Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: scott kollins interview over at popculture

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian
    For me to get it to work I did this: I have a photobucket account. So I found an image I liked of the internet and saved it to my computer. I went to my photobucket account and uploaded it to my account. Then it gave me an image url (among others) off my image. I then cut the url off of photobucket, went to my AF profile and pasted it into my signature. And it worked.
    Woohoo! Thanks dude, much appreciated!

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Oeming
    but more time goes by, the more we are incorporating things from the original Flight It wont look like that, especially in the firs few issues, but trust me,
    Forgive me,

But that's exactly what Steve Seagle told us.

... at least it looks like Omega will be a good series.

- Mik
    "An atheist is someone with no invisible means of support."
    - John Buchan

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor
    Forgive me,

... at least it looks like Omega will be a good series.
    I actually enjoyed v2, though, there were a few things that, imo, lead to it's premature cancellation. The major one was the speratic art changes. In a 20 issue series, it went from Clark to Hitch, back to Clark to Cruz to Winn to Olivetti to Rouleau to Wood and finally back to Rouleau. Damn. How many non-flagship books out there do you think could survive that? Not many. At least with Omega we will have consistanly good art.

Another problem was some of the choices of stories. That 2 part Micronaut storyline could not have helped sales. V3 did the same thing with the Wax figure issues(again with a change of artist) so many dropped the book after that. The stories have to smart and entertaining, especially within the first 12. You have a couple yawner issues and you'll loose many readers.

Finally, the cast. V2 did have too many non-AFers. If they'd have kept Madison and had the real Sasquatch from the beggining, I think the stories would have been so much better. Add to that the constant art changes and a couple weak storylines, boom, cancelled before any of the seeds planted in the first few issues could be explored. V3 did the same thing. Too many new characters. It took 12 issues just to find out one of the members powers!

The difference with this concept is that the "new" characters are already players in the Marvel U and with their own fan base. Fans of Julia Carpenter, Beta Ray and USAgent(all two of them) are going to pick this book up. Add to that the die hard AF fans and we could see some good sales here. No one said "Major Mapleleaf Junior!? SNAP! I gotta pick this up!". That will alone keep the sales up until, as Oeming said, the originals will start to appear again. If he can come up with some great stories(as I know he can) I think we'll have a very entertaining run here.

It's up to us to keep it going. Give Mr. Oeming the time and patience and we'll see our favorites back. Give up on the book after ish 3 because there's no Sasquatch and well, I doubt you'd ever see him again. Omega = last chance people!

Canucklehead's right about V2. I liked it quite a bit at times, and I particularly liked it under Rouleau, but the inconsequential story lines (the Micronauts and Big Hero 6 stories lead nowhere and could be completely ignored without affecting the overall arc of the run) and the really poor inconsistent art choices killed it.

As an example, I can't fathom why they dumped this intended cover:

http://www.alphaflight.net/character..._gallery29.jpg

for... ugh... this...

http://www.alphaflight.net/cover_gallery/af2_18.jpg

Reading Seagle's notes on where the series would have gone (Gentry as Mac) I think it could have been pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam
    Canucklehead's right about V2. I liked it quite a bit at times, and I particularly liked it under Rouleau, but the inconsequential story lines (the Micronauts and Big Hero 6 stories lead nowhere and could be completely ignored without affecting the overall arc of the run) and the really poor inconsistent art choices killed it.

As an example, I can't fathom why they dumped this intended cover:

http://www.alphaflight.net/character..._gallery29.jpg

for... ugh... this...

http://www.alphaflight.net/cover_gallery/af2_18.jpg

Reading Seagle's notes on where the series would have gone (Gentry as Mac) I think it could have been pretty good.
    Exactly, man. I was thinking about the Big Hero 6 story too. I mean, it had nothing to do with anything! I must admit Rouleau's work did grow on me, as did some of the characters. Flex and Radius grew a lot durring the short run and I thought had great potential. Murmur..uh.. not so much. If the series hadn't been cancelled, I would have loved to see what Seigle had planned to actually happened. There were hints of the original team coming back just after the first year, but people couldn't wait that long and it ended just as they had come back.

