Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Essential is Alpha Flight?

Default How Essential is Alpha Flight?

Or as Joey da Q says
    NRAMA: ESSENTIAL ALPHA FLIGHT. Will it happen? When will we see it? C'mon man, throw us poor Canadians a bone here!

JQ: Look for an announcement very soon. I predict that fans of the classic Alpha flight team will be very happy.

http://www.newsarama.com/NewJoeFrida...Fridays14.html
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

The Essentials are the big black and white books right? That's better than nothing, but I'd love to have soom nice colour bookshelf copies of the early issues.

Still, this has me excited.

I never saw AF first apparences in X-men, I would like to have a book like that, just so I could see that or those issues.
    Quand l'appétit va, tout va!
    -Obélix

Very happy AF is getting so much buzz lately old and new.

Color would be much better than blank and white, but this is still good news. Assuming that I'm assuming correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam
    The Essentials are the big black and white books right? That's better than nothing, but I'd love to have soom nice colour bookshelf copies of the early issues.

Still, this has me excited.
    I have no idea how many issues are put into an Essentials volume, but given that most volumes are 500+ pages I would guess around 20 ish. So that would cover quite a bit of the UXM appearences and the classic Byrne run. That'll do for me.

I'm kinda biased in regards to the colour/B&W debate. IMHO there aren't many finer sights than John Byrne art in B&W. I have the majoriity of the early UXM appearences, but I'm up for this just to see the classic AF in one bound volume.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Quote Originally Posted by syvalois
    I never saw AF first apparences in X-men, I would like to have a book like that, just so I could see that or those issues.
    While I was fortunate enough to snag copies of X-Men 120 and the like at a show years back I'd still love to have bookshelf copies.

Interestingly, the Days Of Future Past TP includes X-Men 139 / 140 (Guardian, Snowbird, Shaman vs Wendigo with Wolverine / Nightcrawler) and the back of the book claims it's the "first apperance of Alpha Flight" (which of course it isn't).

I have to agree with Del that Byrne's linework looks great in B&W. The only Essential I own is the Iron Fist one, and that includes some nice early Byrne work. I think I remember an article where Byrne said he actually preferred his work without colour.

Regarding the Essentials, they usually run between 25-30 issues and have a pagecount of 550+. It will be interesting to see if they actually include any X-Men in the collection, since Byrne's Alpha run was 28 issues.

Guardian, I like the Alpha composite in your sig. Did you do that yourself?

Del, is that the actual OF title logo? Sorry, I've been out of the loop lately.

Cheers,
    -Michael

The OF logo is just one of many run up bt Canucklehead on the Alpha/Omega thread. Also a nice depiction of what #1 may look like. I just pinched the banner cos it appealed to me.

Hopefully with the Essential AF it'll have the five UXM issues and a certain amount of the first 28 Byrne issues.
    Del

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian
    Color would be much better than blank and white, but this is still good news.
    Sorry, Guardian. Alpha Flight are Canadian. They'd never be put in color.

Colour, maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by mvranas
    I have to agree with Del that Byrne's linework looks great in B&W. I think I remember an article where Byrne said he actually preferred his work without colour. -Michael
    Hardly conclusive, since he's colour-blind.

I think it's about time original AF got the trade treatment!
    I don't know if they would include the X-Men issues, but. They've already been put in Essential X-Men. (They might include them, they might not. I don't know.)

I don't think I'll buy it, though. Not without colour, not when I've already got everything they could put into it.
    But I hope a lot of people do!

- Michael
    "I bet she never shed a tear over her father's death."
    "Hardly conclusive, as Klingons have no tear ducts."
    - Star Trek, The Undiscovered Country

Quote Originally Posted by mvranas
    Guardian, I like the Alpha composite in your sig. Did you do that yourself?
    No I didn't unfortunately. I found it off the internet a while back. Don't remember where though.

Sorry, Guardian. Alpha Flight are Canadian. They'd never be put in color.
    Colour, maybe...

He never said they were going to get the essential treatment in his answer though. They might get something in colour after all.

He never says there will be an Essential Alpha Flight, only that fans of the classic team will be happy! Where have we heard that line before? I'll believe when I see!

Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs
    The OF logo is just one of many run up bt Canucklehead on the Alpha/Omega thread.
    I have many

I'd love to see an AF Essential! I've only ever picked up one (AMZ S-Man) but I would definitely pick this up!