Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Official Handbook Updates

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rplass View Post
    there are a few nitpicky errors (related to when he first met Bochs which was in AF #16, not as described in this issue).
    Where does it say they met?
    'coz the actual series is inconsistent about it, too. (Like you, I'd go with Byrne.)

- Le Messor
    "The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world's problems."
    ~ Ghandi

In Alpha Flight #46, Jeffries mentions to Kara that he and Bochsie go way back, but I think he was just exaggerating because clearly the first time they met was in AF #16. Continuity explanations have to work around that fixed point.
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

The massive 14-volume Hardcover series is being reprinted bimonthly in paperback. Since Alpha Flight appeared in all 14, you need to buy all 14 issues! Each issue will contain all of the 240pg of the original plus 16pp of updated material in each volume. No news on who gets an update but I bet Alpha Flight will be getting an update on the team entry, and very hopefully many others. I'm thinking the resurrected Alphans (Shaman, Puck, Mac and Heather) will have new info, but Northstar, Jeffries, Sasquatch, Snowbird, and Aurora all have a good shot of getting an update but who knows!?!? Updates might have new art by Gus Vazquez, but that's also speculation. Amazon lists a release date for #1 of October 2011 so we have time to ruminate. Note that Marrina never had an entry in the 14 volume series and she has had the most significant update of all Alphans!
    This first issue came out today and yes, there is an update for Alpha Flight, with illustrations, several taken from the new series, which is darn awesome. It's all up to date - up to the very end of issue #4 of the new series which just came out! Can't get any more up to date than this, folks. In the update, there is a new team illustration, the cover for Alpha Flight #6, which is billed as 'current roster' - note that image does not include Heather.

There is a new grid of head shots for each of the members, no new artwork in there, but it's very well done with better images and a more uniform presentation.

EDIT: Nemesis now has two head shots: Nemesis (Jane) and Nemesis (Weatherly). Gee, I thought it was the same Nemesis. Sigh.

Also, the adventures Heather had in Alpha Flight Annual #2 with Alpha Prime is mentioned in the Alpha Flight update along with a picture of the Alpha Prime team.

Aurora has a single paragraph update (no illustration) accounting for her time with Team Northstar Extreme Snowsports (inaccurately calling her "joint CEO"), up to and including her membership in the v4 version of Alpha Flight, and of course she is on the cover (it's the same image as the one used on the dust jacket for Hardcover #1)

Of course Alpha Flight's entry and Aurora's entry are reproduced in their entirety from issue #1 as well and Marrina appears again in the Avengers entry as she did in issue #1 of the Hardcover series.

Bottom line: if you didn't get the HC get this! Even if you did, get this anyway for the new info!

Love,
    rplass
    Last edited by rplass; 09-28-2011 at 10:32 PM.

Great recap, thanks!
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

EDIT: Nemesis now has two head shots: Nemesis (Jane) and Nemesis (Weatherly). Gee, I thought it was the same Nemesis. Sigh.
    Yes, we got confirmation from Scott Lobdell that Amelia Weatherly was not the same Nemesis we'd seen before, and that Nemesis is a role that passes from one host to the next - so there's three we know of, the one who fought Deadly Ernest and the two who joined Alpha Flight at different points in the group's history. The main entry, though largely reprinting the HC entry, has a few tweaks to reflect that correction.

Thanks for the explanation, Loki. I figured that was how it happened. I can deal with multiple Nemesii - but I was so used to the idea that there was only one.

EDIT: Does Isabel have a last name or is it just Isabel?

Love,
    rplass
    Last edited by rplass; 09-30-2011 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Yes, we got confirmation from Scott Lobdell that Amelia Weatherly was not the same Nemesis we'd seen before, and that Nemesis is a role that passes from one host to the next - so there's three we know of, the one who fought Deadly Ernest and the two who joined Alpha Flight at different points in the group's history. The main entry, though largely reprinting the HC entry, has a few tweaks to reflect that correction.
    It always made more sense that Nemesis was more than one woman...But IIRC at the time of Volume 3, Scott was claiming all the appearances of Nemesis were the same woman.

Dana
    Last edited by cmdrkoenig67; 09-30-2011 at 03:01 PM.
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Thanks for the explanation, Loki. I figured that was how it happened. I can deal with multiple Nemesii - but I was so used to the idea that there was only one.

EDIT: Does Isabel have a last name or is it just Isabel?

Love,
    rplass
    Isabel St. Ives. And it should be in the entry, so now you've got me worried that the correction wasn't made properly. The second Nemesis was Jane Thorne.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Isabel St. Ives. And it should be in the entry, so now you've got me worried that the correction wasn't made properly. The second Nemesis was Jane Thorne.
    I'd heard at the time they didn't know her name, and were calling her Jane as in 'Jane Doe'. Which helped with the whole 'they're all one woman' theory.

Wait... Thorne... as in Alec Thorne?

Wild mass guessing: begin!

- Le Messor
    "If a cow laughed, would milk come out her nose?"

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    I'd heard at the time they didn't know her name, and were calling her Jane as in 'Jane Doe'. Which helped with the whole 'they're all one woman' theory.

Wait... Thorne... as in Alec Thorne?

Wild mass guessing: begin!

- Le Messor
    "If a cow laughed, would milk come out her nose?"
    I suspect the matching surname with Smart Alec is just a coincidence. But only James Hudnall knows for sure, as he was the one who provided the name.

Certainly there is nothing in any textual source to link Alexander Thorne (Smart Alec) with Jane Thorne (Nemesis). I think it's just co-incident.

Love,
    rplass

Given what we've been given since the demise of of vol 1 (Omega Flight excluded), I doubt any writer of AF since then would be that subtle.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Isabel's surname, on the other hand, isn't coincidental. But then, I think everyone knew that already.

So a logical question is, what happened to Nemesis II to cause Nemesis III to exist? Is she is no longer in the land of the living?
    Stop the Goblyn hate!

So a logical question is, what happened to Nemesis II to cause Nemesis III to exist? Is she is no longer in the land of the living?
    Actually, I am more interested in whether ANY of the Nemesis's (Nemeses? Nemeseses?)are considered to be in the land of the living. I've always viewed the character as some sort of avatar of death itself, herself caught between living and dead and therefore able to impart that same state to others (or usher them into death, if necessary). Like maybe her sword sucks the life from her, and when she is no longer usable to it, it discards her and finds another (now i am lost in memories of Michael Moorcock's Elric of Melnibone!)? Just my thoughts.
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/