There were some corny parts, I admit. I believe though that the eratic art styles (and cover art, thanks Adam) was the main cause of falling sales numbers. I remember reading the sales weren't even that low. Somewhere near +35,000. That'd be a success these days! Wasn't it at the same time Marvel was going bankrupt and had to cancel some titles? It's a shame really.

Quote Originally Posted by Oeming
    but more time goes by, the more we are incorporating things from the original Flight It wont look like that, especially in the firs few issues, but trust me,
    Forgive me,

Frightening, isn't it? Truth to tell...If he wants to DO Omega Flight, then he should DO Omega Flight...Please don't drag Alpha Flight into the equation.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

I got to read Seagle's run and liked it up until they obviously told him it was cancelled and he had to cram stuff in to get done by #20. The stories were good and he didn't have the 'decompression' problem other guys have, his threads or plots moved forward and still told stories. The way things were going with the conspiracies it would've been cool to see him keep going and just make the stories bigger and bigger in scope, like he was doing. None of the characters were that good but I liked it anyway.

I have higher hopes for Omega Flight.
    Time and Tide, no, wait.
    Go Leafs, Go Stamps, Go Omega Flight!

It's funny when we're talking about how good or bad v2 and 3 were when volume 1 ended so badly. I just went and read issue 128-130 for the first time. Damn, no wonder the book was cancelled. What a stinker. The art was so bad and the dialogue had me roling my eyes and skipping sections just to get through it. V2 may have had different characters but the quality was there. As for characters, I'd still much rather have a Flex or Radius over a Wyre, Goblyn or even Manikin. The books contained the Master and Dream Queen yet they're final battle was with a crappy, thrown together rendition of Omega Flight. Miss Mass? Brain Drain? ugh.

With all of it's faults, V2 was still light years ahead of the final stories in v1. If Marvel hadn't gone bankrupt, I bet we wouldn't be talking about v3 and 4 because v2 would not have failed so early and may have still been around today.

One final note, speaking of the last storyline in volume 1, I just noticed the Master said something interesting: "This then is how it ends, Alpha Flight. Your time is past. Finished. The Future--Belongs to OMEGA FLIGHT!"

Quote Originally Posted by Canucklehead
    It's funny when we're talking about how good or bad v2 and 3 were when volume 1 ended so badly. I just went and read issue 128-130 for the first time. Damn, no wonder the book was cancelled. What a stinker. The art was so bad and the dialogue had me roling my eyes and skipping sections just to get through it. V2 may have had different characters but the quality was there. As for characters, I'd still much rather have a Flex or Radius over a Wyre, Goblyn or even Manikin. The books contained the Master and Dream Queen yet they're final battle was with a crappy, thrown together rendition of Omega Flight. Miss Mass? Brain Drain? ugh.

With all of it's faults, V2 was still light years ahead of the final stories in v1. If Marvel hadn't gone bankrupt, I bet we wouldn't be talking about v3 and 4 because v2 would not have failed so early and may have still been around today.

One final note, speaking of the last storyline in volume 1, I just noticed the Master said something interesting: "This then is how it ends, Alpha Flight. Your time is past. Finished. The Future--Belongs to OMEGA FLIGHT!"
    Actually I would put down the bad ending to vol 1 down to TPTB. Furman was told he had to abandon the stories he had planned out for Alpha and involve them in Infinity Crusade (Infinity something anyways). After Infinity Crusade he was told AF was being wound up. He had to adjust to clear up the Mac thing as best as possible, thus the crappy filler and last story. As for vol 2, well I bought all the issues, read them the once and put them away.

The Future--Belongs to OMEGA FLIGHT!" I like that, The Flight begat Alpha, Alpha begat Omega. Natural progression
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs
    Actually I would put down the bad ending to vol 1 down to TPTB. Furman was told he had to abandon the stories he had planned out for Alpha and involve them in Infinity Crusade (Infinity something anyways). After Infinity Crusade he was told AF was being wound up. He had to adjust to clear up the Mac thing as best as possible, thus the crappy filler and last story. As for vol 2, well I bought all the issues, read them the once and put them away.

