Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help a lazy American writer out!

Default Help a lazy American writer out!

Only kidding, Im not a lazy writer, but I know someone would say that so I beat you to the punch BAM!!

But really, I could use some help. I could ask my board first, but I thought you guys would like the interaction/help.

Im constantly referencing my Canadian Maps for places and locals. It occurred to me that what I could use is a good visual- a Canadian map with the locals of Major Alpha Flight events/places.

Not an overly detailed one, but one with bullet points of such things as where the Sarcee nation is in relation to Department H, known locations where past Flight members have lived (or died) where the Master first attacked and such.

Im not even sure how much I will need this, but I know it would save me a good 5 mins between each local switch I do, and that takes time away from the actual writing of scripts.

Clearly I can do this myself, but it is time consuming and I know some of you love doing this sort of thing. An Alpha Flight map of places/events.

Let me know if you have any thoughts on this or if you think Im crazy
    READ POWERS DAILY FOR FREE!
    http://comics.newsarama.com/powers/

Mike,
    I'm sure you came to the right place first. While I'm not aware of a map currently in existence, this group knows their Alpha Flight and could easily begin filling in the locales. Of course me being a lazy American reader, I haven't put near as much of this to memory as others here and don't know my Canadian geography near as well as I could. This does sound like a neat project though and possibly something this group would want to keep up. Also, I figure anything that gives a writer more time to concentrate on making the story more appealing to the reader has to be well worth it. Especially if it gives Omega (Alpha) Flight a chance to shine again.

Thanks man! I also have a pretty crappy memory. Its in there, but I need easy reference to get it out! While one would think I know everything there is to know about Norse Mythology, I have to constantly check my books to refresh my memory on the subject. So something like this would be useful, make the story more "real"
    M!

don't give him anything until he starts spilling the beans about omega flight.

i know they are 'launching" out of civil war, but with only 3 more issues, the launch window is quickly closing.

I will just list some important places so when we make the map it will be easier as information is collected:

Birth Places:
    Aurora: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    Box (Roger Bochs): Moosejaw, Saskatchewan, Canada
    Diamond Lil: Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada
    Guardian (James): London, Ontario, Canada
    Major Mapleleaf Jr: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Marrina: ?, Newfoundland, Canada (Hatched)
    Northstar: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    Puck I : Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
    Puck II: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    Sasquatch: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Shaman: Calgary, Alberta, Canada (Sarcee Indian Reserve)
    Snowbird: Near Resolute Bay, Nunavut, Canada
    Talisman: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vindicator (Heather): Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Windshear: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Orloo, Ontario:
    -Heather and Mac were married here (Stan Lee was the reverened)
    -Hull House was located here
    -Cosmic Collector resided here
    -Puck worked at the Hull House and on the Cosmic Collector
    -Radius, Murmur, Flex, Ouija, Flinch, Ghost Girl all lived at Hull House
    -Puck first meet Wolverine and James in the Groundhog armor here
    -Puck, Wolverine and James fought Chinook here after he transformed from the Cosmic Collector
    -Years later, Chinook revived and clashed with Alpha Flight and died at the hands of Sasquatch II(Vol.2)

This is a great start- from here I can start to write things down on a map

Quote Originally Posted by King Mungi
    I will just list some important places so when we make the map it will be easier as information is collected:

Birth Places:
    Snowbird: Near Resolute Bay, Northwest Territories, Canada

Orloo, Ontario:
    -Puck, Wolverine and James fought Chinook here after he transformed from the Cosmic Collector
    -Years later, Chinook revived and clashed with Alpha Flight and died at the hands of Sasquatch II(Vol.2)

Ungava Bay

Area where Alpha and the X-Men where drawn to by Loki (Uncanny X-Men and Alpha Flight vol 1). Eventually they turned down the gifts offered.. Revisited in Alpha Flight #50 when AF went to look for cures for ailing members Northstar and Auroa. Puck returned to normal size when Razaar is released from his body (puhleese ).

