Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Canada's RESOURCES?

Quote Originally Posted by Canucklehead
    Ever since Fast and the Furious came out, everyone with a Civic thinks they're cool. They see people smilling and pointing at them as they rev their engine, they think they are "the bomb". What they don't realize is, is that everyone is pointing and laughing at them.
    Well, at least they are a minority. Everywhere you will find stupid people. As for fast and furious, I saw the second one. The "hero" was driving really fast, while looking in the eyes of the girls sitting next to him. The movie was making him sound as cool. I could not beleive it, What a Moron! What a stupidity, a no brainer! And that's suposed to be the hero? I just saw that scene and well thought it was a waste of my time.

You know, some time ago, I saw a video clip showing a real home video about a person driving really fast. You know what? We see the guy having an accident and he died just there in front of the camera. The song was called "De HĂ©ros Ă* ZĂ©ros"(from heros to zeros). I thought it was appropriate.

sorry it's not really the subject here.
    Quand l'appétit va, tout va!
    -Obélix

1) Beaubier was a name present in Montreal through the 70's and 80's at least. J (Torres, the writer I was working with on Degrassi) knew a couple of them, I think. There may be none left, but it was a Quebecois name.

2) Canada is also a world leader in technology innovation. Some of the world's most advanced medical research is done here. I'm sure you folks have heard of the Blackberry (Crackberry) -- that was invented here in Kitchener/Waterloo, and RIM continues to keep the core of their operations here. In fact, the K-W area continues to be known as the centre of Canada's high-tech industry. It was here that the circutry and programming for the USA's old MX series of missiles was developed and produced.

3) As has been pointed out, we're the largest supplier of oil to the USA, and have been for around a decade, iirc.

4) Don't make the mistake of trying to portray Canada as a single culture -- or even the old standby of "Two Solitudes". This land is a pastiche of a thousand cultures, and that sense of multiculteralism is slowly transforming from a source of friction into a source of pride. Along with the Quebecois, there's the very Irish roots of Newfoundland, the more free-thinking and hip "Left Coast", a couple dozen native cultures fighting to survive (I spent a couple years living on an Ojibwa rez), and immigrants coming in every day to add their flavour to the nation. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

5) History. The references to Logan as the "Crazy Canuck" are born from writers who apparently remembered WWII -- or knowing people who remembered it. Canadians had (and to a great degree, still have) a reputation for soldiers who are under-funded and under-supplied, but skilled, dedicated, and remarkable capable. We're currently holding down the fort in Afghanistan while the US is entrenched in Iraq.

6) We do not have a Big Conspiracy government. This has repeatedly irked me about the past incarnations of Alpha: every writer seems to think it would be funky to have big goverment conspiracies behind things.

Our government is lucky if it can get through half a year without embarassing itself. We favour politicians who are borderline insane, but tow a good middle-of-the-road approach to governing. A 70 year-old who throws protesters in choke-holds, subdues intruders by clubbing them with Inuit carvings, and can be found breathless after dashing up a staircase to prove you're still virile? We can tolerate that. Hell, we even enjoy it. The slightest whiff of an extremist agenda -- in any direction -- will get you turfed faster than you can blink, though.

Byrne had it right with government funding and Alpha's status being yanked. That's far more likely to happen than the Machiavellian plotting of later renditions of Department H. For Chrissakes, we still flip out when criminals go so far as to use guns! There is some little truth to the stereotype of quiet, polite Canadians.

7) Water. The world is growing short of it. We have the largest supply of it.

The Northern Pass. The arctic is thawing. For the last couple centuries, nobody has batted an eye that Canada has claimed the frozen north as part of our sovereign lands. Now that it's thawing and becoming a potential hotbed for shipping, the USA -- along with several other nations -- are suddenly hinting that they may not recognize our sovereignty in northern waters. Our current Prime Minister has (rightly, in my mind) seen fit to revive our former military presence in the far north.

9) Other types of energy. We provide a great deal of hydro-electric energy to the east coast of the USA. Our grids are so inter-connected that when someone south of the border caused a massive blackout a couple years ago, it shut down much of Southern Ontario as well. I'm not sure whether or not Quebec got hit by that as well.

