Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The new Guardian - the secret is now out

Hello all,
    Here's my humble speculation on the "Who's in the suit" question:

At the death of AF, Mac's cyborg brain recorded "all that he is" and when the bodies were picked up by, most likely, Dept. H, his persona was "downloaded" into a sythezoid. This works for the whole "tear" picture in perhaps a nod to "Even an Android can Cry". Think of the story possiblities with an artificial Mac raising a newborn while mourning the loss of Heather

-be seeing you

Dirty diapers!?!?! My ONE weakness!

ATTENTION, ATTENTION!

Ahem.

Mr Oeming has graciously decided to reply to my email question.

Although his answer was short, nonetheless it helps to clear up whether or not Talisman is the "one Canadian" shown in the promo shot.

His answer is to this question (just to remind y'all)...

Mike,
    If you do not mind me asking you, do you consider Shaman and Talisman to be Sarcee nation members, Canadian citizens, or both?
    Sincerely,
    Flightpath07 on Alpha Waves Forum

Mr Oeming's answer? "Both."

So, Talisman is indeed the one Canadian shown, then.
    So, I am back to step one, unless somebody can prove to me that Kyle Gibney is an American.
    Nuts!

Oh well, at least I got my question answered. That should be helpful, shouldn't it?
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07
    Now, then we have this issue...
    It somehow has to connect to Civil War, and Kyle just doesn't seem high profile enough.
    And this I just do not get. Why does who is in the suit have to connect with Civil War? No matter what, the whole Omega Flight concept, which is American heroes helping Canada deal with the super-powered problem that American law has thrust upon them (super-baddies fleeing to Canada to reap distruction), is all about Civil War.

What I'm referring to is Marvel using a big name from Civil War to fill the Guardian role for promotional perposes.

Do I think it needs a big name? No, of course not. Being an Alpha fan I happen to think Kyle is a big name… However Joe Q and the Marvel editorial staff are far more likely to try and market this book to the American general public by tying it into the Civil War hype machine…

Think about it, what would create more hype? Kyle as Guardian or Steve Rogers?

And I’m not 100% convinced that is a tear on the picture.

Mac being a Synth would qualify as NOT being a Canadian citizen, wouldn't it?....

and, no offense, but there's no possible way that Marvel will stick Steve Rogers into OF. There's just not enough hype on the book or "Marvel hints" out there to support the theory. It's more likely Steve Rogers will end up as the new Ronin or even inside the Iron Man armor.

and the dirty diapers are WHY the Mac synth is crying.

Guys, you're taking the "I see one Canadian" WAY too literally. I look at the Toronto Maple Leafs and see 20 Canadians, I look at Calgary and see none. Ooops, the Leafs wear the symbol of Canada, a Maple Leaf, while Calgary has a flaming C. That's what makes me say that. D'oh!

The "I see one Canadian" phrase refers to the fact that Guardian has a Maple Leaf on his suit. He could just as easily have said, "I see one American", referencing USAgent when obviously Arachne is American.

There are three Canadians on the team, Sasquatch, Talisman, and Guardian. Oeming has said three people with direct ties to AF are on the team, member, former member, someone associated with AF but not a full member (or something like that). Sasquatch, Talisman, Guardian.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Ok, what's this "teardrop" people are talking about? What have I missed?

Quote Originally Posted by Mokole
    Guys, you're taking the "I see one Canadian" WAY too literally. I look at the Toronto Maple Leafs and see 20 Canadians, I look at Calgary and see none. Ooops, the Leafs wear the symbol of Canada, a Maple Leaf, while Calgary has a flaming C. That's what makes me say that. D'oh!

The "I see one Canadian" phrase refers to the fact that Guardian has a Maple Leaf on his suit. He could just as easily have said, "I see one American", referencing USAgent when obviously Arachne is American.

There are three Canadians on the team, Sasquatch, Talisman, and Guardian. Oeming has said three people with direct ties to AF are on the team, member, former member, someone associated with AF but not a full member (or something like that). Sasquatch, Talisman, Guardian.

+1 billion.

