Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ideal Size of Omega Flight

Seven's a good number, IMO.

(I mean, we've got five in the promo art, and nobody here'd be completely happy if that was the whole team, would they?)

So we go

Talisman (I'm almost 100% sure on her)
    Beta Ray Bill (who, as a Thor geek, I'm happy to see anywhere. I wanna see him smite that Clone)
    U.S. Agent (I can see all kinds of fun with this ultra-nationalist jackass)
    SOMEBODY in the Guardian Suit (and I really hope it isn't Mac)
    Arachne/Spider-Woman/Random Chick I can;t be arsed to speculate on
    And then an original cast member- Note, original cast, not original team. Maybe Heather plays Oracle for them. Or maybe an early Beta-Flighter makes an appearance. Whatever the case may be, we're going to get further old-school fun.
    And for the seventh? I'd like to see some weird character nobody (myself included) really thinks about very often, given a chance to do something cool.
    "You cannot win, mailman Mike. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

Quote Originally Posted by Powersurge
    And I'd like to see both MM Sr. And MM Jr. Of course, I have no illusions here. Word from Oeming himself is that we are not going to see either. Or at least that there are rpesently no plans that include them.
    When did Oeming say this? Do you have a link?

I asked about MM Jr. and MM Sr. over on Oemings board at Jinxworld. His answer is in post #9. Here is a link...

http://www.606studios.com/bendisboar...ajor+mapleleaf

I asked about MM Jr. and MM Sr. over on Oemings board at Jinxworld. His answer is in post #9. Here is a link...

http://www.606studios.com/bendisboar...ajor+mapleleaf
    Personally, I couldn't be happier with that answer. I hated MML. I don't find much of anything to use from V3, besides what already existed.

I wasn't all that fond of MM Jr. myself, but liked the concept of MM Sr.

However, the two together offer some interesting story-telling potential and offer some good juxtaposition between Old School Canadian and today's "Due South"-type Canadian.

I'd like to see the reasons for MM Sr. attitudes in his first appearance dealt with. That is, why did a man of impecable heroism and character ultiamtely find himself ready and willing to kill a baby that was already dying?

I found the answer to that one in CW: Sectet Files... or whatever it's specific title was. The answer rests on the presumption that MM Sr. was indeed the product of a super-soldier experiment... a possiblity expressed in his first appearance. Any, in the CW Files Stark states that, other than Captain America, all super soldiers have developed certain mental pathologies.

So, MM Sr.'s lapse in his first appearance could be creditted to side-effects of the super-soldier serum (or whatever) that gave him his powers.

Also, sinice vol.3 seems to give some people the idea that Sr. was abusive to Jr., based solely on implication and Jr.'s self-coloured memory rather than anything concrete, I'd like to see that issue dealth with.

While I haven't read vol.3, and thus might be missing some of the particulars, I don't see how one could draw the conclusion that Sr. was indeed abusive to Jr.

Ah well, alot of people don't seem to like either of the MM's, so I guess I will never see such issues resolved.

I like to see a small focus group with the option for visits from an expanded cast. That allows the cast to be switched up occasionally as well.

As for more obscure characters - any of the following:

Marrina
    Jeffries
    Flashback
    Flex
    Goblyn (original version - not the later "humanized" variety)
    Nemesis

I think they all have potential for great stories.

While I haven't read vol.3, and thus might be missing some of the particulars, I don't see how one could draw the conclusion that Sr. was indeed abusive to Jr.
    Oh there's the panel showing a silhouette from a window of Sr. beating MMLjr as a child. though I can't remember which issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahab
    Jeffries - Yes
    Flex - Yes
    Goblyn - Please God no!

There goes my MM = Guardian theory....

Damnit! I really thought a Talented writer could have made the character I despised in Volume 3 worth something!

My ideal team:

Givens:
    Guardian
    Beta Ray Bill
    USAgent
    Arachne
    Talisman

Logical:
    Snowbird(linked to TALISMAN via Michael Twoyoungmen)
    Sasquatch(not the humourous one from VOl.3 though!!)
    Shroud(Arachne links).

Supporting:
    Heather as head of Department H??
    Gary Cody, in Departmentr H mode.

Villains:
    Lillian Van Loot
    Deadly Ernest
    Great Beasts

Thank you and goodbye from fabulous Dublin.

Going from bits and pieces and lots of speculating I'd go with a group of seven members made up of

Sas (please let it not be a flashback)
    Beta Ray Bill
    US Agent
    Arachne
    Talisman
    Guardian (Sean Bernard, for want of a name for whoevers in there)
    Persuasion (Given the events in Choosing Sides).
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Default Hate on Goblyn

Quote Originally Posted by Canucklehead
    Jeffries - Yes
    Flex - Yes
    Goblyn - Please God no!
    I know this isn't the point of this thread, but I would like to know what people didn't like about Goblyn. Aside from the whole "Mantlo replacing the classic team with his creations" debacle, what else makes people not like her? I admit that once she was drawn with feet and the writers had her becoming more human, I lost a lot of interest in her. Up until then, I thought she was an interesting character, both visually and in character potential. Nothing about her seemed human, she couldn't speak & barely could communicate well with the team. Yes, she was another feral character, but the difference was she seemed more animal than human, and would never be able to pass as human. There are a lot of feral characters already but at least she wasn't another cat-like feral character like Fearl, Thorn, Sabretooth, Wild Child, (X-Factor version), etc. Just curious as to why all of the hate?

Default Re: Hate on Goblyn

I know this isn't the point of this thread, but I would like to know what people didn't like about Goblyn. Aside from the whole "Mantlo replacing the classic team with his creations" debacle, what else makes people not like her? I admit that once she was drawn with feet and the writers had her becoming more human, I lost a lot of interest in her. Up until then, I thought she was an interesting character, both visually and in character potential. Nothing about her seemed human, she couldn't speak & barely could communicate well with the team. Yes, she was another feral character, but the difference was she seemed more animal than human, and would never be able to pass as human. There are a lot of feral characters already but at least she wasn't another cat-like feral character like Fearl, Thorn, Sabretooth, Wild Child, (X-Factor version), etc. Just curious as to why all of the hate?
    Personally, I don't hate her. I think she was interesting for a storyline, but I don't see her usefulness in the long run. Because she's more animal than human, she just seems like the AF pet, like Superman had Krypto, well, AF had Goblyn.

And what was fun with Goblyn was the interaction with Laura Dean, when Laura was a little girl and I think when she was not a mutant too. Laura was the brain and Goblyn the arms and when Laura gain her powers, it ruin that chimistry and also the Characters.
    Quand l'appétit va, tout va!
    -Obélix

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default A new Marvel Comics Presents...

...is gearing up for publication, so maybe a few of the lesser-developed characters might get a story or two included there.

I don't want to see Goblyn in Omega Flight, but that's not because I hate her. She just isn't Alpha Flight. Just isn't. And after all the issues she was in, she never learned how to say anything besides "Grrrrrrrrr" [though her hoof-feet evolved by the end of the 1st volume]. This is a character that a writer could do interesting things with, along with Laura and their mutant-hating father.

I like The Shroud, too. Always thought he was underrated, undeservedly so. If he makes it into Omega Flight, that would be good.
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.