Touching on that point: Mac got his start working for the big energy companies. He's worked for the government. He created a suit that, in spite of looking skin tight and passing as spandex, is so advanced that it serves to prove Einstein's Unified Field Theory. The raw power in it is astounding. Seeing him do some good with that would be nice. Or at least referencing background activities in trying to set up larger-scale power generation.

He's a personal favourite. I'd be ever so grateful if a writer finally did something with him instead of having him made of cardboard. He hasn't gotten a decent treatment since his early appearances.

There's much more, I'm sure. What it boils down to is that Canada is the "quiet" country. Much of what we do remains in the background. We're not loud about things, for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by Northcott
    1) Beaubier was a name present in Montreal through the 70's and 80's at least. J (Torres, the writer I was working with on Degrassi) knew a couple of them, I think. There may be none left, but it was a Quebecois name.
    Yeah, but look in Alberta, there is a lot more there. It's not like they where named Tremblay. But Byrne did not have to give them the most popular name in the province either. To have a name not that common can show our diversity too. I was just saying, that at least 1 character should have an easily recognisable last name. Ok, the couple renting to the Hudson and a good last name Lapierre, but they where the first gay couple in Marvel history, you know, Georges and François.

2) Canada is also a world leader in technology innovation.
    Makes me think of hollywood special effects, a lot is been done here. Softimages and other compagnies.

3) As has been pointed out, we're the largest supplier of oil to the USA, and have been for around a decade, iirc.

5) We're currently holding down the fort in Afghanistan while the US is entrenched in Iraq.
    And Canadian army is good in humanitarian cause. Like they are good in helping in natural disaster. Remember the icestorm? or the flood in Saguenay? Or maybe also the flood in Manitoba in 1997.

9) Other types of energy. We provide a great deal of hydro-electric energy to the east coast of the USA. Our grids are so inter-connected that when someone south of the border caused a massive blackout a couple years ago, it shut down much of Southern Ontario as well. I'm not sure whether or not Quebec got hit by that as well.
    No, Hydro-Québec was not affected. The system they use is different.
    -Obélix

Quote Originally Posted by syvalois
    Yeah, but look in Alberta, there is a lot more there. It's not like they where named Tremblay. But Byrne did not have to give them the most popular name in the province either. To have a name not that common can show our diversity too. I was just saying, that at least 1 character should have an easily recognisable last name. Ok, the couple renting to the Hudson and a good last name Lapierre, but they where the first gay couple in Marvel history, you know, Georges and François.
    I still can't believe Marina's last name was "Smallwood". From a small, outport fishing family no less.

And Canadian army is good in humanitarian cause. Like they are good in helping in natural disaster. Remember the icestorm? or the flood in Saguenay? Or maybe also the flood in Manitoba in 1997.
    True. And they've done a great deal of international aid work as well (particularly the state of the art DART team), not to mention the well-deserved cause as some of the most effective peacekeeping soldiers.

This is also true on the West Coast. BC Hydro (the provinicial power utility) sells electricity into California, among other places. It is probably a measure of how much Hydro-electric power BC produces that the utility is known as "Hydro" in common conversation.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Default Re: Canada's RESOURCES?

Quote Originally Posted by Oeming
    IF Canada were to drop off the face of the earth, how would it effect the rest of the world?
    1. What, exactly, do you have planned for this series?

2. I believe the word you're looking for is 'affect'; to effect means to cause. I honestly don't know how Canada dropping off Earth would cause the rest of the world...? :P

- Le Messor
    "American life is a powerful solvent. It seems to neutralize every intellectual element, however tough and alien it may be, and to fuse it in the native good will, complacency, thoughtlessness, and optimism."
    - George Santayana, Character and Opinion in the US, 1920

This is a fascinating topic for me, seeing as to how im living all the way on the other side of the world. The Philippines gets a lot of American media but not a lot of Canadian media, so i have a pretty good idea of how an "average" American lives, but i confess i dont really know much about "average" Canadians.

Do people like living in cities or in small towns?
    Do you really get free medical treatment?
    How about schools? Are there private schools as well?
    Are there street gangs in Canadian cities?
    Where do people go when they go on vacation?
    Does Canada have a Hollywood? A Beverlly Hills?
    Does everyoe know how to play Hockey?

