Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: another interview

"fans were in an uproar as the once popular Marvel Comics team was seemingly disrespected."

...jerks
    ===
    "There will be plenty of original (surviving) Alpha Flight cast popping up."

Good to hear
    ===
    "The idea is that in many ways, both the real world and the Marvel World, this is the "Last" chance for Flight... Omega Flight."

Yeah don't agree with that, how many other characters have gotten a revamp?
    ===
    "But then, Bendis goes and kills them off panel and people freak out with Hawkeye like craziness and suddenly anyone who once loved Flight (even if they haven't bought an issue in a decade) started to scream for Alpha Flight"

Damn right, I was on 10 different boards in an uproar
    ===
    "Also, there are lots of Flight members still alive, just because they aren't on the team doesn't mean we wont see them."

Very true, but their not cared about as much as the originals
    ===
    "I can't go into the cast, but needless to say there are Canadians on the team."

Canadians on the team meaning more than one
    ===
    "At this point, there are three on or working with the team, although in the promo image we only see one."

See one? well looks were back to square one with his older interview. Plus three eh? good to hear hopefully it's past members of Flight.
    ===
    "I'm hoping it will help American readers understand how important Canada is to our survival – we get almost 20% of our oil from Canada and a huge portion of our electricity and power comes from there and they have huge water supplies," explained the writer."

haha I guess the Canadian resources thread was useful

you beat me to it, especially the "canadians" comment and the 3 or so working with the team.

this comment also confirms another member:

The announcement of Oeming, with "Omega Flight" artist Scott Kolins, writing a short USAgent story in the upcoming "Civil War: Choosing Sides" has some wondering if that's confirmation of John Walker joining the team. "I’m guessing it probably is," smiled Oeming. "It is a ‘Civil War’ story and ‘Omega Flight’ spins out of ‘Civil War.’ Agent is just fun because he's an ass and he's practically Cap’s equal."

part 2 is tomorrow with scott kollins.

The biggest problem is going to be figuring out the French Canadian thing. I think it best to not deal with that so much until I learn much more. Better to not touch on it than to screw it up or toss in a few words that really don't fit"

\/ \/ Wow, I think, I really like that writer. Of course, I would like him to learn fast
    Quand l'appétit va, tout va!
    -Obélix

Quote Originally Posted by syvalois
    The biggest problem is going to be figuring out the French Canadian thing. I think it best to not deal with that so much until I learn much more. Better to not touch on it than to screw it up or toss in a few words that really don't fit"

\/ \/ Wow, I think, I really like that writer. Of course, I would like him to learn fast
    Haha, I thought of you as soon as I read that part. Well you did tell him if he had any questions he could ask you, so hopefully he takes you up on that offer.

I'm liking this more and more. So 3 Canadians, one on the cover, one survivor from the attack will pop up with maybe two working with the team. If that's the case, probably not a powerhouse like Sasquatch. Hopefully it's Heather or Puck who can be a liason or teach.

2007 can't come soon enough!

Excellent interview. Its got me more excited for this book.

Sounds like Guardian, Talisman on the team properly, and maybe Persuasion or Witchfire or even Puck on it too.
    Time and Tide, no, wait.
    Go Leafs, Go Stamps, Go Omega Flight!

"But then, Bendis goes and kills them off panel and people freak out with Hawkeye like craziness and suddenly anyone who once loved Flight (even if they haven't bought an issue in a decade) started to scream for Alpha Flight"

I still really don't get it...Sounds like this is/was the perfect time to reintroduce the original Alpha Flight, stronger, madder, edgier with maybe a new mission/format.

Marvel's logic just escapes me.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

"Canadians" puts it plain about who Talisman and Guardian are. NO doubt there. More? One helping but not on the team? maybe ding communication and such stuff? That could be Puck, Heather, Walter, Manikin, or even Persuasion.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokole
    "Canadians" puts it plain about who Talisman and Guardian are. NO doubt there. More? One helping but not on the team? maybe ding communication and such stuff? That could be Puck, Heather, Walter, Manikin, or even Persuasion.
    I hope your first statement is true. And the more the better.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Okay, now I've seen a bit more of Kollins' work.

Gotta say, I'm not loving it.

