Thread: RSS

Default RSS

I think I have everything set up for RSS, can someone who is fammilar with using it please tell me how they find it's function, as up until I set it up on the forum I had never even used an RSS feed.

Ben

It's working. Wow, you work quick!

There seems to be a lot of unnecessary white-space, but it's not a deal-killer or anything.

Look, I'm normally a very placid person, but if someone does not tell me exactly what RSS does and what it's uses are. I will write a bloody long message on the joys of watching paint dry. And I ain't kidding.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

let wikipedia explain it. It's better than I.
    Quand l'appétit va, tout va!
    -Obélix

Quote Originally Posted by syvalois
    let wikipedia explain it. It's better than I.
    That's bloody debatable, I read the Wiki entry, now can I have it in laymans terms (not John Layman) that someone like me will understand.

Watching Paint Dry (One mans view)
    by D P Robinson...
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

People can use a piece of software or a certain website to "subscribe" to sites with RSS. From that software of site they can keep track of all the sites they visit to see if there is new information since last time they visted. News about the site can be posted, or in the case of the forum, you can see the most recent posts all on one page.

Other details I'll leave to those who use it regularily, that's just basically what I leaned to set it up

Ben

Thank you Ben, your a scholar and a gentleman. People here should thank you for stopping my long essay. It is very boring
    Del

Have you got the url for the feed itself, Ben, as what I assumed it'd be doesn't work.
    Or is it just funky cos of the upgrading?

It works well Ben, however you should really consider setting up an RSS feed for the "Recent Updates" on the main (non-forum) website. That would be quite useful as that's really more the type of content people who aren't forum-regulars would want to subscribe to.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam
    It works well Ben, however you should really consider setting up an RSS feed for the "Recent Updates" on the main (non-forum) website. That would be quite useful as that's really more the type of content people who aren't forum-regulars would want to subscribe to.
    I've thought of doing that, and also have thought about doing it with Alphanex. Someday I shall

Ben

I have noticed tha since the upgrade peoples ages are being shown twice. No biggy in the great scheme of things, but I felt I should point it out.
    Del

Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs
    I have noticed tha since the upgrade peoples ages are being shown twice. No biggy in the great scheme of things, but I felt I should point it out.
    Yah, that's something I'm gonna tackle later. Didn't have the energy for it last night.

Ben