Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Portal

Default New Portal

So, you have probably all, or many of you stumble across the portal. I accidentally made it partially live while I've been testing it, it wasn't supposed to show up yet, but I goofed up. So, for all of you haven't seen it, it's at http://forum.alphaflight.net/portal.php I'd like opinions I guess before I decide if it's going to be used or not.

Ben

Its scary... Actually in all honestly I found it a little counter intuitive. I really liked the overal portal though, it's just the business which I found confusing, and I don't think it would be welcoming to new people who haven't had a go at the forum yet.

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothsKiller
    Its scary... Actually in all honestly I found it a little counter intuitive. I really liked the overal portal though, it's just the business which I found confusing, and I don't think it would be welcoming to new people who haven't had a go at the forum yet.
    well, overall concept is still in testing stage, I haven't even decided if it's worth using at all, and still I can tweak the hell out of it, I'm just wondering if the concept is worth exploring for the forum or not

Ben

Ok, so the portal is now fully-live. All the extra info that was on the index is now on the portal, so things are cleaned up on the index, leaving room to add an Omega section to it. I still have to write a better welcome message for the portal, and add the Omega section, but the portal it's self is basiaclly complete. I will probably add more features to it in the near future, such as a calendar to track release dates ect. and possibly a block for random pics from the album.

Ben

An other possibility, if people miss seeing the forum index when they first enter the site, is I could replace all the stuff in the right column under the Welcome message with the index breakdown...

Ben

I don't know about everyone else, but I like it. Looks very professional, but to many features it could become to cluttered. I think that could be a negative in the long run.

I'm not a big fan of portal's at all, but all it takes is me changing my bookmark from index.php to forum.php, so it's no biggie

It looks and works well though, so the work you've put into it is definitely worthwhile, s'just not my cup'o tea.

more tweaking... This time trying to merge the portal and the index but in such a way that makes things handy...

Ben

thanks, I like this better
    Quand l'appétit va, tout va!
    -Obélix

It doesn't seem to be recording the messages posted. At present we all seem to have posted one message between us
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs
    It doesn't seem to be recording the messages posted. At present we all seem to have posted one message between us
    yah, it's not hitting the DB properly, minor thing that I'll have to figgure out

Ben

Ok, so I tracked down some code errors, coming from the poll block on the sidebar, it was throwing off the stats, and wasn't displaying all the poll stuff since my last tweaking. For now the poll is off the index completely, before I get into rewriting that part of the code, I'm curious if it's important to people to have the most recent poll displayed on the index, or should I perhaps look at adding in a different feature instead, such as displaying album images, or a callendar.

Ben

Why would the php doohickey be so fixated on Dec 31 1969 at 8-00am? :P
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

aw crud, didn't notice that, task for tomorrow

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    aw crud, didn't notice that, task for tomorrow

Ben
    Is that the same thing that's showing a date of 1970 as the last post entered in each folder?