Thread: Myth Busting

Default Myth Busting

Now we all know that Mac has made more comebacks than Status Quo, but I was trying to figure out exactly how many times he had actually died. I can only recall one. In #12 vol 1 he was blasted into the past and space, but didn't actually die. In #100 he was again blasted into a void or whatever, but didn't actually die (?), so that leaves his demise at the hands of the 'Collective' in 'New Avengers'. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

On the other hand if we look at Northstar as an example, I can recall tthree times at least where he has actually been pronounced dead. AF #24 when Talisman goes into the 'Well of Souls', in the subway during the second battle with Deadly Ernest and recently when he was gutted by Wolverine.

Has Mac got a bad rep for no real reason ?
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Well he was killed in the classic issue 12. "Came back" around ish 24, but it and the story of being teleported away a billion miles etc ended up being fake... but all of a sudden he really comes back with the exact same story and comes back half robot then dies in 100. Comes back again in 130. In v2, he's cloned and his real body is sent into space, thought dead, he crashes into the north or south pole. Both Macs are used for a while, then his clone dies. Then he's captured in v3, sent to space, and a new Mac comes out of Shaman's pouch. THEN all of a sudden the collective come and kills Mac again with the rest of the team. Now he's back to lead Omega Flight.

I'm prolly missing something as I'm missing a chunk of v1 issues. But yeah, there's a lot of dying, coming back there. Makes Pheonix look plausible!

Edit: Northstar was killed 3 times in one month! All different dimentions and timelines though.

You forgot Mac's death(by some crazed scientist stalking Heather) and revival(via Archangel's healing blood, which also apparently raises the dead) in X-Men Unlimited.

He truly died in AF Vol 1 # 12 (and should have stayed that way)...He's never been the same since (or written very well, at least).

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Forgot about that one, thanks Dana. If we work from the times that Mac has been presumed dead then we can say he is the come back king, but with the one Dana mentions that's only two confirmed Mac deaths to Northstars three confirmed.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Issues 12, 100 and XM Unlimited make 3 buy my count :P

12 and 100 were presumed if I recall, okay #12 was a bloody long presumed , but ... Whereas NS was confirmed three times. With that in mind, I guess that a large percentage of AF have been confirmed dead and returned without to much fanfare. Snowbird has had at least one.
    Del

haha ok, ok. Like Dana I think Mac should have stayed dead after issue 12 with someone else taking up the mantle. However, now that he is back I hope he gets the characterization he deserves.

Just to add since I'm here, Oeming pretty much confired it IS Julia Carpenter coming up to Canada, on his jinxworld forum.

Until we get confirmation in Omega Flight, I am going with: Mac has never actually died, but was only presumed dead. (Except for his clone, which wasn't really him.)

I really hope it's Mac in Omega Flight. I don't want to see yet another person don the e-m suit.

I concur, Mac (or Heather !)in the suit please. Doesn't look like Heather in the promo though, unless she's on steroids and testostorone!!