Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Omega Help- Toronto!

Quote Originally Posted by Legerd
    Oh no, Canucklehead, that wasn't aimed at you. (Secretly I like the Habs too... don't tell anyone though) I was refering to the posts pissin' on T.O.
    Haha, I was wondering. I never heard anyone defend Tucker before.

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by Canucklehead
    Haha, I was wondering. I never heard anyone defend Tucker before.

Cheers,
    Who could?

Quote Originally Posted by Canucklehead
    It always amazes me how people have to bad mouth others so they can feel better about themselves.
    Hey I'm a Habs fan, I have to hate him. It's in the rule book.
    Oh no, Canucklehead, that wasn't aimed at you. (Secretly I like the Habs too... don't tell anyone though) I was refering to the posts pissin' on T.O.
    There are potentially only two such posts and both make reference to things heard from other people. It's a fact that I've heard people say this. I can't help that, and neither can the other poster.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottawa Renegade
    There are potentially only two such posts and both make reference to things heard from other people. It's a fact that I've heard people say this. I can't help that, and neither can the other poster.
    Yah, seriously, I was pretty obviously joking even though I never actually dissed T.O. myself referenced other people. Even if I was rankling on T.O. (which I wasn't) I really don't think that a comment about how "I'm pissin' on T.O. just to make myself feel better" was deserved.

P.S.
    Darcy Tucker still owns. Tied for second in goals scored!

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothsKiller
    Yah, seriously, I was pretty obviously joking even though I never actually dissed T.O. myself referenced other people. Even if I was rankling on T.O. (which I wasn't) I really don't think that a comment about how "I'm pissin' on T.O. just to make myself feel better" was deserved.

P.S.
    Damn Torontonians are so sensitive...

Legerd, other people's perception may not seem relevant to the conversation we were having here (since we started from talking about tall buildings), but I was thinking in terms of a characters from out west talking about Toronto and making such a comment. It would be realistic and appear well-researched, just like the person who suggested that a character referring to Toronto as Hogtown would be. That's all.

P.S.
    Damn Torontonians are so sensitive...

Legerd, other people's perception may not seem relevant to the conversation we were having here (since we started from talking about tall buildings), but I was thinking in terms of a characters from out west talking about Toronto and making such a comment. It would be realistic and appear well-researched, just like the person who suggested that a character referring to Toronto as Hogtown would be. That's all.
    EDIT TO ADD: I'm not trying to be unreasonable here, but...

I'm just tired of people saying crap about TO (not just here mind you) whenever the city is mentioned, so yeah I'm a bit sensitive. How would you feel if every time your city was mentioned everyone tossed out stereotyped BS about it to run it down?

And while there were only two posts here I felt I should say something before there were more. Besides, the last thing I want readers who aren't Canadian to pick up from OF is a negative view of Toronto. No one is going to consider regional bias when they read a slur they're just going to think there's something to it.

If MO is looking for info on the city lets stick to that and leave the prejudice out.

EDIT TO ADD: I'm not trying to be unreasonable here, but...

I'm just tired of people saying crap about TO (not just here mind you) whenever the city is mentioned, so yeah I'm a bit sensitive. How would you feel if every time your city was mentioned everyone tossed out stereotyped BS about it to run it down?

And while there were only two posts here I felt I should say something before there were more. Besides, the last thing I want readers who aren't Canadian to pick up from OF is a negative view of Toronto. No one is going to consider regional bias when they read a slur they're just going to think there's something to it.

If MO is looking for info on the city lets stick to that and leave the prejudice out.
    To be clear, I don't think you're being unreasonably sensitive but I also don't want you to take offense where none is intended. If MO is looking for info about the city, other people's perception of that city (right or wrong) is info.

But if you think that there's no negative comments made about Ottawa, you're mistaken. I've seen Ottawa referred to as the City That Fun Forgot (because it's supposedly only populated with stiffs in suits). I also mentioned the Capital of Corruption thing earlier because it's such a government town (which, come to think of it, also plays a part in the "boring" stereotype).

Probably everyone has those. Think the Newfies might have something to complain about??

Yah, alot of cities are put down.

For instance, I'm from Calgary originally, and have a distate for certain people there. As such I regularly put down the entire city. I'm so freaking fair. (I also tend to be fairly... left in my views so that also kind of puts me at odds with the city...)

