Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Guardian Art, Joe Q. Comments on Omega.

Default New Guardian Art, Joe Q. Comments on Omega.

Uh, I don't think this is posted yet. Click thumbnail for embiggening.

NRAMA: Finally, one more question from us before we turn the remainder of the Q&A over to our readers so we can catch up for last edition - a number of our readers in fact asked about the decision to make what was not only announced, but promoted as an going series – Omega Flight – into a five issue limited series.

One of our readers was on the ball enough to find this quote from Mike Oeming in an interview he did with us right after the then ongoing series was announced…

“Marvel wants to give this the big push, they aren’t just bringing back Flight for the hell of it, and this isn’t a mini-series or some series they are tossing to the wall to see if it sticks. Marvel wants Flight to be a player in the Marvel Universe, which is why we felt the best way to do that was to start fresh. The name does a lot for that. Its done out of love and hope for the new book, not disrespect for the old. It is in many ways, ‘Alpha Flights’ last chance for the foreseeable future.”

As you can see, at the time, Oeming emphasized as a positive that this wouldn’t be a mini or a test-run to see if enough readers are there for the first arc.

So can you talk about the decision to change plans, for not only Omega Flight, but we think you often referred to Dan Slott’s secret new project as an ongoing, which has been revealed as Avengers: The Initiative, another limited series?

JQ: Mmmm, I don’t remember ever referring to The Initiative as an ongoing. I could be wrong, but I honestly don’t remember. I do know that internally I had wanted it ongoing but the vote didn’t go my way.

As for Omega Flight, we discussed this internally and we all feel that we’ve had some success in the past going slower with certain projects, launching them as limited series and then coming out with an ongoing. We feel that this is a better tact to take with OF. We’ve been hearing from a lot of passionate Alpha/Omega Flight fans who are disappointed in this decision, and I completely respect that and apologize for the change, but this is also their opportunity to show up in legion and show us that this is a title to be reckoned with.

Yes, I realize there’s a petition out there, cool! Now, let’s take that petition to the streets and have all those people show up at comic shops scooping the book up. That will tell us more in the long run than any online chatter or petition. No disrespect, we just have to deal with the reality of publishing versus the perception of what is happening outside our doors. And hey, look, it worked for Spider-Girl. All those cards and e-mails added up to sales in the end.
    Edit:
    New Joe Friday's.

Warning, contains spoilers for other titles.

Ouuuu, I like that Guardian pic. Very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Canucklehead
    Ouuuu, I like that Guardian pic. Very cool.
    Man, that's so awesome...our Guardian looks like quite the angry soul nowadays. Mac would certainly have cause, if Heather's dead (or maybe he thinks he still is, because I'm sure he has to be losing track by now...). Not sure about the other candidates.

He's always smokin' these days. Do you think that's Kolins artistic decision or did the Collective incident do something to him?

I've always felt that the Guardian suit needed to be seen as "lethal." All these new pics are helping that along. What a cool pic.

WOW! That is a fantastic pic of Guardian. If this kind of artwork doesn't get OF a regular series nothing will. I wonder, will we see this as a cover?

Quote Originally Posted by Legerd
    WOW! That is a fantastic pic of Guardian. If this kind of artwork doesn't get OF a regular series nothing will. I wonder, will we see this as a cover?
    Good call. There seems to be enough space at the top for a logo. Didn't Kolins say they wanted him to redo some of the covers in this new smudged style? Perhaps the cover for the Guardian reveal in ish 2 or 3.

Edit: I think I just my new avatar

Hmmm, who do you think that looks like, Hudson or Walter? I can't see it being anyone else, but of course... it's so easy for me to be wrong, again

It'll be Hudson or Walter, IMHO.

Edit: Notice the tear? Hudson, methinks again
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

I didn't notice the tear, but yeah it definetly could be Mac. I just don't see how or why Walter would don the suit when he already has his own powers.

I believe this is the cover for #3, that got Scott into his new style, is this so Scott?

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by King Mungi
    I didn't notice the tear, but yeah it definetly could be Mac. I just don't see how or why Walter would don the suit when he already has his own powers.
    It's hard to say. If it's Mac he is either still recovering or must need some more motivation to wear the suit again, otherwise it wouldn't take til issue 3. Even so, if that's the case where's Walter in the promo art?

Walter seems down (and into the booze) in the scene we've seen, so that could explain the tear. If he was still Sasquatch, he wouldn't need to wear the suit. If he somehow lost the power, then he'd be perfect for the suit.

Don't they explain Walter's not tearing his clothing when transforming by the fact that his body and clothes trade places with the beast? If that's the case, the beast could trade place with the suit too.

I'm still stuck on that he may have played "the sport with the oval shaped ball" quote from Oeming. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

It's hard to say. If it's Mac he is either still recovering or must need some more motivation to wear the suit again, otherwise it wouldn't take til issue 3. Even so, if that's the case where's Walter in the promo art?

Walter seems down (and into the booze) in the scene we've seen, so that could explain the tear. If he was still Sasquatch, he wouldn't need to wear the suit. If he somehow lost the power, then he'd be perfect for the suit.

Don't they explain Walter's not tearing his clothing when transforming by the fact that his body and clothes trade places with the beast? If that's the case, the beast could trade place with the suit too.
    I suggested in another thread that it could be Walt as Sasquatch wearing the Guardian uniform in memory of the team. The suit could be made of unstable molecules or as you said CH that it trades places when he transforms.

I'm still stuck on that he may have played "the sport with the oval shaped ball" quote from Oeming. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
    What was this quote in reference to and where is it from?

Quote Originally Posted by Legerd
    What was this quote in reference to and where is it from?
    Can't remember which interview but the interviewer asked Oeming about the guy in the Guardian suit. He asked "What he couldn't get a spot on a hockey team?" Oeming replied "Is that the sport with the oval shaped ball?"

It could be nothing but I took itas a hint.

Quote Originally Posted by JQ
    I’d renew my pact with the devil to get Phil over here at Marvel.
    I knew it!

P.S.
    That Guardian pic is amazing. Fantastic. Fantastically amazing. I hope that the cover isn't coloured. In fact I hope it isn't even titled. Damn I love that picture. The tear kind of makes me think of Hudson, since the big thing out of AF #16 was that "dead people don't cry."

that guardian pic is unreal. i know, i mean i KNOW that the omega series is going to sell well, it already has more hype then the previous 2 launches (although message boards weren't around back then so it is just a hunch) and believe it or not but the downgrade has not only created some outrage, but interest as well.
    the only thing that will push me over the edge is if the mini sells well, marvel drags it's feet and when it does become a ongoing mike and scott already have moved on to other projects and can not be on the ongoing. the images from scott and interviews from mike have me so ready for this series.