Ben
    Fair enuff, Ben. I believe that what you say is mostly correct. However, I still do not have to like the death of Alpha Flight. Or agree with it. Or accept it. It (their deaths) was not the only way to get a Flight book back on the market. Just because it was the way chosen, does not mean that it was even the best way - it is just the way that was chosen. There will be people who accept and like it, and others will not.

By the way, Ben Diss was a fictional character, whom I made up, who merely represented somebody real. I never ever asked Oeming to beat up Mr Bendis. In fact, if anything, the "person" I asked to do the beating was also fictional. Really, anybody whom wants to can take offense to that - but it seems rather silly to be upset over a fictional character beating up another fictional character, in a comic book...yet I am supposed to accept the death of several of my favourite fictional characters? Ironic, isn't it...

As for Toronto...the city seems to not like being disliked, or at least the people in it don't. Great. Yahoo. Yippee. But that does not change the fact that Toronto is one of the most disliked places in Canada, rivaling only Newfoundland in Canadian jokes. So, if you'd like to feel that a whole bunch of Canadians are prejudiced against Toronto , go ahead. Doesn't bother me any. I don't live there. I don't have to like it. Nobody has to. I was just pointing out to Mr Oeming the national sentiment about the place, that's all.