Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mike oeming....

I think what stuck out with me in this interview was....masterbating with your powers.

I enjoyed that, good interview and almost a confirmattion of US Agent, kinda ish.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Yeah it seems like a confirmattion to me.

I like his owrk that I've read, but something I have to touch on from the interview...
    it's always grating when writers talk about their influences and they r efer to movies such as Watership Down without any sign that they ever read the original book. And when the reference is to that PARTICULAR book, it's more grating, because that's still my favorite novel of all time.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    I like his owrk that I've read, but something I have to touch on from the interview...
    it's always grating when writers talk about their influences and they r efer to movies such as Watership Down without any sign that they ever read the original book. And when the reference is to that PARTICULAR book, it's more grating, because that's still my favorite novel of all time.
    I can understand that, but I havent skipped the book for the film. I grew up in a dysfunctional household, and at times, I was pretty much raising myself, so reading was never pushed on me. Honestly, I read my first book, HitchHikers Guide to the Galaxy at age 16 and that was because a friend of mine (Adam Hughes) had talked me into it telling me how funny it was... Thats about when I really started reading, before that, songs and TV (we couldnt get to theaters, so I only saw films when they got to TV) were my studies. I would go to sleep listening to music and making up stories from the lyrics. I really wish someone had pointed me to books like the Hobbit and Watership as a child, but that wasnt the case. But in a way, that might have actually killed my need to make up stories if I was already reading good ones, so who knows?

Most books I have read have been because of the films I saw and now that I have a real need to read, I dont have time to read nearly as much as I want. I've read tons since I was 16 and now I have a shelf of books waiting for me still, that includes Watership and a bunch of Poul Anderson fantasy books (I LOVE Broken Sword!). Most of what I can read these days has to be short, such as the Robert E Howard, wierd stuff and passages from poetry and mythology.

In short, you have a point, but its not out of ignorance, I just have about 16 years of reading Im behind on
    READ POWERS DAILY FOR FREE!
    http://comics.newsarama.com/powers/

No problem, sir. I read mostly news and 'net, very little time to read for pleasure in my life.

I still think Guardian and Talisman are who we think they are/should be.

Hopefully, some new art comes our way in 3 weeks or so...
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Oeming
    Honestly, I read my first book, HitchHikers Guide to the Galaxy
    Bad choice.
    You can only go downhill from there.

(Never start with the best!)

Quote Originally Posted by Mokole
    I still think Guardian and Talisman are who we think they are/should be.
    Who's this 'we', pale face?

- Le Messor
    "Don't Panic."

No insult was intended. I first read Watership Down when I was about 21, and it's still the favorite. Definitely worth moving up to the top of your reading list!

Every family's dysfuntional. My mother wouldn't allow me to see films like Watership or Bambi because the innocent li'l animals get hurt and I might feel bad. Oddly enough, she had no problem with films where PEOPLE get hurt...and at the extreme, if there was argument between me and my older brothers about afternoon TV programs, syndicated Three Stooges ALWAYS won over Sesame Street, because my mother obviously preferred Three Stooges.
    It really explains a lot about me....
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor
    Honestly, I read my first book, HitchHikers Guide to the Galaxy
    Bad choice.
    You can only go downhill from there.

(Never start with the best!)
    "
    You know, this is true Ive loved other books Ive read but NONE have been as pleseant, fun, exciting as Guide was. Ive loved other books, others are written better, but as a pure reading experience, nothing has topped Guide for me.

Images

Ive loved other books Ive read but NONE have been as pleseant, fun, exciting as Guide was. Ive loved other books, others are written better, but as a pure reading experience, nothing has topped Guide for me.
    Have you read Good Omens? Despite my comments about HHGTTG, that's my favourite book. Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett combine well!

I don't think I've read Watership Down, (I honestly can't remember for sure), but I've read Richard Adams' Shardik (sp?) and it's a bit too nihilistic for me. I've heard a talking book / BBC radio production of WD. Deeply disturbing.

- Le Messor
    "Oh, I need a hug."
    - Mutant Enemy

Omens was ALMOST as good as Guide, and thats saying a lot. Maybe its a combination of a great book mixed with the contect I read it making it untouchable.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor
    Have you read Good Omens? Despite my comments about HHGTTG, that's my favourite book. Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett combine well!

I don't think I've read Watership Down, (I honestly can't remember for sure), but I've read Richard Adams' Shardik (sp?) and it's a bit too nihilistic for me. I've heard a talking book / BBC radio production of WD. Deeply disturbing.

- Le Messor
    "Oh, I need a hug."
    - Mutant Enemy
    Holy sh-t!! Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett did a book together? I need to read that!! That's like amazing!! (F.Y.I. everyone should read Pratchett's The Truth, and while I'm book gushing, also read Red Dwarf by "Grant Naylor", which is an awesome spin off of the T.V. show.)

Images

Mike, Glad you liked it! (He says, almost as if he had anything to do with creating it.)

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothsKiller
    Red Dwarf by "Grant Naylor", which is an awesome spin off of the T.V. show.)
    And the follow-up, Better Than Life. I was about to lament that I've never read them, but what I meant was, I don't own them. I have read them, they're great.
    Not so much a spin off as an alternate take on the series; but I'm being pedantic here.

Anything that isn't British comedy?

Stephen King's The Stand is brilliant, but don't let it be your first SK book. I suggest Different Seasons, if you're not a horror reader. Something like The Shining or Carrie if you are.

- Le Messor
    "Joey, why's there a copy of The Shining in the freezer?"
    - Rachel

Much as I loved the tale of the pan galactic gargle blaster and the anecdotes of Eccentrica Gallumbits(TTBWOE6), I certainly think that The Restaurant at the End of the Universe was a true case of a superior sequel(ala The Empire Strikes Back).

And allow me a terribly sycophantic moment, but I am sooooo exicted about Omega Flight and the choice of Oeming as writer. I'm chanting as we speak!!

http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/...106958059_.jpg