Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: X-Men Annual '07 - SPOILER HEAVY

Quote Originally Posted by syvalois
    Quote Originally Posted by SephirothsKiller
    I enjoyed this issue, but one thing drove me crazy.... Dissociative Identity Disorder does NOT equal Schizophrenia!! I think it is VERY irresponsible of Marvel to allow misconceptions of such serious mental issues to continue to be perpetuated. I know that it was a character who said it and so the character could be mistaken but still... Most people would simply take what she said at face value.
    What? you are saying in this issue, they are mixing dissociative Identity disorder and Schizophrenia? I don't know much about each but from what I know they seems very different.

Aurora is the 1st one. She got at least 2 identities. From what I know schizophrenia, you can see and hear voice, but you are not 2 persons like Aurora is.
    That's exactly right, and in the issue Rogue says: "Bring Jean-Paul back form the brainwashing --and, just maybe, Jeanne-Marie from her Schizophrenia."

Unfortunately, marvel has made this mistake before (I believe it was with Aurora then too, but I forget where and when exactly) and they will probably make it again.

I agree that it's a really stupid/uninformed/irresponsible mistake coming from either ignorance or pure laziness. There is no excuse for it.

Dana

I enjoyed this issue, but one thing drove me crazy.... Dissociative Identity Disorder does NOT equal Schizophrenia!! I think it is VERY irresponsible of Marvel to allow misconceptions of such serious mental issues to continue to be perpetuated. I know that it was a character who said it and so the character could be mistaken but still... Most people would simply take what she said at face value.
    What? you are saying in this issue, they are mixing dissociative Identity disorder and Schizophrenia? I don't know much about each but from what I know they seems very different.

Aurora is the 1st one. She got at least 2 identities. From what I know schizophrenia, you can see and hear voice, but you are not 2 persons like Aurora is.
    That's exactly right, and in the issue Rogue says: "Bring Jean-Paul back form the brainwashing --and, just maybe, Jeanne-Marie from her Schizophrenia."
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

The writers whould know better, but the mistake is common among the general public. The no-prize explanation would be that Rogue didn't know the difference and JP didn't feel the need to correct her.

"I'm schizophrenic and so am I" just has a better ring to it than "I have multiple personality disorder and so do I."
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Dissociative Identity Disorder does NOT equal Schizophrenia!!
    I think that's what Sephiro meant.

I disagree, though. Kind of.
    Yes, in technical terms, DID, MPD, whatever name it's using at the moment is not schizophrenia. To a psychologist.

To a lay person, however, anybody who has neither the condition nor an acquaintance with it, nor a degree in psychiatry, it is.
    Schizophrenia is a word. It is only as good as what it communicates. If 90% of English speakers conceptualise 'DID' when they hear schizophrenia, and that's what the speaker meant, then that's what it means.

The one time I really, really disagreed with somebody mixing the terms up was in an ad for schizophrenia awareness week, which showed a DID sufferer. Now that was dumb!

- Le Messor
    Buffy: Cool. You guys can do the brain thing. I'm gonna go to class.
    Oz: Which could also be construed as the brain thing.

Anyone else find it interesting that of all of the background events to show for Northstar or Aurora, they featured flashbacks involving Jeffries and Persuasion? I wonder if the use of those characters was intentional for any particular reason (other than showing the irony in Northstar's sister behaving in the fashion that Northstar was stating was unacceptable)...

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor
    To a lay person, however, anybody who has neither the condition nor an acquaintance with it, nor a degree in psychiatry, it is.
    Schizophrenia is a word. It is only as good as what it communicates. If 90% of English speakers conceptualise 'DID' when they hear schizophrenia, and that's what the speaker meant, then that's what it means.
    Like how in Québec "oignons verts" are called "échalotte" when they are not? I must say, I understand you but it's not correct and can lead to really bad confusion when you do a recipe.

I don't think I ever mixed up the 2 mental state, but maybe because I grew up reading AF and because of Aurora, the confusion is impossible to me. I did as my boyfriend and also for him, the difference is obvious. From the wikipedia entry in french about schizoprenia, it say the confusion comes from anglo-saxon moviesrepresenting schizoprenia with characters having multiple personality. if you want to read it for yourself:

«Le terme schizophrénie, introduit initialement par Bleuler, signifie littéralement : « esprit coupé en deux ». Associé Ã* la fréquente représentation dans le cinéma anglo-saxon de personnages présentant des personnalités multiples, cela a conduit a une confusion assez répandue dans le grand public entre schizophrénie et trouble dissociatif avec personnalités multiples.»

So you see, you got to blame your movies. Maybe the comic can now undo the wrong movies did
    Quand l'appétit va, tout va!
    -Obélix

That's probably referring to "Me, Myself and Irene" (maybe the entry mentions that, I'm not going to take the time to decipher the french... I'm one of those french Acadiens that's missing the "french" part... anyways.) That movie was a god awful Jim Carey exploit in which he had multiple personalities and was called a schizophrenic. So people definately could have gotten confused from that I guess.

I disagree even if lay people get the two confused that Marvel should play to that. Everybody would understand if they said multiple personality disorder and many would understand DID. Just because its lay, doesn't mean its okay... Sometimes lay = stereotype eh? I'm coming off strong on this because I have quite a few family members who work in mental health clinics and it bothers me when I see inaccuracies like this put forth in the media.

My favourite DID flick? The Many Faces Of Eve White. Go watch it... Somewhere. Its old and in black and white, but it's really good.

Images

That's probably referring to "Me, Myself and Irene"
    Sylvie is probably right, that it comes from movies. But it's a lot, lot older than that one. (There was recently a list of the ten or twenty 'Most Magnificent Movies ever' on TV here. It lost credibility for me when Me, Myself, and Irene was on it.)

I'm not advocating a confusion of conditions.
    It's the word that I think has different meanings; a problem of linguistics.

- Le Messor
    "Love is just a word. It describes a connection."
    - a program, The Matrix Reloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Ahab
    Anyone else find it interesting that of all of the background events to show for Northstar or Aurora, they featured flashbacks involving Jeffries and Persuasion? I wonder if the use of those characters was intentional for any particular reason (other than showing the irony in Northstar's sister behaving in the fashion that Northstar was stating was unacceptable)...
    During the Mantlo run, both Jeffries and Kara were quite harsh to the twins, particularly Aurora. I do remember Jeffries stating that JP must have loved tearing wings off flies as a kid.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    I liked the little layer of depth added to the J-P/Clementine relationship as well.
    Do you mean Raymonde Belmonde?
    'coz I've read it twice, and saw no mention of Clementine?

- Le Messor
    "Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity. It eliminates dreams, goals, and ideals and lets us get straight to the business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
    - Johnny Hart, B.C. comic-strip

I assumed it was Clementine on story page 16 (including the recap page).
    www.kozzi.us

Yah I thought that it was Belmonde, as he seemed to be acting in a Paternal type role.

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    I assumed it was Clementine on story page 16 (including the recap page).
    If you are referring to the 16th page of actual story, that is Persuasion that Northstar is talking to, back when she had a crush on him.

Apparently, Mike Carey has a thing for AF too, here's a link...

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=102118

MM :P

Okay, okay MM....We get it!

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!