Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Civil War: The Initiative- (SPOILERS!!) Alpha Flight related

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothsKiller
    Okay, I know alot of people from all over the British Isles and so I'll tell you. Scots, Welsh people, the Irish, and so on would probably be really offended. Particularly the Welsh. I mean I'm sure not every person from these places has these hangups, but everyone I know from these nations does.
    Okay, so you've just spoken for every single Scottish/Welsh/Irish person alive???? Every single one of them has the same carbon copy thought without any right for deviation or individualism and you have the right to speak for them????

I'm pretty sure that having been born and raised within the British Isles I know more than 'a lot' of Scottish and Welsh people, not to mention that the Irish have nothing to do with the British Isles but rather the United Kingdom (your presumption that they're part of the British Isles is in fact an offensive comment in itself to some people...), and I'm proud to say that we're allowed independant thoughts and viewpoints over here and what offends one person may not necessarilly offend another...

How can you be so sure they "probably would be offended" ?
    Surely that's just stereotyping and pigeonholing people's thoughts just because of where they're from, implying that every single Scots, Welsh etc thinks exactly the same?

Maybe that just says more about the people you know from these nations....

Man...
    Seriously, I need to leave this thread now.

I'm going back to talking about pretty pictures and fictional words in a fictional universe that has it's own number.

I actually wrote: "I'm sure not every person from these places has these hangups" and thus did not speak for every single Scott/Welsh/Irish person alive. I was merely pointing out an attitude which I have found among many of my friends from these places and which I have been informed by these friends is a widespread belief. I'm deeply sorry if my reporting these beliefs has offended you Phil.

Really though, I wouldn't get all defensive if someone wrote "Canadians like hockey" even though there are exceptions to this. I don't expect someone to write academically: "There is widespread sentiment among the Canadian population that Hockey is an enjoyable sport, as evidenced by its place as one of Canada's two national sports. It must be noted however that not all Canadians like Hockey, some people find its violence distasteful, while others dislike it for other reasons. The exact number of Canadians professing to like hockey is X%. (Source: X)." People make informed generalizations, that isn't anything new, and that is what I did.

Oh, and many sources still refer to Ireland as a member of the British Isles. http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/Regions/ We know better but it's just easier. Less letters.

On a Lighter note I wouldn't mind a super hero team that had members from all over the british isles.. liek maybe Banshee and Union Jack and uh.. (Quick name me a scotish hero) it woudl be cool to have like excaliber but one for all of the british isles..

or an all Irish team would be awesome even if they wern't always in Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus
    Phil, try to imagine how a Scot, and a nationalist one, might feel about a "Captain Scotland" character, if there was one, being an English man with no Scottish roots.
    I'm not one, so can't.
    So, you don't have an imagination? No offense, but thats rather a cop out.
    No, it's more a case of me respecting the Scots and not presuming how they think or act or trying to enforce my viewpoints into their mouths.
    I'm not Scottish so how dare I presume to act like a Scotsman?
    For me to stereotype an entire nations thoughts and attempt to speak for them? That's just rude.
    Oh please. I didn't ask you to stereotype an entire nation's thoughts, or any of the other garbage you're talking about in your reply. I tried to use a local example that might illustrate my viewpoint to you.

Thanks for the strawman though. Any other intellectual fallacies you'd like to toss my way while you're at it?

We are all (sorry - generalization, there!) getting a little testy lately,

I think we all need a good dose of comics reading to level off those nasty emotions.
    Since Omega Flight is not yet out...
    I am going to go and continue what I started a few days ago - rating Alpha Flight Volume 1 comics in batches of ten (1-10, 11-20, etc) for my own pleasure, seeing which of the groups of ten are of higher quality overall (IMHO) and which are not.
    Those interested, you can see this at
    http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/
    but bear with me, it may take a while to go through them all.

The rest of you, get some good sleep, eat healthy, and think good thoughts.
    "Slainte Mhath, Slainte Mhor"
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Right, but my point is, that not being Canadian I don't have that to base it upon.
    I know, that was why I was trying to explain it to you.

I wonder if there are similar Excalibur forums that lamented the fact that only two of the members of the New Excalibur were English?

p.s. maybe three members, I can't remember if Sage is English.

even the original excaliber had nightcrawler who is german and kitty pride who is american....

I wish Excaliber was all british... there are enough british heroes out there to do so.. and if not..make some lol

So, Im thinking last night about this whole Guardian is an American thing and I thought, hey, Northstar should become the new Captain America!
    He was killed, resurrected and brainwashed. He slaughtered hundreds of citizens on American soil while working with the Hand. He even attacked SHIELD. He's got a lot to atone for. He should become the new Captain America to atone for those sins and make it up to the country he did it in.

