Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Michael Avon Oeming interview with AlphaFlight.net

OK Mr. Oeming, what the heck is going on? Were you really told only Friday that your new ongoing was cancelled before it was even solicited?
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

From whats been said at Jinxworld he was told four weeks back. I'm interested to see what is said tomorrow, but get the impression that when it's all been said we are still only gonna end up with five issues
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs
    From whats been said at Jinxworld he was told four weeks back. I'm interested to see what is said tomorrow, but get the impression that when it's all been said we are still only gonna end up with five issues
    You know, I know it sucks compared to an ongoing, but it wasn't that long ago that we saw the entire team wiped out in the snow. I'll take five issues over the zero issues it looked like I was getting a year ago.

Let's take what we can get for now, support the hell out of it, and see what happens.

I agree whole heartedly that five is better than nothing, but it just irks that there can't be a little more honesty from Marvel. Quesada was answering questions about OF on Friday, are we as fans that unpredictable that he couldn't say it then and give some form of explanation? Instead we have to read it on the solicits, kinda like well there ya go, no explanation, live with it. I think you can only stretch fan loyalty so far.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

I agree whole heartedly that five is better than nothing, but it just irks that there can't be a little more honesty from Marvel. Quesada was answering questions about OF on Friday, are we as fans that unpredictable that he couldn't say it then and give some form of explanation? Instead we have to read it on the solicits, kinda like well there ya go, no explanation, live with it. I think you can only stretch fan loyalty so far.
    Oh, well that's different then. I totally understand that.

I'm not a big Marvel fan anyway, so I don't feel particularly betrayed. I used to be a huge fan of the Ultraverse and when they picked that up and crapped all over it, that was it for me and and Marvel, by and large. Since I haven't been a big supporter of them in many years, I guess I don't feel as slighted when they screw their fanbase around.

Quesada likes to be a jerk. 'Nuff said.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Since he knew about this weeks ago, I have to wonder why he didn't take the time to break the news in his interview with this site? It would at least have been a better PR move then just having this dropped on folks in the solicits.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus
    Since he knew about this weeks ago, I have to wonder why he didn't take the time to break the news in his interview with this site? It would at least have been a better PR move then just having this dropped on folks in the solicits.
    Editorial decision, he can't speak about things like that without editorial permission. In short, he wasn't allowed to say anything, and it killed him.

Ben

+1 Ben.

I hope that nobody is angry at Oeming or Kollins for this. It wasn't their fault, and I have nothing but endless sympathy for both of them. It looked like this was a story they really wanted to tell. One can only imagine what it must have been like giving interviews but having to keep your mouth shut about such a huge change.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

I know I never thought otherwise.
    Though a certain new raven-ous member may have got the wrong impression?

What is it with me and bird people anyway?

- Le Messor
    Pigeon: "I've got an idea. Who's seen Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds?"
    - The Far Side

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothsKiller
    +1 Ben.

I hope that nobody is angry at Oeming or Kollins for this. It wasn't their fault, and I have nothing but endless sympathy for both of them. It looked like this was a story they really wanted to tell. One can only imagine what it must have been like giving interviews but having to keep your mouth shut about such a huge change.
    Not at all. I felt their enthusiasm was genuine the whole time, unlike Lobdell who claimed to be an Alpha freak when in reality he showed little appreciation for what made them special.

The current team may not have used the ful original line-up, like Lobdell, but they stated a reason why and showed a tendency to lean towards using Flight stuff. I got to understand their point of view and agree with their approach even though I had to sell myself to it somewhat. This is why this kick in the teeth feels like it's coming from "Marvel" and not the creative team themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus
    Editorial decision, he can't speak about things like that without editorial permission. In short, he wasn't allowed to say anything, and it killed him.

Ben
    Ah, so the editors have a profound lack of understanding of public relations. I get it now.

Yeah, I figured that Mr. Oeming and Kollins had known about this for a while. But obviously couldn't tell anyone. That kind of stuff isn't their decision to make. They've gotta do what there bosses tell them to do. Sorry Oeming and Kollins.

And no, I don't blame Oeming and Kollins, I blame JQ and Marvel in general. Hype a new ongoing series right up till the end for nearly a year and then all the fans have to find out that it only a five issue mini in a frikkin' three sentence solicitation. Ridiculuous!

I'll still buy it, but still!

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian
    And no, I don't blame Oeming and Kollins, I blame JQ and Marvel in general. Hype a new ongoing series right up till the end for nearly a year and then all the fans have to find out that it only a five issue mini in a frikkin' three sentence solicitation. Ridiculuous!

I'll still buy it, but still!
    Apparently the best 5-issue mini-series you'll EVER read though!

Let's just hope he takes the opportunity to reestablish a couple of the core Alpha members in the pages of the 5 page mini.