Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Civil War: The Initiative- (SPOILERS!!) Alpha Flight related

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Primate
    So, here is the deal...I think that we should all quit our collective *****ing and give the man the benefit of the doubt and wait until the damn book actually comes out...
    I'm surprised no one saw this. It made me giggle.

Anyway I'm not as disapointed as I thought I'd be about this "worst case scenario". Firstly, like Mike said, Mac was dead to me long ago. Puck, everyone loves him, but in todays day and age, a little person super hero doesn't have the same effect as when he was created. In the 80s it was "Wow! A little person superhero! That's amazing!". These days it's unfortunately "Haha, look at him, this team is lame". Heather was one of he best, if not the best, female leaders in comics. She will be missed. We're lucky to have another strong female leader her in Talisman. Which brings me to my next point...er Pointer. Mike Pointer(wish he had a cooler name), yes he's american, yes he's wearing "the suit". At least he's not the leader of the team. That Talisman. He'll be in the background learning his powers(does he have he suit powers too or isit just cloth?). What really made V3 not work for me was (ok more then one but I'll just mention one) that no one wore "the suit". It didn't feel like Alpha.

Look at it this way, Guardian took out Galactus, but the Collective took out Guardian. That's pretty powerful. And he's our background character! Arachne will bring the sensitve, sensible, motherly aspects we lost with Heather, with cool psychic web stuff. USAgent went toe to toe with Cap America and will bring the confidence and conflict that Northstar originally had. BRB took out THOR. So did Mike Oeming. Wow! The the lovable Sasquatch who went toe to toe with the Thing and the Hulk. And lastely Talisman who is suposedly on par with Dr. Strange. This is a powerful team. I'm excited!

We don't know what type of person this Micheal Pointer is yet, but I'm sure he will become a very good supporting character, with or without "the suit". What if his mother was Canadian? What if he brings it upon himself to adopt baby (Hailey ) Hudson? Would that be easier to swallow? We don't know much yet but I'm excited to find out, as I hope do other people, Alpha fans or not.

Can't wait Mike!

I like the idea of mail man Mike. He had no control over killing all those people. I feel bad for him and think he will make a great character and a great addition to Omega Flight. You can call him Vindicator even. He does have a lot to vindicate.

HOWEVER, I dont like him in the Weapon Alpha/Vindicator/Guardian suit. If you want to put someone new in there, it should be a Canadian.

Honestly, how would American's feel if the new Captain America was Canadian.

I guess Omega Flight is now part of the 51 state initiative.

Oh, and I like Mike's work and I look forward to reading OF. I am disappointed about an American being in the suit.

MikeM

Quote Originally Posted by Tiberius Bane
    or at least, this is what Tony Stark and Reed Richards intend...something tells me it won't quite go down the way they plan.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    or at least, this is what Tony Stark and Reed Richards intend...something tells me it won't quite go down the way they plan.

Ben
    Actually that could make for a really cool story. I kind of just said it in jest, but now that you point that out Ben, I think it would lead to a good story.

MikeM

Well its obvious as to Why only sasquatch survived, its because while in his Sasquatch form Walter has quick healing, so where as the others would have died of wounds, sasquatch was healed from them.

The only one I'm sad about is puck, but then again he lived a long life.. the only 80 year old man still fighting lol..

Heather led the team for most of the time.. its time she was replaced sadly... but I honestly would have liked all to die but maybe her or puck and that person be in ICU for most of the series or in a coma.

Plus who knows, they made a big deal about Captain America being dead and yet in the Initiative Ms. Marvel tells Spider-woman that it was all a lie... so who knows... maybe this is all a lie?

Quote Originally Posted by SmurfInABlender
    Well its obvious as to Why only sasquatch survived, its because while in his Sasquatch form Walter has quick healing, so where as the others would have died of wounds, sasquatch was healed from them.

The only one I'm sad about is puck, but then again he lived a long life.. the only 80 year old man still fighting lol..

Heather led the team for most of the time.. its time she was replaced sadly... but I honestly would have liked all to die but maybe her or puck and that person be in ICU for most of the series or in a coma.

Plus who knows, they made a big deal about Captain America being dead and yet in the Initiative Ms. Marvel tells Spider-woman that it was all a lie... so who knows... maybe this is all a lie?
    I dont think Mail man Mike is going to be the leader. I think USAgent is.

Quote Originally Posted by SmurfInABlender

I dont think Mail man Mike is going to be the leader. I think USAgent is.
    Both choices are unappealing. It should be Talisman or Sasquatch only.
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Ben
    From what Oeming has said, I'm getting that vibe as well. Ben - you got any insider knowledge you can share with us?

