Thread: RIP Dave Cockrum

Default RIP Dave Cockrum

Just read of Dave Cockrums passing. Very saddened to hear this. His second run on X-Men(The Brood etc) was my favourite and still is one of my favourite runs of a comic.

What a loss. My condolences to his wife and family.

I was extremely saddened to hear of Dave Cockrum's passing away. I met him several times in real life, and he was a wonderful person. My condolences to his family.

Dave Cockrum did some marvelous work on the Legion of Super Heroes, and he and Chris Claremont helped to revitalize the X-Men in the mid-1970's. And he even did some Alpha Flight work! Check out the original covers to Uncanny X-Men #109 and 121 -- absolutely beautiful! I enjoyed some of Dave's other work, ("The Futurians", for example).

Dave Cockrum also did the first piece of con art I ever had. It was a Wolverine and Snowbird sketch which he did for me at a con at a hotel near Laguardia airport in spring, 1980. (I have a photocopy of this sketch which I would like to submit to this website as soon as I can find it.) It was an honor to meet Dave Cockrum, and he left behind a wonderful legacy of comic artwork.

Would love to see that sketch of Snowbird and Logan. I will always remember the wonderment of reading the X-Men storyline with Kitty watching earth from space on a s'hiar battleship, it was so rich and detailed. My favourite run of X-Men, as I said, will always be Daves. You are lucky to have met him.

I wonder will they do a Modern Masters on him now?? Or have they??