Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canadian Idiot

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Default Canadian Idiot

from 'Weird Al' Yankovic's new album "Straight Outta Lynwood", released Sept / Oct '06 (I got it a week ago, first chance I had).

Based on Green Day's "American Idiot":

Don't wanna be a Canadian idiot
    Don't wanna be some beer-swillin' hockey nut
    And do I look like some frostbitten hosehead?
    I never learned my alphabet from A to Zed

They all live on donuts and moose meat
    And they leave the house without packing heat
    Never even bring their guns to the mall
    And you know what else is too funny?
    Their stupid Monopoly money
    Can't take 'em seriously at all

Well, maple syrup and snow's what they export
    They treat curling just like it's a real sport
    They think their silly accent is so cute
    Can't understand a thing they're talkin' aboot

Sure, they've got their national health care
    Cheaper meds, low crime rates and clean air
    Then again, well, they've got Celine Dion
    Eat their weight in Kraft macaroni
    And dream of drivin' a Zamboni
    All over Saskatchewan

Don't wanna be a Canadian idiot
    Won't figure out the temperature in Celsius
    See the map, they're hovering right over us
    Tell you the truth, it makes me kinda nervous

Always hear the same kind of story
    Break their nose, and they'll just say "Sorry!"
    Tell me, what kinda freaks are that polite?
    It's gotta mean they're all up to something
    So quick, before they see it coming
    Time for a pre-emptive strike

Hey, I'm not Canadian and I've always wanted to drive a zamboni. Don't know why, just do.

Default Re: Canadian Idiot

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor
    Can't understand a thing they're talkin' aboot
    I'm still baffled by this one. Is this an Ontario thing? I've been to every province except ON and never have I heard someone say "aboot". Americans say "abaw't" we may say "abow-oot" but the "bow" is there. There's no "boot".

Anyways...

I've heard Canadians say "aboat" in B.C., Yukon, and Alberta, but I've never heard "aboot."
    "You cannot win, mailman Mike. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

I've lived in Western Canada my whole life, and have been raised around Newfies (my mother's side is Newfie), and never ONCE have I heard anything but 'abowt'...
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

We seem to pronounce every letter in the word. "ab-ow-oo-t" so maybe that's what people hear, the last "oot", but the "ow" is there. We also seem to pronounce "route" as "root" like a bus route. So maybe that also plays into it. And the top of a house is a roof, which at least on some US shows(like Home Improvement) seems to be pronounced "ruff". We clearly pronounce it as it's spelled, roof.

I think the whole thing is based on the Scottish accent that abounds through out Canada, but moreso (at least in the past) in the Maritimes. But if we must blame someone for this ongoing bad joke, let's blame South Park!

Quote Originally Posted by Legerd
    I think the whole thing is based on the Scottish accent that abounds through out Canada, but moreso (at least in the past) in the Maritimes. But if we must blame someone for this ongoing bad joke, let's blame South Park!
    Here in the Maritimes, we have some crazy accents, though "aboot" is not one of them. One thing that is very noticeable, well, about our "about"s and "what"s is that some of us add a bit to the "T" at the end. It's almost impossible to spell out but I will try. It's kind of like "about-hhh" and "what-hhh". Like the T continues into a sigh or hhh. Especially PEIslanders, eh Ben?

Quote Originally Posted by Canucklehead
    Here in the Maritimes, we have some crazy accents, though "aboot" is not one of them. One thing that is very noticeable, well, about our "about"s and "what"s is that some of us add a bit to the "T" at the end. It's almost impossible to spell out but I will try. It's kind of like "about-hhh" and "what-hhh". Like the T continues into a sigh or hhh. Especially PEIslanders, eh Ben?
    Sure, make me out to be a liar! Actually, I meant that I think the "aboot" is a parody of the Scottish accent which would be more prevalent in the Maritimes as there were many Scottish immigrants who came to live there. So... :P

I have got to learn to write out my thoughts better.

Images

On behalf of Canadians everywhere, I'd like to offer an apology to the United States of America. We haven't been getting along very well recently and for that, I am truly sorry.

I'm sorry we called George Bush a moron. He is a moron, but it wasn't nice of us to point it out. If it's any consolation, the fact that he's a moron shouldn't reflect poorly on the people of America. After all, it's not like you actually elected him.