Also, my other home, Cape Breton is stereotyped like nuts. And my final home, Halifax, is now seen as a violent scum hole. I won't say its not. But still. (Especially in Dartmouth a.k.a its new name The Darkside, we have so much crap here now... Ugg... )

So basically, I think every city (and province) has a stereotype and its informative for them to be known.

Stereotype list! (Offend one and all!):

BC: Stoners and draft dodgers. Alberta: Redneck Canadian Texans. Manitoba: No one remembers Manitoba. Saskatchewan: Booooring. Ontario: All rich and greedy and corrupt. Quebec: Bunch of needy seperatists. New Brunswick: ??? PEI: Potatoes and Anne of Green? Newfoundland: Too many to list. Nova Scotia: Drunken, lazy, violent, regressive. Basically alot of Newfie ones, without the funny.

To be clear, I don't think you're being unreasonably sensitive but I also don't want you to take offense where none is intended. If MO is looking for info about the city, other people's perception of that city (right or wrong) is info.

But if you think that there's no negative comments made about Ottawa, you're mistaken. I've seen Ottawa referred to as the City That Fun Forgot (because it's supposedly only populated with stiffs in suits). I also mentioned the Capital of Corruption thing earlier because it's such a government town (which, come to think of it, also plays a part in the "boring" stereotype).

Probably everyone has those. Think the Newfies might have something to complain about??
    Oh I know that people say crap about every city, but references were made about the people which includes me, my family, etc. I find it offensive to make generalizations, I don't make them about others and I don't like them being made about me.

As to other people's perceptions I respectfully disagree that is info about Toronto. That would be info about those people. Splitting hairs? Maybe. Honestly, I would prefer we post facts about the city, besides I think MO knows by now how some folks around the country feel about TO.

Oh, and I apologize about the "pissin' on TO" comment OR.

BC: Stoners and draft dodgers. Alberta: Redneck Canadian Texans. Manitoba: No one remembers Manitoba. Saskatchewan: Booooring. Ontario: All rich and greedy and corrupt. Quebec: Bunch of needy seperatists. New Brunswick: ??? PEI: Potatoes and Anne of Green? Newfoundland: Too many to list. Nova Scotia: Drunken, lazy, violent, regressive. Basically alot of Newfie ones, without the funny.
    Many of us prefer the term "Newfoundlander".

And by God, yes, T.O. does have that reputation. It's pretty widely held, too. Nor is it entirely without foundation. I've often heard Torontonians spouting off about their world class city, and because of their size and financial influence, they should obviously be first to feed at the trough, other places are merely spokes on the wheel while T.O.'s the hub, etc. My favourite is when tv stations based out of T.O. will do provincial news segments... and ignore anything going on outside the city.

Basically how many other provinces perceive Ontario, the rest of Ontario perceives T.O. Justified or not, it's out there. Then you've got northern Ontario all pissy with southern Ontario for similar reasons. We're a fractious country.

I do agree with Legerd, on this, though: it's probably far too layered a thing to throw into a comic. Folks take the gospel truth from the strangest sources, and entertainment seems to be chief among them.

Quote Originally Posted by Northcott
    I do agree with Legerd, on this, though: it's probably far too layered a thing to throw into a comic. Folks take the gospel truth from the strangest sources, and entertainment seems to be chief among them.
    Could be. When I thought of it being used, I was thinking about either an off-hand comment, or a running gag.

But then it would have to be done carefully anyway. Remember Cyclops referring to Canada as "this God-forsaken country", or something along those lines? I seem to recall at least one nasty letter printed over that one.

Infinity Inc. has a similar issue once when two character flew by the Hollywood sign and said that up close it looked less impressive up close, kind of like L.A. itself. Someone wrote in, just livid at the stereotype, and the writer defended himself by saying that it wasn't his own opinion but that of his characters (Silver Scarab and Lyta, if memory serves).

New Brunswick: ???
    Everyone works in Call Centres and are too depressed to have a culture or stereotype...

Although in a recent National Servey, NB was 1st in happiest people in Canada and NS was last.

The only Stereotypes I heard of NB from out west were either positive or factual. Actually pretty close to the "Stereotypical Canadian" then anything. Friendly, hard working, French, English and First Nations co-habitating. We have a bit of an accent but not as noticable as the other Maritime provinces. We like our beer but were not drunks. Kitchen Parties lol

Maybe we should start a new thread in the cupboard rather then fill up this one with our discussion?