Ungava Bay Wiki entry.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Just a few things: Marrina was born/hatched just north of St. John's Newfoundland; Resolute Bay is no longer in the Northwest Territories, it's in Nunavut; Windshear isn't Canadian, he was born in England.

Birth Places:
    Snowbird: Near Resolute Bay, Northwest Territories, Canada

Orloo, Ontario:
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

Yeah I was going by the handbook entries, and Windshear was said to be born in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs
    Ungava Bay

Area where Alpha and the X-Men where drawn to by Loki (Uncanny X-Men and Alpha Flight vol 1). Eventually they turned down the gifts offered.. Revisited in Alpha Flight #50 when AF went to look for cures for ailing members Northstar and Auroa. Puck returned to normal size when Razaar is released from his body (puhleese ).

Ungava Bay Wiki entry.
    Also a place where, if memory serves correctly, numerous Norse artifacts have been unearthed. Seems that someone knew what they were doing with that Loki story.

Oh, I think that some also theorize that Ungava Bay was were that other Viking -- Thorfinn something or antoher?!?! -- founded a shortlived community. They were eventually driven out by the native population.

My Norse-history is a little sketchy, being primarily West Germanic myself.

I just thought of a few things to add:

Deadly Ernest was first fought in Montreal, Quebec along with the first appearance of Nemisis. He was chopped up. Came back to life in a later issue, only to be chopped up again.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...8&om=1&iwloc=A

Sasquatch fought Gilded Lily(an ancester of Walter) in a castle on Tamarind Island, BC, which later became their HQ.
    http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&z=5&...32.563477&om=1

Alpha Flight fought the original Omega Flight the first time in New York at Roxxon, the second time was at the West Edmonton Mall in Edmonton, Alberta. That was where Delphine Courtney pretended she was Guardian back from the dead.

Lionel Jeffries (Madison Jeffries brother) was discovered in Montreal General Hospital. He had the power to manipulate human tissue. He merged with Roger Bochs to form a creature called OMEGA. Yeah, he got blowed up.

I didn't read the issue but I believe Marina was revealed to be "sleeping a false sleep" underwater in one of the Masters old HQ/Labs.

The Brass Bishop came back in v2 and turned the town of White Cross, Newfoundland into zombies, including the Prime Ministers wife. Bishop was defeated and sent back to hell.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...23.444824&om=1

In v3 the team made their HQ out of an old crashed Plodex spaceship up in the north, probably Nunavut territory, which had transporters that could send them anywhere in Canada.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...93.779297&om=1

That's all I can think of for now. Will come back with any more thoughts.

PS
    I read on your own board you asked if Trailer Park Boys were available on DVD, well all 5 or 6 seasons are and their movie actually comes out to theatres tonight, Friday, Oct 6 if you wanted to check it out

Birth Places:
    Sorry, she do not come from Montréal, but from Lavelle or whatever mispelled named they wrote. I think they meant Laval, just up north from Montréal.

http://www.mapresources.com/Lrs/CITY...X-201657_L.JPG
    Quand l'appétit va, tout va!
    -Obélix

Quote Originally Posted by syvalois
    Sorry, she do not come from Montréal, but from Lavelle or whatever mispelled named they wrote. I think they meant Laval, just up north from Montréal.

http://www.mapresources.com/Lrs/CITY...X-201657_L.JPG
    Handbook entry once again.

edit: It was mentioned it in three different handbooks...*shrugs* I knew I should have done the research myself, but thought hey handbooks will save me time.

North Pole, Alaska- Where the Collective touched down. Proof that Bendis neglected his research since it is NOT that small a town, and it's so close to Fairbanks (my hometown) that we practically consider it a suburb. As such, AF's showdown with the Collectivew was probably somehwere in Yukon, British Columbia, or the Northwest Territory, because by the time the Collective even entered Canada, it had to have been walking a long, long time.
    "You cannot win, mailman Mike. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."