In Manila, most people like to live in the city, we have local actors but most of the new ones are pretty faces with no talent, getting sick is ridiculously expensive, adventure vacations like scuba diving and trekking are very "in", and theres a basketball hoop in every other corner.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbloo
    1. Do people like living in cities or in small towns?
    2. Do you really get free medical treatment?
    3. How about schools? Are there private schools as well?
    4. Are there street gangs in Canadian cities?
    5. Where do people go when they go on vacation?
    6. Does Canada have a Hollywood? A Beverlly Hills?
    7. Does everyoe know how to play Hockey?
    Hey Bloo, I'll answer yer questions from personal perspective.

1. I perefer living in rurral areas, or out in the middle of the country. Currently I live in a small city, but that's for conveniance with my wife in university.

2. We have medicare, that covers the basics, but has lots of problems with it that need fixing

3. There are private schools, again in the bigger cities

4. No gangs in my area, but they do exist in bigger cities.

5. PEI is actuall a popular tourist destination. The village I run the bar in is a tourist community

6. The closest to Hollywood is Vancouver, where a lot of US companies are doing filming now, as it's cheaper.

7. I don't like hockey...but I did play on my parents' pond with my brother when we were kids.

Ben

[...]but i confess i dont really know much about "average" Canadians.
    I want to play too, but I'm afraid I'm going to offend some people. Can I just say like Ben, It's from my perspective and I don't represent any agency, gouverment, politic party or anything else than myself?

I just think that even in Canada, we don't know what is an "average" canadian. I mean, you all know I'm from Québec and many of our cultural references comes from tv. I've got a lot of ideas about americans, but what about Canada? I don't know.

Sometimes I feel canadian but mostly not because of the cultural aspect. My definition of a Canadian is someone living in an anglophone majority watching a lot of american tv and hockey.

What people say here about canadian culture usually don't apply in my province. Blue Rodeo? What is that? Dan Aykroyd is not an american? I did not know. Don Cherry? You mean the B***** that saying bad thing about us, That %?%#&(&$@(&)#$!$. Rick Mercer? I'm supposed to know that name? and I can go on.

Do people like living in cities or in small towns? Depends, I like medium ones. I would go back in Québec city anytimes.

Do you really get free medical treatment? Yes if you don't count the taxes I'm paying. I got to pay for the dentist, optometrist and chiro and those kind of stuff. I can see my doctor free but it can take a lot of time to get a rendez-vous. And if it's urgent, you can wait for many hours before seeing a doctor.

How about schools? Are there private schools as well? Yes, in cities. But they are not run by nuns :P

Are there street gangs in Canadian cities? Yes, ontv, Zone libre suppose to show a documentary about that very soon and say how much more violent they are in Montreal compare to what we think.

Where do people go when they go on vacation? Florida? Except from Florida, many goes in winter in those south locations Ă* la Club Med, in Cuba, Mexico, Dominican republics. In summers, many stay to visit other part of the province like GaspĂ©sie. Or goes in Europe, of course France is a commun location for many. Me, this year I went camping in a provincial parc near Quebec city. And next year, I would like to see the maritimes, mostly I must admit the aciadians, since I don't know much about them.

Does Canada have a Hollywood? A Beverlly Hills? Very rich places? yes, but not like in the US. In Montreal, it's Outremont and West Mount.

Does everyoe know how to play Hockey? I guess a little bit. I was never told the full rules, but I pretty well know how to play. I just skate very badly, I almost did not where any skates since grade 6 in primary school.
    -Obélix

Y'know, Bloo... combined with Ben's response, you've got a pretty brilliant idea. A little snapshot of people's personal view of Canada.

This is a fascinating topic for me, seeing as to how im living all the way on the other side of the world. The Philippines gets a lot of American media but not a lot of Canadian media, so i have a pretty good idea of how an "average" American lives, but i confess i dont really know much about "average" Canadians.
    It's funny, but most Americans don't know jack about us, either... but we tend to know an awful lot about their country. Comparatively speaking, that is.

Do people like living in cities or in small towns?

Something like 80% or 85% of Canada's population lives near the border to the US, and the concentration of urban centres has grown remarkably in the last 100+ years.