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default I empathize, but things change (like ongoing to mini)

Quote Originally Posted by King Mungi
    Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Mike tell us Mike wouldn't be in the suit? I'm pissed he is.
    Yes, at the Baltimore Convention, as mentioned elsewhere. Mailman Mike wouldn't have been my choice, especially since I started reading Thunderbolts and learned that it is supposed to be a team made up of villains trying to do good. But since Alpha Flight was supposed to be dead (and now is confirmed dead; I won't get CW:I until tomorrow, payday), there didn't seem to be any way that James would survive. And, I have to agree, the real James Hudson has been dead for a long time.

This will not stop me from buying Omega Flight. Whatever corporate decisions are made to downgrade Alpha Flight are counter-productive. These are characters that people like. I don't know how many people, but the characters deserve respect just like Superman and Spider-Man and Batman and The Avengers and The Justice League of America. Or the company should have the nerve to admit that the characters are not well-respected within the company and should retire them.

Then, five, ten, fifteen years from now, maybe a creative/editorial team will come along with vision and conviction and produce a story/series that fulfills Alpha/Omega's true potential.

This is the comic company that killed Captain America we're grousing about. There is a good article on the death of Captain America in the Style section of today's Washington Post (3/8/07).
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Primate

Ben
    From what Oeming has said, I'm getting that vibe as well. Ben - you got any insider knowledge you can share with us?
    Any "insider information" that I'm allowed to share gets shared. Anything that I've been asked to keep under my hat stays under my hat. Same goes for when Millar first told me about this series. I knew about it long before it was announced. In Millar's original plan, Omega was supposed to play more of a roll in Civil War, but anything that's planned long term is subject to change. When Bendis "killed" Alpha it was all part of a plan that is now coming to fruition. How that actually plays out will remain to be seen.

Should I have any information that I'm allowed to share, I will. We do know however that Talisman gets into it with Stark ripping him a new tin- can opening.

Ben

Here's what I don't understand.

Leaving aside the issue of Pointer wearing the costume... what good is he?

According to CW:I. he has the power to absorb mutant energy. Given that there are only a couple hundred mutants left (most in NY) and no more mutants being born, he seems about as useful as a hydrokinetic in the desert, no?
    Mario

So, I just picked op CW:I...read the OF portion...re-wrote the OF portion...read it again. I gotta admit, I like it. I especially like Walter's quote:

This suit means something to me and my country...and when your training is done, you will honor the deaths of both our friends and family
    I think thats a powerful statement...and if the tone of OF remains in that vein, I think we'll all be (relatively) happy.

Something else dawned on me when I was reading the book. I think the thing that I was the most nervous about was the behavior of the character who donned the suit. If Pointer is written like a pompous yankee who belittles Canada, Canadians, Canadian culture, and Canadian sovereignty, I'm gonna be pissed as all hell. However, if Pointer is written like someone genuinely trying to atone for his past mistakes, honored Canadian culture, and respected Canada in general...I'm gonna be happy. After reading (re-reading...re-re-reading) the OF portion of CW:I, I got a very positive vibe. Even though it isn't a canuck in the suit, I don't think we have anything to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario

According to CW:I. he has the power to absorb mutant energy. Given that there are only a couple hundred mutants left (most in NY) and no more mutants being born, he seems about as useful as a hydrokinetic in the desert, no?
    He absorbed the energy from all the mutants who lost their powers, so N - 198ish of them. While he lost a good portion of that when the Sentry thew Xorn was thrown into sun, he presumably kept some of it. As I understand it he's still playing with some powers from those departed mutants, rather than having to go find new sources to siphon.

Any "insider information" that I'm allowed to share gets shared. Anything that I've been asked to keep under my hat stays under my hat. Same goes for when Millar first told me about this series. I knew about it long before it was announced. In Millar's original plan, Omega was supposed to play more of a roll in Civil War, but anything that's planned long term is subject to change. When Bendis "killed" Alpha it was all part of a plan that is now coming to fruition. How that actually plays out will remain to be seen.

Ben
    pretty much what I figured....and I'm sure the reason that this community has a nice connection with the creators is because of you...and your *very* professional attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario

He absorbed the energy from all the mutants who lost their powers, so N - 198ish of them. While he lost a good portion of that when the Sentry thew Xorn was thrown into sun, he presumably kept some of it. As I understand it he's still playing with some powers from those departed mutants, rather than having to go find new sources to siphon.

So, he's like Peter Petrelli from Heroes?