Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Preview of Omega Flight #1 *SPOILERS*

Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    What threads do you mean? I've read lots of very positive comments other places, and lots of people are showing excitement and anticipation.

Ben
    Same, but recently especially at newarama there was a thread bashing Flight and saying "NO WAY is it going to become an on-going". I will see if I can find the threads again

I checked comix-fan and Omega Flight is very positive, almost 8000 views too! More than Avenger and other 'big' books.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Quote Originally Posted by King Mungi
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    What threads do you mean? I've read lots of very positive comments other places, and lots of people are showing excitement and anticipation.

Ben
    Same, but recently especially at newarama there was a thread bashing Flight and saying "NO WAY is it going to become an on-going". I will see if I can find the threads again
    I found that thread and it was really as bash Kolins art thread and was really spearheaded by one guy who said he thought the art was muddy, coupled with not having a big name creative team, that the book had no chance of being an on-going.

Over on Marvel's boards there is a thread on which new title were you looking forward to and a lot of people there listed OF.

Quote Originally Posted by mreeez
    I found that thread and it was really as bash Kolins art thread and was really spearheaded by one guy who said he thought the art was muddy, coupled with not having a big name creative team, that the book had no chance of being an on-going.
    It was both, here it is if people want to read it

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=105015

i was in on that thread king, it was mostly that titan slade guy saying he didn't care for kollin's art, alot of people came to his defense, besides me.

overall i thought that thread was pretty positive since alot of people were saying it could support a ongoing, as well as the fact it wasn't just us die hard fans.

besides, xmen: first class was made a ongoing and it was selling like 22k a month.

Quote Originally Posted by varo
    i was in on that thread king, it was mostly that titan slade guy saying he didn't care for kollin's art, alot of people came to his defense, besides me.

overall i thought that thread was pretty positive since alot of people were saying it could support a ongoing, as well as the fact it wasn't just us die hard fans.

besides, xmen: first class was made a ongoing and it was selling like 22k a month.
    That wasn't the thread I was talking about, just posted what the others were mentioning. I'm still trying to find the ones I read in the back pages.

It seems like most of the people that I've seen talking about it have talked with some hope... but it still feels like quite a range don't know or care at all... on the other hand I guess there is no way to truly sense that at all, but it just seems to be 'another book' out there in some people's minds... and I know that if I weren't a Flight fan, I probably wouldn't look twice because I can't afford non-essentials right now... there isn't a big enough pull...

In another note, does anyone know around what number level these books would probably have to sell to qualify as ongoing or at least worthy of another miniseries continuation (which also might not be a bad idea, because then they can plot out solid story ideas without the pressures that come along with ongoings, especially good with something thats had a recent rocky history in some minds.
    The ability to defy death can be achieved...
    It is a state acquired through compassion not greed...

Quote Originally Posted by Shaman Of The Whills
    In another note, does anyone know around what number level these books would probably have to sell to qualify as ongoing...
    Well, She-Hulk sells around 22,000 a month, Ant-Man around 16,000 a month, Runaways about 22,000 a month, and all are ongoing still, like others (Spider-Girl) that are under 20000. So I'd say an average of 40-50000 would do it, bit it's up to the editors...

(got my numbers from mumbers3.boardhost.alphaflight.com or whatever it is...)
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokole
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaman Of The Whills
    In another note, does anyone know around what number level these books would probably have to sell to qualify as ongoing...
    Well, She-Hulk sells around 22,000 a month, Ant-Man around 16,000 a month, Runaways about 22,000 a month, and all are ongoing still, like others (Spider-Girl) that are under 20000. So I'd say an average of 40-50000 would do it, bit it's up to the editors...

(got my numbers from mumbers3.boardhost.alphaflight.com or whatever it is...)
    According to February, Heroes for Hire is 24,500, She-Hulk is selling in the 28,000 range. New Excalibur is 30,000, Iron Fist is 35,600, New X-Men is 37,000. I dont think any of these books are going to get cancelled, so if Omega Flight is even close to these number it should be ok. However, issue 1 always sell a lot more than issue 2. Depending on what the sales are for issue 5 will let us know how well Omega Flight did.

I hope it does well. I cant see a book like Blade outselling it. Blade only pulls in 19,100. I believe it will be cancelled shortly.

MikeM

i believe xmen: first class was pulling 19k a month and just got made into a ongoing.

then theres threads like these where the majority of people are stating they will be adding omega to their pull list launching out of cw.

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=106618

X-Men: First Class does really well on the non-direct market. Several of the lower end books Marvel produces do well outside the direct market, so they end up becoming ongoings. They get collected into trades and sell really well at Barnes and Nobles, Borders, Walton books, Amazon, etc. Therefor the direct market sells aren't much of a factor. Omega Flight, however, is going to need strong direct market sells out of the gate.

thanks for the input reber, can you help educate us on direct vs. non-direct?

direct=local comic shops?

non-direct=bookstores, convenience stores?

plus, is pre-sales a big factor as well? and if so wouldn't that number really only come from the direct market, since those are the induviduals that would know the accurate amount due to pre-sales, since i'm sure the non-direct would just order "x" amount not based on any ryme or reason, yet wouldn't that still factor into a books pre and post sales?

Yea, no problem. The direct market is basically your local comic shops. The mainstream /non-direct or whatever people call it is every where else. ie. Walmart, Target, bookstores, etc.

I can't really tell you how much a factor pre-sells will have. I know it doesn't hurt to have them high! In all seriousness though I am not an expert on this. I just have an idea of how things work from past experiences. I was on Runaways at the start and it had low sells, but did well in the mainstream market so it was easy to make it an ongoing. The way ordering works though is most retailers have to order 3 months in advance, so issues 2 and 3 will have their orders in before issue 1 hits stands. When they talk about pre-orders it's not just 1 issue they are talking about. Retailers will try and calculate the numbers they need to order by comparing it to a similar series. They are able to adjust the orders after they are submitted from what I believe and that's where the "overprints" come in. Marvel will take the initial order numbers and overprint a certain percent. Retailers can request more issues and once all of the overprint stock is out then they may or may not go to a second printing. Marvel rarely does that atleast they rarely use to. As a side when you see press releases about comics being "sold out" that is usually just for the retailers to know that the comic isn't available at certain levels of distribution so adjust the orders accordingly. It doesn't mean you can't find it in stores and it doesn't necessarily mean the comic did well. If they only printed 15k copies and it sells out that is hardly a success.

So if that massive paragraph should tell you anything it's that there is a ton of factors that go into whether a book is succeeding or not. The sales charts are just one factor.

Very interesting....soooooo...what do you think the chances of Omega Flight becoming an on-going?