Personally, I prefer small town life. My mother comes from a small fishing village in Newfoundland that has less than 400 people. I spent my summers there as a kid, and it still feels like home to me. Living among a region of a half million people in Ontario never quite sits right with me, though living on an Ojibwa rez up on the Manitoba border felt a little more natural.

Do you really get free medical treatment?

Depends on the treatment in question. The list of services can be kind of complex at times, but the basic version is that we generally don't worry about hospital bills. You might have to wait longer for complex problems like hip replacement -- which is a terrible thing for the people who are suffering -- but on the flipside, if unexpected illness or accident afflicts your family, you don't have to worry about hospitalization destroying your finances entirely and driving your family into poverty. Or about insurance companies bilking you after the fact.

Part of the problem with such a system is, of course, that some people abuse the Hell out of it. There are a number of cases of fraud each year where Canadian citizens will give their Health cards to American relatives and get them free (expensive) treatments. Or simple cases of idiots coming into emergency rooms with a head cold or flu, instead of simply taking the proper medication and getting rest. A thousand little abuses drive the cost of our system through the roof, and are a contributing factor (among others) to putting it at risk.

How about schools? Are there private schools as well?

There are. But the public school system is alive and well, and provides an excellent standard of education.

Are there street gangs in Canadian cities?

Yep. Not nearly the problem they are in the USA, though. For contrast: in 2004 there were 60 gun-related deaths in Toronto. The greater percentage of these were young black men, and most of the shootings were gang-related. People were freaking out, living in fear of the rise of gun violence in gangs, etc. This peaked with a very public shoot-out between gang members on Boxing Day (that's right, the day after Christmas), in one of the busier shopping districts. A 15 year-old girl was caught in the crossfire and killed.

For that same year in Chicago (a similarly-sized city), there were over 600.

Last year in Toronto the number of shootings increased by roughly a dozen. This caused even more freaking out. Now community groups are rising up to combat the gangs on a basic level; getting to the kids before the gangs can recruit them, and programming them to look toward more positive options. There's also far less tolerance of gang culture in low income neighbourhoods. Incidents of gun crime have fallen once again, but whether this is coincidence or due to the success of social programs remains to be seen.

Where do people go when they go on vacation?

We live in a huge nation that contains everything from rainforests to arctic tundra, mountains, oceans and vast wilderness regions, cosmopolitan urban centres, to quaint bed and breakfasts nestled in any one of a number of countless cultural areas. Many people vacation at home. You could spend a lifetime exploring this nation and still not see all the facets of it.

We're also a nation of immigrants: people from all over the globe live here. (I was taught to fight by a Fillipino by the surname of Bueno) Lots of people return to their nations of origion for vacation. Some travel abroad and see Europe, the Carribean, or the USA (I've been as far west as Montana and as far south as Florida and Tennesee).

Does Canada have a Hollywood? A Beverlly Hills?

No Beverly Hills, but Toronto has had so many movies shot there that it's become known as "Hollywood North". Because our dollar was lower, many American film companies started shooting up here. The X-Men movie, for example, had large chunks of it shot in Toronto. The interior of the X-Mansion is Castle Loma.

Vancouver is also a very popular filming location, and has been since the 90's. They're now either rivalling or equal to Toronto in production, I think.

Does everyoe know how to play Hockey?

No, but many do.

Hockey's almost a religion up here -- or was for the longest time. The comercialization of the NHL has reduced this greatly. Where before the teams were almost like regional representatives, champions of an area, now the game is very much a business and people seem much less inspired by it. That said, the television program "Hockey Night in Canada" is still the most widely watched in the nation, and when the national team plays in the Olympics it manages to surpass even that.

My father and uncle were supposed to go to NHL training camps when they were young, but my grandfather put the nix on it. NHL players weren't nearly so well paid in the 1960's, and they were made to get "real jobs". Needless to say, I learned to play hockey as a kid. With some unrealistic expectations.

What people say here about canadian culture usually don't apply in my province. Blue Rodeo? What is that?
    A country/rock band that bores me to tears. You're not missing much. I preferred Mitsou Gelinas. At least she was easier on the eyes. Much, much easier.

Dan Aykroyd is not an american? I did not know.
    And Jim Carey, Lorne Green, Alanis Morisette... and Celine Dion. Many, many others, of course. But yes, there's a disconnect in pop culture.

