Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Civil War: The Initiative- (SPOILERS!!) Alpha Flight related

Well, that pretty much kills my interest in buying Omega Flight.

A Non-american, and the guy who killed AF in the Guardian suit?

Pass.

you know, i totally forgot about the whole "american wearing a canadian national flag" angle.

you guys are right. kinda sac-relig.

does alaska count as north canada?

Quote Originally Posted by varo
    does alaska count as north canada?

Speaking as someone who grew up in Fairbanks (about a half hour's drive from where the Collective touched down, hilariously enough)- Not really.

There are cultural similarities between Alaska, and, say, Yukon, but there is a distinct identity.

We're closer to being Canucks, than, say, Californians, but still no cigar.

EDIT: Of course, for all I know, the boys in New York don;t realize that Alaska's a State... Part of the common ground is the lack ofregard we get in mainstream culture.

I'm kinda sad.

I hate being right.
    "You cannot win, mailman Mike. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

Once again, I feel disappointed and cheated. It's bad enough that Canada's super team is pretty much non-Canadian, but now our symbolic national hero is an American doing community service. Who thought this was a good idea?
    I still hope OF does well for Mike and Scott's sake, but it will never be AF. And since AF is dead I don't expect an AF title will ever be seen again. Oh, and the whole "revolving door of Death" in the Marvel U doesn't give me any hope. If the team is seen as too messed up now, another return from the grave won't help.

You know, I'm kind of disappointed in some reactions to this news. Keep in mind that "Postman Mike" was NOT in control of himself when he killed AF, it speaks nothing of the character. He is NOT guardian, he is Weapon Alpha at this point, and could easily take the role of Vindicator, actually having something to vindicate. This is a vehicle people, a way to get the attention of readers that wouldn't normally get a "flight" book. Yah, the guy is American, but he has atonement to make in Canada.

No one has read the anything yet. We have Talisman, we have Sasquatch, BRB, who is bound to a Canadian, and three American characters. This title IS after all spinning out from Civil war, which took place in the US. I had pretty much already figured that Mike was gonna be in the suit.

IMO this is not a big deal. The book still looks like it'll be incredible, so lets read it before crying about one character.

BTW, you should be glad, because when Millar FIRST told me about this series, before Oeming was even on-board, the plan was for an ALL AMERICAN team.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by King Mungi
    Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Mike tell us Mike wouldn't be in the suit? I'm pissed he is.
    Yeah, I recall this too. Was it an Oeming post, or someone who talked to Omeing at a con or something?

Can anyone clarify?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    No one has read the anything yet. We have Talisman, we have Sasquatch, BRB, who is bound to a Canadian, and three American characters. This title IS after all spinning out from Civil war, which took place in the US. I had pretty much already figured that Mike was gonna be in the suit.
    Most of us did too, but we were holding out hope he wasn't, and there was alot of misinformation being spread around to make it sound like he wouldn't be.

IMO this is not a big deal. The book still looks like it'll be incredible, so lets read it before crying about one character.
    Why is it when someone complains about something they don't like, they have to be insulted by being said to be "crying"? For the record, I don't care about Mike one way or the other, it's the fact that Mac was killed in a lame way and his killer is then given his suit and (former) name to take over in his place. If you want Mike on the team fine, but he should have a different name and costume IMO.

BTW, you should be glad, because when Millar FIRST told me about this series, before Oeming was even on-board, the plan was for an ALL AMERICAN team.
    Yeah, lucky us. If they had stuck with the original idea then I wouldn't have wasted all these months hoping/expecting to see a new Flight team that could possibly lead to the return of my favourite characters. I could have just put the idea of a real AF title behind me for good.

Ok, fine. People are welcome to their opinions, I just don't understand something like this making people turn full circle on their opinions of the book's prospects. I think we should at the very least read issue #1 before condemning the series.

I understand that this news upset some people, but I feel pretty sure that Oeming has some interesting angles planned if he decided to use this character.

Ben

I went out and picked the issue up... It is handeled VERY well in my opinion.. and like ben said, he didn't know he was killing people infact he killed all his friends without knowing.. he was willing to get the chair for this (yes I know the chair is not used any more) I just... I dunno.. I think it will be really interesting. I was strongly against Mailman Mike until i read the Initiative... I think it was done VERY well.

I for one will be the devils advocate and say I'm glad Mike is Weapon Alpha.. because believe me.. it sure as heck made an impact on the market and tons of people will buy the comic now.

Yeah he's not Canadian but you know.. he is from Alaska and I think its close enough.. and he really wants to do what is right and wants to atone for what he did. I for one am supporting this move. Call me a traitor but I am

I for one am not condemning the series, I'm just disappointed by what they are doing with Guardian's suit.

what if he took Canadian citizenship...that would be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by SmurfInABlender
    Yeah he's not Canadian but you know.. he is from Alaska and I think its close enough..
    ONce again, Speaking as an Alaskan... uh, no.
    "You cannot win, mailman Mike. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

listen guys, i am a bit peterved as well that alpha has not been handled correctly from the higher ups (editorially not creatively).

but.....

we are now pissing off a incredibly creative writer who has poured his heart and soul into making omega a top seller and i wouldn't be suprised if he walked even if omega was made a ongoing. (see the sticky at the top of his forums for more)

guys, the reality of the matter is, the alpha flight we all love never sold (post byrne), marvel has put out what it feels will give omega the best chance to succeed, whether we agree or not.

i would love to see mac back in the suit, surrounded by sas, puck, northstar/aurora, shaman and snowbird. but for now thats not going to happen and oemings omega has my full support.

Uh, I'm sure Michael can handle a little criticism of his work. He wouldn't have made it this far as a comic book writer or artist if he couldn't handle anything more strong than "you're awesome, we love you"

He's been coming to this forum,even asked people for input and information about Canada. If he didn't think some people were going to be upset about this, he wasn't paying much attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Primate
    what if he took Canadian citizenship...that would be cool.
    what time does it do to have the citizenship? 2 years? well, that would make sense for mailman mike to get the suit after that. Like, after the training, after controling his powers, and if he gain the citizenship, now (for me) that would make sense. I't like the new mutants had costume ready for them when they would graduate, well, that would have been the same for Mike.

But would it have make the same impact if mailman mike would hvae only join OF, not been in the suit?

But except for that, I want to read the rest.
    Quand l'appétit va, tout va!
    -Obélix