I'm sorry about our softwood lumber. Just because we have more trees than you doesn't give us the right to sell you lumber that's cheaper and better than your own. It would be like if, well, say you have 10 times the television audience we did and you flood our market with great shows, cheaper than we could produce. I know you would never do that.

I'm sorry we beat you in Olympic hockey. In our defense I guess our excuse would be that our team was much, much, much, much better than yours. As a way of our apology, please accept all of our Canadian NHL teams, which one by one are going out of business and moving to your fine country.

I'm sorry about our waffling on Iraq. I mean, when you're going up against a crazed dictator, you want to have your friends by your side. I realize it took more than two years before you guys pitched in against Hitler, but that was different: Everyone knew he had weapons.

I'm sorry we burnt down your White-House during the war of 1812. I see you've rebuilt it! It's very nice.

I'm sorry for Alan Thicke, Shania Twain, Celine Dion, Lover Boy, the song from Sheriff that ends with the high pitched end note, your beer. I know we had nothing to do with your beer, but we feel your pain.

And finally on behalf of all Canadians, I'm sorry that we're constantly apologizing for things in a passive-aggressive way, which is really a thinly veiled criticism. I sincerely hope that you're not upset over this, because, we've seen what you do to countries with whom you get upset with. For 22 Minutes, I'm Anthony St.Joseph, I'm Canadian. And I'm sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian
    Hey, I'm not Canadian and I've always wanted to drive a zamboni. Don't know why, just do.
    Congrats Guardian, you've earned this then:

On behalf of Canadians everywhere, I'd like to offer an apology to the United States of America. We haven't been getting along very well recently and for that, I am truly sorry.

I'm sorry we called George Bush a moron. He is a moron, but it wasn't nice of us to point it out. If it's any consolation, the fact that he's a moron shouldn't reflect poorly on the people of America. After all, it's not like you actually elected him.

I'm sorry about our softwood lumber. Just because we have more trees than you doesn't give us the right to sell you lumber that's cheaper and better than your own. It would be like if, well, say you have 10 times the television audience we did and you flood our market with great shows, cheaper than we could produce. I know you would never do that.

I'm sorry we beat you in Olympic hockey. In our defense I guess our excuse would be that our team was much, much, much, much better than yours. As a way of our apology, please accept all of our Canadian NHL teams, which one by one are going out of business and moving to your fine country.

I'm sorry about our waffling on Iraq. I mean, when you're going up against a crazed dictator, you want to have your friends by your side. I realize it took more than two years before you guys pitched in against Hitler, but that was different: Everyone knew he had weapons.

I'm sorry we burnt down your White-House during the war of 1812. I see you've rebuilt it! It's very nice.

I'm sorry for Alan Thicke, Shania Twain, Celine Dion, Lover Boy, the song from Sheriff that ends with the high pitched end note, your beer. I know we had nothing to do with your beer, but we feel your pain.

And finally on behalf of all Canadians, I'm sorry that we're constantly apologizing for things in a passive-aggressive way, which is really a thinly veiled criticism. I sincerely hope that you're not upset over this, because, we've seen what you do to countries with whom you get upset with. For 22 Minutes, I'm Anthony St.Joseph, I'm Canadian. And I'm sorry.
    Speaking as a Yankee....

You, sir, are my hero.
    "You cannot win, mailman Mike. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

Images

Give it to "Anthony St. Joseph". I'm not even Canadian. Never been there.

Give it to "Anthony St. Joseph". I'm not even Canadian. Never been there.
    The comedian's real name is Colin Mochrie, you might know him from such shows as: This Hour Has 22 Minutes, and Whose Line Is It Anyway (the American version).

Here's a link to the video:

http://www.devilducky.com/media/50075/

Quote Originally Posted by Canucklehead
    Sure, make me out to be a liar! Actually, I meant that I think the "aboot" is a parody of the Scottish accent which would be more prevalent in the Maritimes as there were many Scottish immigrants who came to live there. So... :P

I have got to learn to write out my thoughts better.
    haha sorry man, didn't mean it like that. You're right about the Scottish accents in the maritimes, I was just saying I never heard the "aboot" here.

"Again on behalf of all Canadians, I'm sorry." :P

Gotta love Colin Mochrie