What?

MikeM

See now that would be interesting! How would homophobic America react to Northstar in the Cap suit? I hate to say it, but I'd love to see that happen JUST to see the media and Conservative Christian response! But then I guess I'm a little twisted like that. Great suggestion! I don't think folks would have any issue with him being Canadian. I'll grant you that.

This would also fit into Marvel's mindset of fringe characters doing pennance. Speedball, Mailman Mike, why not Northstar? Of course they'd probably ruin him by having the Cap suit magically transform him into a strapping hetero American! Or maybe he'd become metrosexual when he put on the suit. The possibilities are limitless.
    "Well, the only person talking about love today is the preacher. And it seems noboday gets just all the learning but the teacher."

The Temptations "Ball of Confusion"

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default LOTS of Mighty Avengers in Silver Spring...

Quote Originally Posted by mreeez
    Just call the team Avengers North and be done with it.
    My anger over the hyper-promotion of Mighty Avengers and the slight promotion of Omega Flight aside, when I went to find a copy of CW:I on Saturday in Wheaton, I also stopped at the comic shop in Silver Spring, and it had a whole bunch of MA...just waiting to be bought. Not being a big fan of any of the characters in MA and even less of an Iron Man fan now that he has "won" the Civil War, I let it pass. But Captain America #25 is sold out in every comic shop I've been to!

I write all of that to write this: after six months to get prepared for the option that I didn't want to see (Mailman Mike in the "Guardian" suit), the Omega Flight segment in CW:I was well-done. Walter was matter-of-fact and no-nonsense, didn't say a word to Reed as he entered, and didn't seem happy at all. Mailman Mike seems genuinely remorseful, and giving him some backstory was an excellent idea. I don't really know how his mutant-absorbing powers are going to be used, but I'm going to make another assumption that since REED RICHARDS designed this particular suit, it will function better than the one spliced together from the Delphine Courtney robot that grafted itself onto Heather.

I don't know who will lead OF, but the way Walter was portrayed in this issue is how I envision Walter assembling (no pun intended) a team.
    I also think that Walter wouldn't try to lead this team all by himself, like some average, everyday team. Walter would try to avoid interteam rivalries with as diverse a bunch of teammates as this and would co-lead with someone else. Whether this would cause tension would be fodder for future stories.

Lastly, after the five-issue mini, I hope Mailman Mike gets a recurring role in a Bendis book because the way he is written, I'd say this is a character he likes.
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

Quote Originally Posted by SmurfInABlender
    And I would liek to voice my opinion too...
    You have and you are now...Your point?

no one has come out and said "this book is goign to suck" but all I hear is "This was a dumb idea!" "This is the worst idea in marvel history" I mean it is obviously implied, I'm simply boiving my own opinion and saying i'm tryign to be positive..
    Then why use the word "we" as in..."if we go into it thinking "man this book will suck" then it will, but if we go in with optimism then we might be suprised"? You really shouldn't use "we" if you're referring to yourself. If you meant that we as a group should be optimistic and positive, then I'd have to say...Please don't try to tell us how "we" should feel.

I never said any of you were whining...
    You said above..."but all I hear is "This was a dumb idea!" "This is the worst idea in marvel history"...Sounds like you're saying that we are whining. It's just how some of us feel, you feel differently...So leave it at that, then.

I'm just trying to point out things that maybe people havn't looked at yet.

I appologize for not jumping on the "i hate marvel" Bandwagon

-Jonathan
    No need to apologize for having your own view and there's really no need for the snide "i hate marvel Bandwagon" comments.

Please let us have our own views, thanks.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Soooo, getting back to the book (should I wave a white flag?.. wait Walter waived a flag suit infront of Mailman Mike that started all this... maybe not the best idea...) Anyway...

Just a quick observation at the preview art in the back of CW:I. The Beautiful work by Scott Kolins looks a little out of focus to me. Anyone else notice this? Look at the page before and page after, you'll see what I mean. I know his new style is to smudge the shading, but I doubt he smudged the outlines. Is this just a printing error? I hope so cause it kinda gave me a headache trying to focus. I don't know if I could get through 22 pages!

yeah I noticed it as a little more blurred but i think its trying to kind of put a little more of an "artistic" feel to it then a comic feel perhaps.. but i can see both sides

I thought the big reveal about who is in the Guardian suit was supposed to be in issue #2 of OF?