Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Civil War: The Initiative- (SPOILERS!!) Alpha Flight related

Default Civil War: The Initiative- (SPOILERS!!) Alpha Flight related

Well I just got home and read the CW Int. one-shot. It has the little story with Sassy holding the Guardian suit showing the bastard mailman it. (We've seen the art before)

Well, I'm sorry to report that Alpha Flight is dead. Everyone but Sassy died against the Collective. Sassy says so himself.

And my worst fear has come to light. The mailman will be wearing the Guardian suit to learn to control his powers and to "honor" everyone that he killed, by being a hero for Canada. I'm so pissed...............

Mac, Heather, Shaman, Puck..their all dead.

Long live Alpha Flight.

This news (especially about the mailman wearing the suit) my have me not even consider reading the OF mini now.

I'd go into detail more, but I've gotta get back to work soon.

There's a 5 page preview involving Walt and Michael here:

http://forum.alphaflight.net/posting...e=reply&t=1945

I'll wait and read this before I pass judgment on it. As for Omega Flight, as long as it's a good story and carries the threads of Alpha I'm along for the ride regardless of who's in the suit.

I'm not going to get pissed about this, since I'm past being pissed about the Alpha death. I'm happy that Walt survived at least and we know that death is never very final for comic characters.

I'm interested to see how Michael being in the suit becomes a point of conflict and drama within the book. So long as it serves some purpose to the story I'm game.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Mike tell us Mike wouldn't be in the suit? I'm pissed he is.

The deaths of Heather, even Mac and the others I can handle. But putting the mailman in the Guardian suit is just plain stupid.

I'm just pissed with alot about comics these passed few weeks. The ending of Civil War, the revelations in the Initiative, and the events in the Captain America book have really annoyed me.

I'm not going to say "I told you so"...But I will say...This sucks. Some of you are okay with the originals being killed off? I'm truly disappointed in Marvel and my fellow AF fans.

I'm seriously considering not even picking this OF crap up now.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

i really don't mind it and it makes sense. guys, mac and heather are dead. who else did you want in the suit?

makes sense, he is wearing it to honor the team he unwillingly killed, at least its not some random "hey lets stick this guy in the suit"

a few points:

1. I won't condemn a character we really haven't gotten to know yet. I think that Mike could have some interesting potential.

2. AF may be dead, but people are talking about them more than I can ever remember.

3. Dead doesn't mean dead. If they have to get "knocked off" to get the attention they need to have a viable series, so be it, characters can come back, but not if no one cares about them, talks about them, or reads about them.

Ben

Hey, I was just thinking that, as they saw fit to put an American in the Weapon Alpha battlesuit/uniform, and one that killed our native hero-team to boot, well, maybe now that Steve Rogers is dead they can stick, say, a reformed bin Laden in the Cap. America uniform? Or maybe a reformed Graviton?

Whaddaya think? How would that go over?

I'm breaking Lent for this.

I feel that this is an extremely poor move. All of it. The idea that he's working for the team is a poor decision, and the idea that everyone died but Sasquatch... I expected at least a few others to have survived but quit... The power level of these characters doesn't make sense. Worse off is the fact that Oeming said on his boards at Jinx that it was a move to get attention for the readers...

Now I may just be a crazy patriot and all of that, but I'm not sure that I understand why an American is wearing the Guardian suit. This can be directly seen as a metaphor that Canadianism is a superficial guise, something I don't appreciate. There isn't any reason for the move, Mike could learn to control his powers without the suit. Why after all would Sasquatch want to honour his dead friend this way? Especially since the suit could be worn by someone else... I don't know maybe a CANADIAN!?

Like Ben said I won't condemn the character, but I'm more than ready to condemn the concept.

I really don't like the fact that we have a grand total of two characters on a Canadian team who are actually Canadian. (If Sasquatchstays.) Basically the whole vibe seems to be shaping up into a "Canada can't take care of themselves" monologue. I feel almost as if Canada is being depicted as a third world country that the States has oil interests in. This feeling grew in Choosing sides, now it has been confirmed. Oeming did say that he was using this "to do is comment on how America is perceived" I didn't think that meant that Canada was going to be a sidebar...