Don Cherry? You mean the B***** that saying bad thing about us, That %?%#&(&$@(&)#$!$.
    And he's always catching Hell for that, too.

Rick Mercer? I'm supposed to know that name? and I can go on.
    And there's where we start tripping over the lines of the bone that the two of us usually end up gnawing on. Mercer's a Newfoundlander. He comes from a culture that's different from that of urban Ontario, rural Alberta, etc. And I'm going to keep giving you Hell about this "two solitudes" stuff until you stop it. This is a land of a thousand cultures, not two.

Nor is culture limited to pop culture. It would be a damned sad state of being if it were. Think of the elements of Quebec culture that are valued most: concepts like public medical care. That didn't originate in Quebec, nor did the system for implementing it. You can thank Tommy Douglas for that one: boxer turned Baptist minister turned politician, hailing from Saskatchewan. The Quebec medical system is currently funded in part by contributions from other regions in the country.

This is a period of redefinition. Clinging to divisive moorings is counter-productive. The worst part is that such sentiment is usually utter BS drummed up by opportunistic politicians who use feelings of feeling disenfranchised to create employment for themselves. Klein did the same thing in Alberta, often creating strawment fights with the national government -- conflicts which really didn't exist, but by starting the controversy he guaranteed his popularity with Albertans who felt trod upon by the NEP in the 80's.

You're not missing much. I preferred Mitsou Gelinas. At least she was easier on the eyes. Much, much easier.
    Ah, Mitsou is a good example of what an Aurora should be. Sexy, like her body and to show it, but got brain. Mitsou runs her own company, works in radio and with a magasine"Clin d'oeil" I think. She also comes from a very famous family. Her grandfather is a famous playwriter, his Play "Ti-Coq" Almost or did Broadway? anyway, she's not a tart, so she's not only easier on the eyes.

And Jim Carey, Lorne Green, Alanis Morisette... and Celine Dion. Many, many others, of course. But yes, there's a disconnect in pop culture.
    Who is Lorne Green? I'm not sure I understand the disconnect in pop culture comment. I was just saying, unless told, I have no way to know they are canadians and I know of them only because they are on american tv or movies.

Rick Mercer? I'm supposed to know that name? and I can go on.
    And there's where we start tripping over the lines of the bone that the two of us usually end up gnawing on. Mercer's a Newfoundlander. He comes from a culture that's different from that of urban Ontario, rural Alberta, etc. And I'm going to keep giving you Hell about this "two solitudes" stuff until you stop it. This is a land of a thousand cultures, not two.
    ??? We are at it again! I never said there was 2 solitudes, I agree there are more in that way, don't forget native and I mean all of them. All, I was saying is that Rick Mercer is probably known all across Canada because the CBC is showning him all across Canada. TV is the medium to reach the most people. I just don't have the cable and I've got 4 channels in french and 2 in english. And I don't watch the english ones. And I'm not the only ones. So all the Mercer and company, unless they are translated in french, I don't see. Ok, I admit I watch it sometimes for Chilly Beach which I find interesting because it was so totally Canadian and I liked the unique look in it. But then again I could not identify with Jacques since he's accent is all wrong

Nor is culture limited to pop culture. It would be a damned sad state of being if it were. Think of the elements of Quebec culture that are valued most: concepts like public medical care. That didn't originate in Quebec, nor did the system for implementing it. You can thank Tommy Douglas for that one: boxer turned Baptist minister turned politician, hailing from Saskatchewan. The Quebec medical system is currently funded in part by contributions from other regions in the country.
    I agree on this, but at the same time a lot of Canadians have a lot in common with their american neibor and have taken the same principale. But you are right in this point as is the role of peacekeepers for the army is what we like about it.

What makes a nation glue together and feel it's a part of that nation? I still don't really know. I'm talking about feeling, not if it's right or wrong or if it's true or not. Just feeling. If my pop culture in unknown in the rest of Canada what does it say about the rest? I wonder, and I think again, if we are to continue this subject it should be outside the forum not to bored everyone with it.

