Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Adam custom figure

Default Black Adam custom figure

From the moment I saw the Superhero Showdown Namor figure I knew I wanted to make a Black Adam out of it. The face sculpt looked perfect to me. So, after finally thinking out how I was going to do it, and having done a little sculpting on earlier customs...I was finally ready. And honestly, I can't say how happy I am with the results. To me it turned out perfectly. The only complaint I would have is the black paint. I didn't want to use the glossy black on him, feeling the flat would work out better. It scrapes off a little on the shoulders and hips, but it's easy enough to touch up once in a while.

So, first I thought I'd show you what I started with: Marvel Legends Showdown Namor.

To get my Black Adam ready I had to do some (for me) serious sculpting. I smoothed over the shorts, and overly-heavy striations on his chest. I also covered over the toes, sanded off the ankle wings and made some soles for the boots (complete with grips on the bottom). And of course, the folded-over boot tops. I know the seams are supposed to go all the way up the boot and not be on the tops, but I thought it looked better the opposite way. The sash is some thin fabric painted gold and tied around his waist.. The chest symbol is regular paper with several coats of paint cut into two pieces and shaped to the chest and abdomen. Finally, I sculpted over the small wrist bands to extend all the way up the forearm. And thus I present: Black Adam!

And Mr 'No knowledge at all' says "Who's Black Adam"?
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Here's a 2-page origin story:
    http://www.dccomics.com/heroes_and_v...?hv=black_adam

And a wiki entry:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Adam

I was going more forthe second look.

Thanks Obsidian, not a character I know, but the Wiki entry is thorough.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Looks good, man.

As a big fan of all things relat6ed to that OTHER Captain Marvel, I gotta say, you did aces.
    "You cannot win, mailman Mike. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

Thanks much. I'm trying to think of something fun / interesting to do so I can show him off with Captain Marvel, but I'm drawing a blank there. Other than a simple fight sequence, which isn't the most interesting thing in the world...

Make a Shazam... and them have 'em squabbling over dinner or something.
    "You cannot win, mailman Mike. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

LOL a Shazam figure might not be a bad idea. I might actually have a donor figure that could work. If not, I definitely have a head that could work, which is usually the hardest thing to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian3d
    LOL a Shazam figure might not be a bad idea. I might actually have a donor figure that could work. If not, I definitely have a head that could work, which is usually the hardest thing to find.
    I beleive a superman head would work jsut fine wouldn't it? seeing as the entire lawsuit was based on Mr. Marvel resemblign superman toomuch

No, Shazam is the old WIZARD.

The hero of the title is named "Captaim Marvel."

Yes. Another one.

oops, sorry dumb move on my part, embaressing... keep in mind i have only been into comics for about a year lol... I'll make dumb comments now and then.. but isn't Shazam based off of the old Captain Marvel? I'm confused

Not quite. The guy in the red outfit that looks like Black Adam here is actually called Captain Marvel. He long predates the character with the same name used by Marvel comics. Long ago DC launched a lawsuit against the company that created Captain Marvel, claiming the likeness and powers were a rip-off of Superman. After that, they were granted rights to the Captain Marvel character and stopped using him for almost two decades. During that time, Marvel Comics created their own Captain Marvel character and copyrighted it, thus making it so DC can't publish comics with his name in the title.

Captain Marvel's mentor is the wizard Shazam. It's also the magic word Billy Batson says to become Captain Marvel.

Yeah, and sense a Shazam figure would resember Captain Marvel who resembled superman.. my poitn was wouldn't a superman head work for shazam? Or am I wrong to assume that?

It's an interesting idea, but I've never felt that Shazam and Captain Marvel needed to have any kind of physical resemblance. They're not family in any way, more like master and student. Shazam is also more of a "wise old wizard" kind of character in my mind. That said...I think I have a suitable head I could use.