There are three Canadians on the team, Sasquatch, Talisman, and Guardian. Oeming has said three people with direct ties to AF are on the team, member, former member, someone associated with AF but not a full member (or something like that). Sasquatch, Talisman, Guardian
    Just like to point out that in the interview in question, Oeming did say that three people with Canadian citizenship are on or with or associated with the team...but ONLY ONE is seen in the promo art, which is the picture with Guardian(?), Arachne, Talisman, USAgent, and BetaRay Bill.

Therefore, if the ONE Canadian is Talisman, then we come back to the original thought or question - who is in the Guardian suit? Because whomever it is, by these standards applied, cannot be a Canadian citizen.

I believe that one of the three Canadians is Talisman, one of the Canadians is Walter, and the third Canadian is whomever their Canadian Govt contact person is. The agent assigned to Omega Flight, as it were.

As for who is in the Guardian suit? I still cannot figure this one out. If Kyle Gibney is a Canadian, which several people seem sure that he is, then my theory is wrong. Whoever the guy in the suit is, he isn't Canadian, yet would have reason to wear the Canadian flag on his uniform, and reason to take over Mac's role as official (or would that be unofficial?) protector of Canada. Moreover, it would appear that perhaps the others in the group (specifically Walter and Elizabeth) have no real reason to be at odds with him wearing the suit. Then again ...
    perhaps this could explain why Walter (perhaps - speculation, again) does not officially join Oemga Flight; maybe he has a problem with whomever is in the Guardian suit, wearing the suit? Or even being Omega's leader?

Does anybody know of somebody who would fit this role, and whom Sasquatch would be unhappy with wearing James' Guardian suit? Anybody?
    hey , perhaps it is Smart Alec, back from the dead! Or another original Omega Flight villain? Oh wait, they are all Canadian then, aren't they?
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

I'm with Phil.

I think, God help us all, it's Postman Mike.

Man's Alaskan (if not by birth, then at least by previous residence), which means he's NOT Canadian... and, having *censored* waxed the REAL Alpha Flight, he feels some sort of need to atone.

And it would do a LOT to explain why Walter might not be "on" the team.

Also, the energy aura around Mac? Yeah. Feels Collective-ish to me.

Thank God this s Marvel, and the dead characters will be back as soon as it's convenient.
    "You cannot win, mailman Mike. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceGuardian
    and, no offense, but there's no possible way that Marvel will stick Steve Rogers into OF. There's just not enough hype on the book or "Marvel hints" out there to support the theory. It's more likely Steve Rogers will end up as the new Ronin or even inside the Iron Man armor.
    Obviously I was using Steve as an exaggerated example. I was attempting to demonstrate the way Marvel operates most of the time. Marvel will want to get the most bang for their buck. And as much as I like the idea of Kyle being in the suit I don’t see that having any impact for anyone other then Alpha Flight fans… and here’s the thing in order for Omega Flight to survive it needs to appeal to more then just Alpha Flight fans. The best way to do that? Have a “big name” become the surprise focus of the team.

Oh a completely different note has anyone thought it could be The Shroud? I know it blows my “big name” theory out of the water but in the pages of Mrs Marvel we saw that he and Julia were romantically linked (in fact I think they were both escaping to Canada in the book) So I would expect him to show up in OF at some point, or at least be mentioned.

The idea of Guardian not being a Canadian... It doesn't sit well. People would revolt if we had a Brit take over the position of Captain America, but its okay to take away Canada's symbol? I don't like it. Thankfully though, I don't believe it either. I think the "I only see one Canadian" thing is just a way of being coy about who guardian is. And I don't see how Walt would survive something that super human samurai cyber hudson couldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Transmetropolitan
    I'm with Phil.

I think, God help us all, it's Postman Mike.
    I think so too and if that is the case then I am glad it's only a 5 issue mini because I would stop buying the books after it was revealed. So I guess by making it a mini, they get two more issues out of me :P

I like the theory it could be Shroud.

Could it be Chuck Moss?
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    I like the theory it could be Shroud.

Could it be Chuck Moss?
    Yeah, I was thinking about both those names myself last night.
    Shroud was supposed to run to Canada with Arachne and her kid, wasn't he, until he got nabbed and then subsequently escaped. Seems to make little sense to have him stay in the US with his girlfriend (wife?) in Canada. Heck, maybe he will show up as a teammate in the Omega Flight ongoing series... if it happens.

As for Chuck? Well, maybe his mystical powers would help to explain why Guardian always appears to be smoking or steaming?