Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Movie Rant

Default Movie Rant

I'm writing this rant because the past 50+ movies I've watched over the past couple years have made me lose hope. Is it just me or are movies becoming less and less enjoyable? It just seems that I am feeling unsatisfied with nearly every movie lately(about 15 in a row now). Are they running out of ideas? Either it's too predictable, misses it's mark (comedies not being funny, horror not being scary etc) or just leaves me banging my head against a table saying "What the hell was that!?".

I'm not a picky person. I'll watch any genre that has a decent story. My favorite movies are Shawshank Redemption, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Spider-Man 2, The Count of Monte Christo and Wonderboys. I even enjoyed Napoleon Dynomite and Kung Pow if you can believe it.

Yet nothing lately is even coming close to the feeling I got from previous years.

Enoyable:
    Clerks II (I was surprised how much I liked it)
    Click (see above)
    The Rocket (Excellent movie)

What the Hell was That?:
    The Darkness (Honestly, what the hell was that!?)
    The Wicker Man (see above)
    Hard Candy (see above)
    Alexander (see above)
    Troy (see above)
    Date Movie (...painful)
    Stuck on You (ugh)
    House of the Dead (hit my head on the table to make sure I wasn't dreaming)
    Black Dahlia (Josh H. looks 12)
    The Dukes Of Hazzard (imbreading is against the law)

And many more then I can think of right now... Many of those were seen in a row along with:

Zzzzzz movies:
    Van Helsing
    FF
    Underworld Evolution
    Constantine
    Superman Returns
    The Brothers Grimm
    After the Sunset
    The Big Bounce (actually fell asleep)
    War of the Worlds
    The Grudge
    Exorcist: The Beginning
    White Noise

Great cast... bout it:
    Ocean's Eleven & Twelve

Why do women just randomly sing and dance?:
    Practical Magic
    Little Black Book

From the looks of the recent previews, nothing good is out on the horizon. Honestly, how many "Failed coach takes no good football team but wins the championship", "I quit dancing but am now at a new school so I need to dance and win a contest to show how cool I am", "Horror but not scary, we'll just throw something together but flash millisecond ghostly images every so often to make up for it" or "White Female Teacher in Black School" movies do we really need!?

So as you can see, I need help! Is it just me? I lived in BC for a year without a TV so I missed many previews. What are some movies you've enjoyed with great stories? I don't care who's in it! Just needs a good story! I'm desperate! (I just rented The Illusionist. Fingers crossed)

Thanks, needed to get that out. Couldn't sleep. Rant over!

What about V for Vendetta? personnally, I liked that one. I also really like animated movies like the Incredibles, cars, Madagascar, etc.

And maybe you are doing a overdose of "american movies' and need to see something else. What about a brit movie? The last James Bond maybe? I really like the humour in many british movies like Billy Elliot and I can't remember the name of the movie, but it talked about a pakistanise familly living in england.

Personnally, I really like the homemade cinema from the last couple of years : les invasions barbares, La grande séduction, Maman last call, Maurice Richard, C.R.A.Z.Y. and many mores.

And if you like the count of Monte Cristo, I think you are talking about the american movie, you should watch the french miniserie with GĂ©rard Depardieu and Jean Rochefort.
    Quand l'appétit va, tout va!
    -Obélix

Thank you very much for all of your suggestions! I will have to check them all out. I am a fan of Brit humour aswell but haven't seen any in some time. Have you seen Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels by Guy Pierce? I will check out Billy Elliot.I lost interest with Bond during the Pierce Brosnan movies but will check out the new one.

Maurice Richard has become one of my favorite movies of all time. I've never heard of the Count mini series with GĂ©rard Depardieu. Maybe I can Download it. I try not to download movies but it seems the ones I pay for are never good, but the ones I download for free are great.

Ah well, again thanks for the suggestions. Hopefully 2007 will bring me more luck with movies. Happy New Year!

Quote Originally Posted by Canucklehead
    Thank you very much for all of your suggestions! I will have to check them all out. I am a fan of Brit humour aswell but haven't seen any in some time. Have you seen Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels by Guy Pierce? I will check out Billy Elliot.I lost interest with Bond during the Pierce Brosnan movies but will check out the new one.

Maurice Richard has become one of my favorite movies of all time. I've never heard of the Count mini series with GĂ©rard Depardieu. Maybe I can Download it. I try not to download movies but it seems the ones I pay for are never good, but the ones I download for free are great.

