Thread: Stupid Question...

Default Stupid Question...

Shouldn't Wolverine have been Weapon "kie" as in the greek 'X' and not Weapon "ecks" since Jimmy is Weapon Alpha and the teams are designated with a greek system?

Theoretically your probably right, but maybe it was just a case of Wolvie being tied to Department K to begin with. 'H' seemed to be more into the greek designation thing. Although that loses some validity if we bring the Weapon X from vol 2 into the equation.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Marketing. X just sounds cooler. As in X-Men. No one would fear "Weapon Kie". Sounds too much like "key".

"Grrrr... I'll unlock any door ya throw at me!"

Doesn't have the same zing.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

It's not pronounced like 'Key', more like 'Kai' (Chi).

Seagle, somewhere around v2, called it Weapon Chi, claiming echs was a misread (since the Greek letter Chi looks like our Echs).

The more you know!

- Le Messor
    "As long as the brain is a mystery, the universe will also be a mystery."
    - Santiago Ramon y Cajal

If I could I'd dig up Grant Morrison's New X-Men issues that address this... but they're not in this house.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor
    It's not pronounced like 'Key', more like 'Kai' (Chi).

Seagle, somewhere around v2, called it Weapon Chi, claiming echs was a misread (since the Greek letter Chi looks like our Echs).

The more you know!
    Ahh, thanks I had no idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    If I could I'd dig up Grant Morrison's New X-Men issues that address this... but they're not in this house.
    Morrison - like writers before him - turned Weapon X (Greek 'Chi') into Weapon 10 (meaning that Logan was the 10th weapon in the Project) of the Weapon Plus program. That's where Tieri had fun in his Weapon X series, because you had the Weapon X (Chi) Program versus the Weapon Plus Program... Logan seems to have been in a LOT of programs... is it any wonder why he's so buggered up??
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

and the first version of "Weapon X" was none other than.....Captain America (Weapon I)

But then you have the "real" original Captain America...

Honestly, no wonder I dropped Marvel.
    "You cannot win, mailman Mike. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

"X" is a popular letter. The whole Weapon X program didn't have anything to do with greek lettering I don't think. Guardian was Weapon Alpha for his own weird reasons, and Alpha Flight didn't have anything to do with Weapon X (or did it!?!?!/1 MAYBE there's a conspiracy there to explore!!!!! Dept. H was helping Weapon X until it split from Plus. They could explore that in a comic Weapon X vs. a secret Dept. H)

I liked the whole Weapon Plus theory, it connected alot of the seemingly loose ends within the Marvel Archives. It made it seem like there was a huge shadow cabal dictating the evolution of mankind. Cap is in, Wolvie is in, Deadpool is in, Sabertooth is in, Maverick is in (Luke Cage could be in), it makes your wonder who else is in on it. Spooky stuff, really cool. That's why I liked Morrison's run, it was... simple in it's complexity, and complex in it's simpicity...

I still want to know who that one guy was on the space station when Wolvie, Cyclops, and Fantomex went up there. That weird guy with the sunglasses. He was cool.

But um, yeah, X was cool back in the day.