Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: X-Men Annual '07 - SPOILER HEAVY

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    Other than a statement, "I read the advance copy, and AF fans are going to be really happy" and maybe a tease, I don't know that we needed a synopsis from an advanced copy.
    Nowhere was it stated that any of you 'needed' to read it.
    The topic clearly stated that the issue was spoiled, if you chose to read it that's your decision.

I picked it up and it was...alright, decent but meh! Aurora and Northstar didn't do much and I didn't expect them either. Was that a flashbang they did to Frenzy?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    Other than a statement, "I read the advance copy, and AF fans are going to be really happy" and maybe a tease, I don't know that we needed a synopsis from an advanced copy.
    Nowhere was it stated that any of you 'needed' to read it.
    The topic clearly stated that the issue was spoiled, if you chose to read it that's your decision.
    My decision was NOT to read the thread or the advance copy in my LCS until after I read the issue when it came out. A full synopsis seems well beyond spoilers, where teasers or recommendations would have served to generate timely interest.

I would have rather seen you do a full review after the issue was generally available.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

I really liked it. It's really good to have the twins back on the side of the angels. I wonder if Jeanne-Marie is totally healed mentally or if she's just been restored to her normal (dual personality) MPD? I guess that's up to the next writer who uses them.

The art was pretty good, but also a bit odd...what was with the debri floating around everyone's heads near the end of the story (especially Rogue's)?...And why did Exodus' face get redder as the story progressed?

Good to see Frenzy is still among the living (it was presumed she had died in Sentinel attack on Genosha). Last I knew, Tempo was giving up the whole costumed-villain business...I wonder what made her join Exodus (besides a writer who may not have known any better and threw in a "stock" villain from the past). Who were the two women with Random and Exodus at the end of the story? They certainly didn't look like Frenzy or Tempo(both of whom are African-American).

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

My decision was NOT to read the thread or the advance copy in my LCS until after I read the issue when it came out. A full synopsis seems well beyond spoilers, where teasers or recommendations would have served to generate timely interest.

I would have rather seen you do a full review after the issue was generally available.
    That's your opinion. Mine differs.
    The post wasn't intended to generate interest but to lay out the issue for people who won't pick the issue up and had interest in the twins' outcome in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    That's your opinion. Mine differs.
    The post wasn't intended to generate interest but to lay out the issue for people who won't pick the issue up and had interest in the twins' outcome in it.
    I also don't feel it was necessary it to give away the whole issue, Phil. It's a good way to insure that some folks won't pick it up at all (considering the whole plot is given away)...They may just decide not to spend the money on it, now that they know what happens.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Actually I agree with Phil, if they don't want to be spoiled don't read it. Phil gave warnings a head of time so there shouldn't be complaining and the summary was lengthy enough where if you didn't want to spoil the entire issue just skim to the bottom.

I don't see why this has been made a big deal.

Ok, so spoiler space was giving, it was legit. There is nothing wrong with what Phil did, so lets drop it, and just discuss the issue please.

Ben

I have no problem with spolied stories. Can't worry about that. I appreciate everyone's effort here to keep us informed of Omega news et al, as so many of us live in the past (as in you get to know stuff Wednesday, if I'm lucky I can find out next month).

I appreciate the spoilers and the fact that nobody gives away everything. To me, it's like knowing who won the game but watching it later to find out how.

Nothing bad anyway

I won't see the issue for weeks, if not months (honestly, I haven't been more than 200 metres from my house since Christmas except for Church, can't afford to go anywhere!). So I wonder how they'll move on with Aurora and Northstar? As a pair or individuals?

BTW, the coloured pic from Initiatives is goo, but I thought Arachne had red hair? And Guardian sure looks short enough to be Wild Child but after all, perspective means so little these days.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default Got the Annual on Friday and read it before going to work...

...and it's one of the most solid, well-put together comic books I've read in a long time.

First, it's well balanced. Rogue and her X-Men are smart and competent (okay, so I need to keep a dictionary with me at all times), and Maria Hill is her in-over-her-head, pain-in-the-neck self. Hill's performance appraisal has got to be crap for this past year.
    I'm glad Rogue figures out that curing the twins together is the only way it would stand a chance to work. Second, Exodus and his team are formidable, in a way that The Children promised to be at the beginning of the 6-issue arc but weren't at the end. Third, Northstar and Aurora are featured in a way that restores their credibility as heroes, succinctly providing backstory, cleverly putting in new information, at a point where their treatment is being interrupted, and their cure is not a quick fix but one of self-awareness and understanding.

All in all, The X-Men Annual delivers the payoff that their appearance in X-Men promised. Carey understands the relationship between J-M and J-P: it's complex but it's not ickey. Separated, the twins' lives are a living hell, but together they have the courage to face anything.

Well done.
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

Default Re: Got the Annual on Friday and read it before going to wor

Quote Originally Posted by Garry/Al-Fan
    ...and it's one of the most solid, well-put together comic books I've read in a long time.

First, it's well balanced. Rogue and her X-Men are smart and competant, and Maria Hill is her in-over-her-head, pain-in-the-neck self. Hill's performance appraisal has got to be crap for this past year.
    I'm glad Rogue figures out that curing the twins together is the only way it would stand a chance to work. Second, Exodus and his team are formidable, in a way that The Children promised to be at the beginning of the 6-issue arc but weren't at the end. Third, Northstar and Aurora are featured in a way that restores their credibility as heroes, succinctly providing backstory, cleverly putting in new information, at a point where their treatment is being interrupted, and their cure is not a quick fix but one of self-awareness and understanding.

All in all, The X-Men Annual delivers the payoff that their appearance in X-Men promised. Carey understands the relationship between J-M and J-P: it's complex but it's not ickey. Separated, the twins' lives are a living hell, but together they have the courage to face anything.

Well done.

'Applause' Well said, my friend. This issue certainly exceeded my expectations (and quelled my fears about JP and JM's future).
    I'm Northstar's clone in looks and personality. It weirds me out, and I'm even a fan.

Review at The X-Axis.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Thanks for the review. I'll pick this up(and I wouldn't have pre-review).

I enjoyed this issue, but one thing drove me crazy.... Dissociative Identity Disorder does NOT equal Schizophrenia!! I think it is VERY irresponsible of Marvel to allow misconceptions of such serious mental issues to continue to be perpetuated. I know that it was a character who said it and so the character could be mistaken but still... Most people would simply take what she said at face value.

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothsKiller
    I enjoyed this issue, but one thing drove me crazy.... Dissociative Identity Disorder does NOT equal Schizophrenia!! I think it is VERY irresponsible of Marvel to allow misconceptions of such serious mental issues to continue to be perpetuated. I know that it was a character who said it and so the character could be mistaken but still... Most people would simply take what she said at face value.
    What? you are saying in this issue, they are mixing dissociative Identity disorder and Schizophrenia? I don't know much about each but from what I know they seems very different.

Aurora is the 1st one. She got at least 2 identities. From what I know schizophrenia, you can see and hear voice, but you are not 2 persons like Aurora is.
    Quand l'appétit va, tout va!
    -Obélix