Ah well, again thanks for the suggestions. Hopefully 2007 will bring me more luck with movies. Happy New Year!
    If you enjoyed LS&2SB, maybe you'd enjoy Snatch?

Count is fantastic. Totally overlooked movie.

In the superhero field, have you seen Batman Begins?

I do though feel that movie quality has gone down a great deal in recent years. That said, I think that it's normal to feel that way as you get older (and I'm not taking a shot, I have no idea how old you are ) because the more movies you see, the harder it will be for you to find something that feels fresh.

My wife and I just watched Sin City. While I didn't think it was fantastic overall, I at least appreciated that it was so different visually.

How about Arsenic and Old Lace, one of my all-time favorites?

Generally, yes, I've found movies to be pretty bad lately. Ice Age and both Shreks were good movies but my kids saw a lot and hated most of them, like the Chicken Little flic, Madagascar, ugh. The kids liked Narnia a lot, though. Watched it about 4 times now.

I haven't seen a good adult movie in a while. I am a Star Trek fan and last one of that series I liked was the Borg one (and yes, the even numbered movies are better).
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokole
    I haven't seen a good adult movie in a while.
    Jenna Jameson is still reliable, I hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottawa Renegade
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokole
    I haven't seen a good adult movie in a while.
    Jenna Jameson is still reliable, I hear.
    Haha I was thinking the exact same thing.

I was also a fan of The Next Gen, with First Contact being the last good one. I hear the newest one in the works is a Prequel. Enterprise didn't work, hard to see this one do the trick.

What type of movie is Arsenic and Old Lace? Never heard of it, but it intrigues me.

It's a light (or dark) comedy starring Cary Grant and a few other stars. He's a guy who writes a gossip column about why not to get married, and as the movie starts he's sneaking off to get married. He lives with his insane aunts (who murder hobos) and insane uncle (who thinks he's Teddy Roosevelt, Panama era). Also appearing is Grant's insane brother, played by Raymond Massey but he's made to look like Boris Karloff; Massey is a seriel killer who has a doctor 'apprentice', Peter Lorrie. Quite funny, especially when Massey arrives.

I hope I spelt all the names right.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Have you seen Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels by Guy Pierce?
    Maybe, I don't remember well. I may have seen it. I know I've seen snatch. But I think I'm mixing up the 2 movies in some part.

Maurice Richard has become one of my favorite movies of all time.
    That movie will always have a special place in my heart. It was my chritsmas gift to my father, but he died 3 months ago. Maurice Richard was his hero and I know he would have liked the movie. And in many ways, I saw my father in Richard.

I've never heard of the Count mini series with GĂ©rard Depardieu. Maybe I can Download it. I try not to download movies but it seems the ones I pay for are never good, but the ones I download for free are great.
    Maybe if you really like it, you will want to by the miniserie later. I mean, the movie was good considering how many things they had to put in 2 or 3 hours, but it's not as good as the miniserie. Just because they have more time to develop everything and Depardieu is so good in Dantès and Rochefort as Mondego.

Another kind of movie I like lately are the movies like Fearless, grounching tiger, something dragon(Tigre et Dragon in french), and also this funny, not at all serious movie called kung fu husle.
    -Obélix

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Default Re: Movie Rant

Sylvie, in English it's Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Hidden.

Honestly, how many "Failed coach takes no good football team but wins the championship", "I quit dancing but am now at a new school so I need to dance and win a contest to show how cool I am", movies do we really need!?
    http://le-messor.livejournal.com/24362.html

Have you seen The Prestige?
    Who else do I like?
    It's hard to recommend things for you, since we've clearly got different tastes--you've disliked movies I've liked, and enjoyed ones I wouldn't touch with a ten-metre cattle prod.

I think there's a lot of good stuff in the current crop; but that's just me.

- Le Messor
    "Ceci n'est pas une 'quote'. (This is not a quote.)"
    - after Rene Magritte

Troy - I liked it. I plan on watching it again.

FF - I liked it. Ben Grimm's story was weak, otherwise it's ok. Better than X3, that's for sure.

Constantine - so/so on this one. I don't remember much.

Superman Returns - I liked it, but too long. Just needed more editing.

War of the Worlds - I liked it, but I didn't see the original so I can't compare.

Exorcist: The Beginning - this is a toughie. Both versions of "The Beginning" are flawed, but they have great moments, too. If you're an Exorcist fan, I'd recommend it, but not for casual moviegoers.

