Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Civil War: The Initiative- (SPOILERS!!) Alpha Flight related

people were complaining that he wasn't a canadian...make him canadian...make him take canadian citizenship...I think that would be cool.

Thanks Varo! But no one is pissing me off, Ive been through this before, remember, I killed THOR

As for me stating Michael wasn't going to be in the uniform, I dont remember saying that, if I did, I mispoke/mistyped it and apologize to anyone who felt mislead by that.

To me, this is only one TRUE Guardian and he died an amazing death in Alpha Flight #12 and that was the end of his story. Canada's hero was never the costume, it was the man inside the costume. To me, Alpha Flight was never about BEING Canada or Canadian, it was about being in service TO Canada and Canadians.

I think that was always the point of the team.
    READ POWERS DAILY FOR FREE!
    http://comics.newsarama.com/powers/

wow - straight from the mouth of the man himself. Regardless of all of the bitterness flying about...I think that everyone here will agree that you are a class act all the way Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Oeming
    To me, Alpha Flight was never about BEING Canada or Canadian, it was about being in service TO Canada and Canadians.

Like been a légionnaire for France
    Quand l'appétit va, tout va!
    -Obélix

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Primate
    what if he took Canadian citizenship...that would be cool.
    How about this, if the States lets a Canadian take over as Captain America now that Rogers is dead, we'll be okay with Mike as Guardian/Weapon Alpha/whatever he's going to be called.

I agree.. and I'm not just sucking up I honestly do agree (seriously what woudl i get out of suckign up anyways?)

I Think Mike will make a good new addition to the Marvel Universe... And I've said it before.. I always thought Mac was a little bland.. He was Vindicator with nothing really to vindicate, he was Gaurdian when he himself had a problem with his technology being used for the military.. for the first time I see a leader who has something to vindicate.. he's kind of like a spider-man if you think about it.. he feels personally responsable for something and now has devoted his life to making sure no one else can do that... I think, written the right way, it will be Postman Mike that soars Omega into an ongoing. Becuase I think he will draw the curiosity of buyers... and I think Oeming can turn him into a leader with personality..

Thanks Varo! But no one is pissing me off, Ive been through this before, remember, I killed THOR

As for me stating Michael wasn't going to be in the uniform, I dont remember saying that, if I did, I mispoke/mistyped it and apologize to anyone who felt mislead by that.

To me, this is only one TRUE Guardian and he died an amazing death in Alpha Flight #12 and that was the end of his story. Canada's hero was never the costume, it was the man inside the costume. To me, Alpha Flight was never about BEING Canada or Canadian, it was about being in service TO Canada and Canadians.

\

And you sir, weather slings and arrows with commendable good grace.

Hats off.

Still buyin' the books, ya know.
    "You cannot win, mailman Mike. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

dude...I'm starting a petition right now...Captain Canuck for the new Captain America.

I would LOVE to see the a new Cap as a non-American- what better way to see our culture than through the eyes of a non-American?

That said, there can only EVER be one real Cap, and thats Steve Rogers- like the Guardian, its not the suit, its the man.

Iron Man can be anyone though
    READ POWERS DAILY FOR FREE!
    http://comics.newsarama.com/powers/

Iron Man can be anyone though
    As long as they are drunk that is.

Tony had the controls calibrated so they work better when inebriated

I would very much like to point everyone to a similar discussion going on over at the jinxworld forum.

http://www.606studios.com/bendisboar...d.php?t=105848

Some interesting comments.

As for a yankee "representing" Canada and Canadians, I've got to admit it makes me feel uncomfortable. I'm a canuck whose lived in the U.S. for awhile (doing my PhD at an american university and then become a professor at another american university). I see how we are portrayed in the pop culture of the united states, and I know how we are perceived in the collective consciousness of many americans. This is why I sympathize with many people on this board who feel that the makeup of OF sends the wrong message about Canada's sovereignty.

However, that having been said, Oeming has repeatedly talked about his plans to explore the underbelly of american nationalism in OF...as well as the positive aspects of the U.S. as well. He's also repeatedly talked about portraying Canada positively and in a way that will make all canucks proud. Its about damn time that American's saw our homeland the same way that we do...and I think that this book just might do this.

So, here is the deal...I think that we should all quit our collective *****ing and give the man the benefit of the doubt and wait until the damn book actually comes out...if we love it, we love it...if we hate it, we hate it...lets just wait and see. And yes, I'll shut my bloddy cake hole now as well.

Isn't the Iron Man armor where Steve Rogers is hiding out, secretly working WITH Tony to keep the Initiative on the right track?

btw, I've read The Intiative OF section 4 more times and, since it's now a reality, I'm coming to terms with the new information...and it does make for an interesting set of conflicts in OF....Talisman working with the guy who killed her father, for example. I'm still hoping there'll be some sort of government conspiracy that lied to Walt and are keeping the "dead" AF in stasis somewhere, waiting to be rescued by Snowbird and the twins during my imaginary 25th anniversary Reunion mini.

Continuing to break my lenten vow...

Ben, and others I think are missing the point of the sentiment.

We aren't condemning Mike. Everyone here thinks he's a cool guy.
    We aren't condemning the book.

We are however putting forth how disappointed we are in the direction of the story. I for one, am still disappointed. Someone telling me "you haven't read the book yet so don't be disappointed you fool" is not going to make me un-disappointed.

I don't like the idea of an American in the Guardian costume. Its my opinion. I'm sure that every writer knows you can't please 100% of the people 100% of the time. I'm one of the not pleased people. Its no big deal.

I also don't agree that "Alpha Flight wasn't about being Canadian." In my opinion it was exactly that. Not the individual members per se but the team itself. It was the superhuman face of Canada, and now I don't think it can be called that... It may be serving Canada now, but it is serving Canada with strings. If a war broke out between the U.S. and Canada who here could honestly say that we would see the team would choose to fight for Canada? I never doubted that USAgent would go for the U.S. but he's the foil to the team, and I like that, Guardian on the other hand is the symbol of the country... I think that he should at least take off the maple leaf. It would have been different if Mike had been all "I wanna use my powers for good to make up for my past!" But instead he was coerced into the suit...

Most of all though I have to look at this in terms of realistic what I believe the real life reaction would be. If the Canadian public found out that an American was wearing their flag the reaction would be only slightly less dramatic then if a Leafs fan found out that the team captain of the Leafs was playing with a Canadiens "C" on his jersey. And as a Leafs fan, I can tell you that the reaction to that would be very... very... ugly. Fans of Toronto teams are vicious, just ask Vince Carter. Americans and Canadians are like brothers, and because of that there's a lot of sibling rivalry.

I'm only gonna buy one copy of this book and I think that's understandable. If I shouldn't condemn a book before I read it, it wouldn't be reasonable to universally endorse it either. I want to read Mike's story and all, but I was planning on promoting something heavily that at least partially akin to an AF. If I had the money I'd buy extra copies anyway but I don't, Nova Scotia has really high tuition. Sorry Mike, I feel guilty for going back on my word. I'll still ask my LCS to highlight the series though.

My stuff is read, so I'm deleting most of it.

Good luck Mr. Oeming, seems things got a lot tougher again for Flight fans.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Look....Mike the Mailman isn't my first choice to wear the Guardian suit, but its not a totally bad idea...give it a chance....also all this talk about not buying OF is just what Joe Q wants you to do......Buy this book and in mass quantities so it can last long enough for Omeing to make some changes......At least Sasquatch made it and now Mike can call himself Vindicator......he has a lot to be vindicated for......If Omega Flight doesn't get support from US then it won't be Mike the Mailman that kills Alpha Flight...it will be Us.......