Well, everything but the 'not'. I am loving it! Detailed, realistic, without looking too cramped. This guy's good.
    (I wonder what it'll look like coloured up? )

"Only your real Alpha Flight fans would know that though, as the average reader never heard of Omega Flight or even know they were a villain team. I didn't until I read it myself." Like many Marvel Fans from the eighties, Oeming grew up reading the classic John Byrne run of "Alpha Flight" and while he may not have memorized every detail of the book,"

Does anyone else see a contradiction here? Even with the 'didn't memorise every detail' bit, I doubt you could be a fan of the Byrne run and forget that name.
    Of course, he didn't call himself a fan...

Also, we've got a new Mac (and for you doubters, this interview *should* have erased the last smudge of doubt... but I know better. *sigh*) on a team with the same name as the team that killed the 'riginal. Insensetive much? I mean, it's not like anything can go too wrong with an Omega Flight with a fake Mac...

"It was a real ‘Ah-ha’ moment for me when it all just clicked into place."

I like A-Ha... 'least the two or three songs I know. 'specially Chris dancing to them in Family Guy.

"I love Orange Horse Skulls from space, ... he kicked Thor’s butt in a fair fight! He's one of Marvels powerhouses and has gotten the short straw. I’m hoping to change that.

I think I see where his real passion lies.

I heard the other night, a propos a nothing, a theory: that comic companies have to keep putting out comics with old titles every few years, to keep the copyright / trademark. Whether they have the title characters in them or not. (Ironically, Alpha didn't come up in this conversation.) I don't know if it's true or not, but it makes sense. Especially of why Alpha has had three 'Last chances' in the last ten years (that long? Really? )

It seems to me that every time they get it into their heads to release a brand new series, set it in Canada, throw in one or two Alphans, and put the word 'Flight' on the cover, they can guarantee a few sales (ours).
    All that needs to happen is that the writer and / or artist come here or to Newsarama, say that they love Byrne's run, it's the last chance ever for Alpha Flight, we'll see more Alphans if we read ## issues. When that happens, we'll be scrambling to support our team. They've guaranteed several sales (I don't know how many, but I could name a few people; Me, Del, Ben, Sylvie, etc... will all try out the new series and give it far more chance than it deserves) and it didn't cost them a cent.

Marvel would be a pretty dumb business if they didn't know this.

Right now, I think the Exiles writer is showing more respect for Alpha than Seagle and Lobdell did. Instead of promising Alpha and delivering something alien to me, he's promising nothing, and delivering Alpha. I like the second way better.

This is not by way of saying "the series will suck"--I don't think that. It's more about "I'll decide when I see it. Not based on what we say, not based on what I say, and certainly not based on what Steve Seagle, Scott Lobdell, and Mike Oeming all said."
    I don't believe their statements come from the heart; I believe they come from Marvel. I don't believe they're huge fans of Byrne's run; I don't believe this is Alpha's last chance; I don't believe in love, I never have, I never will (great, now I've got that song stuck in my head); and I don't yet believe we'll see a lot of Alpha Flight in this series.
    Yet. (Emphasis mine.)

I don't like promises. I'd rather Oeming write the book and let us see for ourselves if AF show up, than him telling us they will.

So, right now, I'm expecting a good but Alpha-less series from Oeming.
    Promise not. Do, or do not. There is no promise.

- Le Messor
    "An ounce of pretention is worth a pound of manure."

Interview with Kolins is up now: http://www.comicbookresources.com/ne...em.cgi?id=8436

It sounds pretty good.

Edit: Harvey's is Canadian?

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothsKiller
    Interview with Kolins is up now: http://www.comicbookresources.com/ne...em.cgi?id=8436

It sounds pretty good.

Edit: Harvey's is Canadian?
    My dad always said Harvey's is the Canadian Arbies... but they're nothing alike so he musta lied to me so I'd stop asking stupid questions lol

For those who read the interview, the first picture will come up with a broken link. The real link is:
    http://images.comicbookresources.com...001027_col.jpg

Harvey's is Canadian? I didn't know that.

No new info there, but that's not news either

Funny still that people are keen to learn that Guardian is Guardian et al. Can't be bad...
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokole
    Harvey's is Canadian? I didn't know that.

No new info there, but that's not news either

Funny still that people are keen to learn that Guardian is Guardian et al. Can't be bad...
    I must admit I knew Harvey's is canadian.
    Quand l'appétit va, tout va!
    -Obélix