Ocean's Eleven & Twelve - I enjoyed them both, but wouldn't bother to see them again.

On the whole, I don't have much interest in romantic comedies or horror flicks anymore, so I don't know if they're getting better or worse.

I can't make any generalization about the state of movies today. If anything, I'd say the type of movies I like to see are getting better. Batman Begins was far above the other Batman movies. The Pixar movies are consistently high quality.

I saw Apocalypto last week; I loved it. Of course, I tend to love any historical/action movie. The Four Feathers and Tristan and Isolde both leap to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor
    It's hard to recommend things for you, since we've clearly got different tastes--you've disliked movies I've liked, and enjoyed ones I wouldn't touch with a ten-metre cattle prod.
    Yeah, I have unique tastes I guess. I love comedies the most. I tried Talladega Nights last night, got bored and turned it off. I don't see the appeal of Nascar so that probably didn't help. I will try the Prestige and the Illusionist before giving up on American movies until Spider-Man 3 comes out.

So many movies these days are spending all of their money on special effects or big name stars while not paying enough attention to the story itself. "Troy" is the best example. Based on one of the greatest stories in history, excellent special effects starring Brad Pitt, Orlando Bloom and Eric Bana. So much potential yet, to me, a terrible movie.

I love dramatic redemption movies and stupid comedies with some wit:

Shawshank Redemption
    Count of Monte Christo
    The Rocket (Maurice Richard)
    Apollo 13
    Silence of the Lambs
    Red Dragon
    American History X
    Blow
    Cider House Rules
    Wonder Boys
    Wag the Dog
    The Fifth Element
    Shaun of the Dead
    Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
    Monte Python
    Dumb and Dumber
    Nothing to Lose
    Team American
    The 40 Year old Virgin
    Office Space
    Napoleon Dynomite
    Evil Dead Trilogy

Many more I can't think of now.

I think I've been seeing too many stupid comedies lately and not enough intelligent movies. Any recommendations?

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

I think I've been seeing too many stupid comedies lately and not enough intelligent movies. Any recommendations?
    Watch what you enjoy, who cares how smart it is / isn't?

Judging by your list, you might like The Big Lebowski. I say that never having watched it meself.
    The World's Fastest Indian, maybe? Bend It Like Beckham (which is, I think, that British comedy somebody mentioned about a Pakistani family.)

It's an older movie, but 'Stand By Me' came from the same book of short stories as 'Shawshank Redemption'. Okay, it's completely different, but I really love it.

Maybe the 'The Commitments' trilogy? (There's three movies, not really a trilogy, but by the same people, similar in tone.)

That's all I can think of for you right now.

- Le Messor
    "Changing culture is like moving a cemetery; you don't get much help from the residents."
    - Anonymous

Watch what you enjoy, who cares how smart it is / isn't?

Judging by your list, you might like The Big Lebowski. I say that never having watched it meself.
    The World's Fastest Indian, maybe? Bend It Like Beckham (which is, I think, that British comedy somebody mentioned about a Pakistani family.)

It's an older movie, but 'Stand By Me' came from the same book of short stories as 'Shawshank Redemption'. Okay, it's completely different, but I really love it.

Maybe the 'The Commitments' trilogy? (There's three movies, not really a trilogy, but by the same people, similar in tone.)

That's all I can think of for you right now.

- Le Messor
    "Changing culture is like moving a cemetery; you don't get much help from the residents."
    - Anonymous
    Hey thank you sir. Yes, Stand by Me is classic. Bend It Like Beckham was my ex's favorite movie, so I never really watched it for that reason. It's been long enough so I can try that now. Never heard of The World's Fastest Indian or The Commitments. I will definitely add them to the list.

As for the intelligence factor, I find my tastes have gotten a little "dumbed down" while I was living in Vancouver. My room mate, who owned our only tv, would play nothing but Harold and Kumar, Jay and Silent Boband Family Guy all day long. Though I actually started to enjoy them, I miss my lesser known, yet critically acclaimed movies. Those you sometimes have to hunt for behind the rack displaying 100 copies of "Dukes of Hazzard" (ugh..).

Bend It Like Beckham (which is, I think, that British comedy somebody mentioned about a Pakistani family.)
    It was not Bend it like Beckham. I just found the title and it's East is East[/quote]
    -Obélix