I long for volume 3 to come back.....

New characters are being introduced all the time in the MU, and the new Initiative ongoing is made up of mostly obscure characters, and yet it is completely inconceivable that any more super powered Canadians decided to throw their hat in to the ring? I feel slighted on behalf of my country.

I'm not trying to say that the comic is evil. A good story is a good story. If it has a good story I'll buy it, and I'll read it. However it isn't remotely an Alpha Flight book to me and I am not viewing it as a Canadian anymore team anymore. The team is no more Canadian then if the RCMP went ahead and let the NYPD operate up here.

I was originally gonna buy several copies of OF and get my LCS store owner to hand some out, even though I'm a student with no cash. Now I'll just buy one copy for myself.

Joe Q said that this time he thinks Alpha fans will get their butts in gear and support their title. I sure know I I'll support an Alpha Flight comic when one comes up to support.

I'm with SephirothsKiller, Powersurge and any other Canadian who feels this is a slap in the face.

I'm not even Canadian, but I'm totally disgusted by this terrible idea No American should be slapped into a Canadian-flag costume, just for pennance. It's ridiculous.

I'm not sure what to be more pissed about...AF dead or this American as Vindicator/Guardian atrocity.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Mailman Mike as Guardian? If true, sounds like OF may be Lobedellesque, which in no way is good, no way.

Killing off all of AF, then putting a mailman, American no less, in the suit, is suicide.

Can Marvel say, "What do you mean sales fell 10% across the board??"

If we're lucky, Mailman Mike will turn out to be a Department H project who is actually Canadian and has some reason to be Guardian. And that Wild Child will replace Steve Rogers as Captain America.

Or maybe Mailman Guardian is not true, or he'll be killed by the Wrecking Crew and the real next Guardian will step forward.

Yes, we'll have to wait and see what Mr. Oeming writes but like all of you, I have a minimum level of 'respect' that I want to see. And if things keep going the way they are, I'll drop OF after issue #1 and swear off Marvel forever. I've done it before, one business even went out of business after they screwed me, my big mouth cost them big time.

And people say Joe Q and Tom B aren't against AF or OF? Proof, please.

If OF #1 sucks, Make Mine DC!!
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

It's the first thing a don't really like about Oeming plans on Omega Flight. Since mailman mike is almost a blank character, I don't mind the character. It's the principal of putting an american in a suit that symbolize the canadian identity that I really don't like.

Maybe Oeming will suprise me, I don't know. I'm still on the wait and see mode.
    Quand l'appétit va, tout va!
    -Obélix

There are a lot of things I have to say at the moment, but none of them are nice. So I'll simply do as my mom told me and not say anything at all.

I think Marvel really went over the line by not having a Canadian in the suit.....Alpha Flight WAS a Canadian superteam when last I checked and with US Agent and a non-Canadian in the Guardian suit, it makes it look like Canada is the US's 51st state, complete with its own "Initiative" Superteam. It would have been a simple matter to "un-kill" James and have him on the team, creating more of a partnership with the US rather than a puppet-state. Personally, and I'll admit to bias, AF isn't AF without a Hudson in the suit. There wouldn't even BE an AF without James and Heather. I'm seriously considering dropping OF as well. At least Vol. 3 kept the Canadian team CANADIAN.
    Maybe Marvel will come to its senses and we can have a "Reunioun" mini-series next year for the 25th anniversary of Vol. 1

I'll stop ranting now

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceGuardian
    I think Marvel really went over the line by not having a Canadian in the suit.....Alpha Flight WAS a Canadian superteam when last I checked and with US Agent and a non-Canadian in the Guardian suit, it makes it look like Canada is the US's 51st state, complete with its own "Initiative" Superteam.
    I think you're on to the point. In Marvel 616, Canada is soon to be the 51st state.

Anybody ask Mike Oeming if this is true, so I can cut my order to Omega Flight.

Funny, Bill Rosemann emailed my son about "Why only OF"? Now he's going to find out why.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.