The Future--Belongs to OMEGA FLIGHT!" I like that, The Flight begat Alpha, Alpha begat Omega. Natural progression
    Yeah I can understand that. I guess I'm a bit biased because v2 was my first intro to AF. I went back and read the Byrne run and was blown away... then I got to the later issues and lost complete interest. When Northstar, Aurora, Snowbird and Shaman disappeared and were replaced by characters like Manikin and Goblyn and they were flying around in space, yeah that was it for me lol. They may have been introduced earlier then later characters but they were still pretty lame. I'll even take MML jr over most post-Byrne characters anyday (excluding Persuasion, Witchfire and Pathway).

I haven't read much of vol.2, or all of vol.1 (and none of vol.3 , but one the things that I really liked about it were the Epsilon troopers. It would have been nice to see them working in support of the heroes, perhaps being given a bit of space on their own, setting up a larger story, perhaps even being the central figures for an issue or two.

Of course, Department H would have to have a little more depth... more like the pre-volume 1 Dep.H, in which it might have been ambiguous to an extent, but which nevertheless had sound reasons for it's actions.

I guess I am also one of the few that liked (the basic idea of) both Major Mapleleaf Sr. and Major Mapleleaf Jr. Them dudes got issues that need resolving, and stories to be told.

I really don't buy that MM Sr. was a childbeater. I might buy that contemporary notions of childcare and discipline might run counter to some of those held by our culture back in the 40's. And I also buy that an "ill-favoured" son might have some strange memories regarding his upbringing. But MM Sr. as a childbeater. Nope. Don't buy that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Powersurge
    Of course, Department H would have to have a little more depth... more like the pre-volume 1 Dep.H, in which it might have been ambiguous to an extent, but which nevertheless had sound reasons for it's actions.
    Department H was HUGE in vol.2, check the alphanex to see just how indepth they were

Quote Originally Posted by Powersurge
    I

I guess I am also one of the few that liked (the basic idea of) both Major Mapleleaf Sr. and Major Mapleleaf Jr. Them dudes got issues that need resolving, and stories to be told.

I really don't buy that MM Sr. was a childbeater. I might buy that contemporary notions of childcare and discipline might run counter to some of those held by our culture back in the 40's. And I also buy that an "ill-favoured" son might have some strange memories regarding his upbringing. But MM Sr. as a childbeater. Nope. Don't buy that one.
    I'm in complete agreement with you here, 'Surge. To me, the line between discipline and abuse was not crossed because Sr's entrance into the scene included dialogue, "what have I told you about nosing through other people's things?" or to that effect. Obviously those time outs and corner time for Jr's prior invasions of privacy didn't correct the problem...time for a smack. Sr. also was not shown to be lost in rage and slapping both kids around...just the offender.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Default ???

Forgive me,
    I guess that I don't understand this comment. What does it matter if Seagle said the same thing? These are two different people. In a way, that's like not ever trusting someone that says that they love you because the last person that you dated made the same statement. Sorry to comment, but it seems a shame that some people are already judging Oeming before even giving him a chance. I'm not saying that you are, Mik, but there seem to be a lot of comments to that effect. I just don't understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    I'm in complete agreement with you here, 'Surge. To me, the line between discipline and abuse was not crossed because Sr's entrance into the scene included dialogue, "what have I told you about nosing through other people's things?" or to that effect. Obviously those time outs and corner time for Jr's prior invasions of privacy didn't correct the problem...time for a smack. Sr. also was not shown to be lost in rage and slapping both kids around...just the offender.
    It's nice to know someone feels as I do on this issue Kozzi24.

And not only what you say above, but I am unaware (at least in my ignorance) of any testimony to the fact that Sr. beat Jr. other than the *allusion* made in Jr.'s memory. A memory born in the mind of a frightened child that had been caught redhanded doing what he knew was wrong.

Of course, that still leaves MM Senior behaving very unheroically in his debute issue. It's hard to believe that a renowned heroes of firm values and great conviction, probably comparable to Captain America, could sink so low as to seek to take the life of a baby, just cause it was getting the attention his eldest son never got while dying of AIDS.

I guess one could say that he was wshed up and depressed, but he certainly didn't look all that washed. In facy, physically, he still looked very impressive. And mentally, one would imagine a hero of his calibre from his generation would be made of firmer stuff.

Maybe a better angle to loop-hole Sr. out of the cast as a baby-killer is somekind of side-effect of the supposedly experiment that tuirned him nito a superhuman. Yeah, thats it... a side-effect drove him into his deep depression and unbalanced his thinking for a time. He better get that checked.