Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Captian Arsehole-ica

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor
    Again, this, for me, is the divide. The SRA as originally presented was about private citizens who've volunteered into service. With which I have no problem.

The second, though, can only lead to bad; even if the theory is good. No way would man (genus) not misuse a law like that.
    Yeah, it's a tough one though. On the one hand there is the great potential for abuse. On the otherhand, there are guys like my character Powersurge, or that flame-wielding guy from way back in the first issue of X-Factor whose powers suddenly manifested and he started unintentionally frying everyone... crying out for someone to help him all along. What either wouldn't have given to have known about their mutantcy prior to the fact, and to have had measures in place to help them control it.

Rusty didn't know he had powers until he started cooking things left and right.

And how would he have suspected he had them? The SRA would only have helped him in the aftermath of his powers manifesting- in short, after the damage had been done.
    "You cannot win, mailman Mike. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

I think you're missing the point. What I am suggesting is that with something like the SRA in place, requiring the registry of spb's, it could, and probably would, open the door to detection at birth or before, ie. screening for the mutant gene.

Quote Originally Posted by Powersurge
    I think you're missing the point. What I am suggesting is that with something like the SRA in place, requiring the registry of spb's, it could, and probably would, open the door to detection at birth or before, ie. screening for the mutant gene.
    And if the mutant gene was found in unborn children, another register of potential weapons? That would open up a can of worms. So many negative scenario's suggest themselves...
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs
    And if the mutant gene was found in unborn children, another register of potential weapons? That would open up a can of worms. So many negative scenario's suggest themselves...
    Very true. It's tough to balance the *potential* abuses against the fact that numerous *mutants* would have been all for registration if such a registration could have headed off certain misfortunate/tragic incidents in their lives.

Thats part of what makes the issue so ambiguous. There is also the issue of self-concern vs. the greater good. Or such non-s.p.b. issues as should geneticist be screening for a genetic inclination for violence at birth?

Eeesh!

Actually, the U.S.-sponsored X-Factor addressed this briefly-

A doctor had come up with a way to determine of a child would become a mutant- giving mothers the otpion to abort them.

Found myself agreeing with the MLF. Very odd.

Anyway, the MLF killed the doctor, and Wolfsbane found him as he lay dying. He asked her to let his computer copy the data on his research, and then give the disks to the governments. She trashed the computer. Can't say I disagree.
    "You cannot win, mailman Mike. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

Quote Originally Posted by Powersurge

And no, speaking of snippy, bud, obviously Cap can't call for a public press conference. He can however get in contact with reporters, with lawmakers and politicians, with sympathetic Pro-Regs, just like rebels the world over, no? Or is Cap somehow hamstrung in comparison?
    He did so with Sally Floyd in Frontline, which led to the scene scanned in on page 2. Cap was the guy who talked to her with a banana-point at her back.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    He did so with Sally Floyd in Frontline, which led to the scene scanned in on page 2. Cap was the guy who talked to her with a banana-point at her back.
    How do we know it was Cap? Was it mentioned in some tie-in?

FRONTLINE#7 SPOILERS

And speaking of Sally and the scan, did anyone notice her fate s per Frontline#7? A REAL patriot saw to her release.

I suppose Cap and his gang could have kicked in the door, landed a few dozen civil servants in the hospital and rescued her, but then, she would have been a fugitive and not of much use.

Shows the kind of good that a man of conscience who maintains his loyalty can be.

Still hoping that Cap will begin using his head though. I still regard him as a HERO, despite my sometimes scathing comments.

Nice bit on Speedball in there too. It's nice to see that he does have a conscience afterall. Then again alot of people tend to develope one, promptly, when on their deathbed.