Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RARE Alpha Flight Comics?

Quote Originally Posted by Banshee
    Issue 20(Gilded Lily) is very gothic if you like that sort of thing and has good Aurora development.
    Good development? I really hated that 3rd personnality, it would have been acceptable if it as been a storyline, but Mantlo choose to keep that bimbo Aurora without mentioning it was a 3rd personnality. Of course the bad french accent was also another reason why I did not liked that version.
    Quand l'appétit va, tout va!
    -Obélix

i agree xmen/alpha flight 1 was great. Loki is a great villian. but i was very dissappointed with x-men/alpha flight 2. i love reading 1 as much as the last time i read it. the story never gets old.
    Pain knows no boundries, but Puck knows pain!!!!

syvalois wrote: Good development? I really hated that 3rd personnality, it would have been acceptable if it as been a storyline, but Mantlo choose to keep that bimbo Aurora without mentioning it was a 3rd personnality.

Well, there are such things as multiple personality disorders and it was developing Jeanne Maries shattering psyche. It is not Byrnes fault if Bill did not pick up on this thread.

Well, there are such things as multiple personality disorders and it was developing Jeanne Maries shattering psyche. It is not Byrnes fault if Bill did not pick up on this thread.
    I know, but I still can blame Byrne for the bad accent
    Ok, you can also explain the fake french french accent with the bad french french stereotype with this third personnality reflecting more the english canadian stereotype view she saw in CB. Being fragile and all, Aurora, trying to fit in could have persieve this as a way to fit in. I don't know and it's all useless speculation. But for me, it's just a way to explain a little detail that bothering me and probably only me.
    -Obélix

If you guys really want to see Marvel make a mess of other countries and accents etc, I can think of nothing worse than the early X-Men story by Claremont that focused on Banshee!!!

For example:

Dublin, a capital city is near Muldoon, which looks like something from Darby O Gill and the little people!!

Although Ireland is a soverign nation, we still have British Post boxes!!

Cassidy Keep is full of 'Leprechauns'.

Everybody in the storyline over a number of issues has terrible 'Oirish' Hollywood accents!! There are 32 counties, each with a different accent, even Northside Dubliners have a different accent to southsiders!!

Still, I live with it as an example of how NOT to do other countries in comics!!

If you guys really want to see Marvel make a mess of other countries and accents etc, I can think of nothing worse than the early X-Men story by Claremont that focused on Banshee!!!
    I've never read those stories, but from what I read in GenX, that was horrible, so full of cliché, it was offensive even to me, and I'm not irish obviously.

For example:

"Dublin, a capital city is near Muldoon, which looks like something from Darby O Gill and the little people!!
    what is Darby O Gill? are you talking about Dublin or Muldoon?

Although Ireland is a soverign nation, we still have British Post boxes!!
    There you touch why I don't like Aurora's accent. Like Ireland is a soverign country and is not english. Same goes with quebecers are not french.

Look at most of the stuff done by AF writers, except Byrne, most of them wrote the francophone characters as if they where french. Like my culture do not exist. What I see in AF are French french stereotype. At least you get the cheap bad and ugly stereotype, but at least it's yours.

Still, I live with it as an example of how NOT to do other countries in comics!!
    Lol, it's nice to see foreign characters, but it's very hard to write them right. So much mistakes are made. Like Sunspot speaking spanish when Brazilians speak portugese. Colossus is names Rasputin, but from my knownledge, that is not a family name, but a nickname. And so many others that I can't think of at the moment.

I like cultural discussion, Banshee is from what part of Ireland? Can you try to write an example of how he should really talk?
    -Obélix

Darby O Gill is a real Hollywood Oirish type movie(which I loved as a child!!). It is about horse drawn ponies, village idiots,the banshee, the lerprechauns and features a very young Sean Connery singing an Oirish song 'O your are my dear my darling one'. Great fun, but stereotypical. When we were kids we were petrified of the Banshee in the movie!!

From what I can read, Sean Cassidy is from Donegal. Donegal has a brogue alright, but not overtly all this ''tis ' begorrah' etc.

Darby O Gill is a real Hollywood Oirish type movie(which I loved as a child!!). It is about horse drawn ponies, village idiots,the banshee, the lerprechauns and features a very young Sean Connery singing an Oirish song 'O your are my dear my darling one'. Great fun, but stereotypical. When we were kids we were petrified of the Banshee in the movie!!

From what I can read, Sean Cassidy is from Donegal. Donegal has a brogue alright, but not overtly all this ''tis ' begorrah' etc.

Thanks, I will have a look on the net, like to see where Donegal is:P
    -Obélix