This is a period of redefinition. Clinging to divisive moorings is counter-productive. The worst part is that such sentiment is usually utter BS drummed up by opportunistic politicians who use feelings of feeling disenfranchised to create employment for themselves. Klein did the same thing in Alberta, often creating strawment fights with the national government -- conflicts which really didn't exist, but by starting the controversy he guaranteed his popularity with Albertans who felt trod upon by the NEP in the 80's.
    NEP? sorry I don't usually have the same acronysm than you, so, I can easily lost you on that.
    -Obélix

Ah, Mitsou is a good example of what an Aurora should be. Sexy, like her body and to show it, but got brain. Mitsou runs her own company, works in radio and with a magasine"Clin d'oeil" I think. She also comes from a very famous family. Her grandfather is a famous playwriter, his Play "Ti-Coq" Almost or did Broadway? anyway, she's not a tart, so she's not only easier on the eyes.
    Oh my god, is her grandfather Gratien Gelinas? We read Bousille et les Justes in class a couple years ago and I liked it enough to get a friend of mine to buy me a copy when she took a trip to Quebec. Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by MistressMerr
    Oh my god, is her grandfather Gratien Gelinas? We read Bousille et les Justes in class a couple years ago and I liked it enough to get a friend of mine to buy me a copy when she took a trip to Quebec. Good stuff.
    Yes, that's him. And Mitsou sister Abeille (yeah strange names) did some years as a vj at Musique Plus some years ago. I don't know what she's doing now.
    -Obélix

Agreed! She was my inspiration when thinking about that character.

Musically, though, I can't say that I'm grabbed by either her or Blue Rodeo. That's why I made the "easier on the eyes" comment. The sound just didn't do it for me. I've found her show for CBC, Au Courant, to be very informative. I watched it fairly regularly before Degrassi chewed me up and spat me out.

Who is Lorne Green? I'm not sure I understand the disconnect in pop culture comment. I was just saying, unless told, I have no way to know they are canadians and I know of them only because they are on american tv or movies.
    Lorne Greene is probably most famous for his role in Bonanza, though his time on Battlestar Galactica seems widely-remembered. He started out on CBC radio in WWII. His voice was very deep and very authoritative, and so he became known as "the Voice of Doom" before moving south to make it big in Hollywood.

Your comment about only knowing that they're not American being if you're told that... well, that pretty much holds true of any celebrity. Their state of being is not impacted by your not knowing... if that makes any sense.

The comment about disconnect of Pop Culture is a specific reference: there's a gap in the perception of elements of pop culture. That which is modern, current, and transient doesn't carry over well between the cultures in Canada because of various language barriers -- though this is noticeably less with most cultural groups, as they maintain two languages. It still exists, however.

Pop culture is not the be-all and end-all of our society or our national identity, however. And thank goodness for that. The deeper roots of who we are as a nation tends to be uniform -- with an accent on "tends to be". There are, of course, differences. The political gulf between Alberta and Quebec is remarkably vast, for example... which is, I suppose, why watching the Seperatists work hand-in-hand with Harper's inner circle blows my mind. They really couldn't be farther apart in their beliefs, save perhaps in the desire to decentralize the power of national government to the point of ineffectuality. (But this doesn't quite hold true when Harper himself is in power, of course)

??? We are at it again!
    It's ON, girlfriend!

I never said there was 2 solitudes, I agree there are more in that way, don't forget native and I mean all of them.
    Can't forget 'em. I lived on a rez and have the scars to remember it by. Horrid place, lovely land. And no, you didn't refer to the Two Solitudes specifically in this case, but you once again fell back on defining things as "English speaking Canada" thinking one thing, and Quebec thinking another -- a binary worldview. One and zero. Two solitudes in all but name.

My point is that it does no good to avoid the term unless you avoid the pattern of thought and/or communication. To claim that all of English-speaking Canada holds a singular opinion on any matter is a grotesque over-simplification. As you point out, there are many native groups to consider, the village-minded approach of Newfoundlanders, the progressive thought of BC, the very neo-conservative flavour of certain factions in Alberta, the mix of socialism and conservatism in Saskatchewan... and even those are simplifications. Even in your own province; it can't be denied that the political atmosphere of Montreal is at all similar to northern Quebec, where the Seperatists hold strongest sway (if I recall correctly).

All, I was saying is that Rick Mercer is probably known all across Canada because the CBC is showning him all across Canada. TV is the medium to reach the most people. I just don't have the cable and I've got 4 channels in french and 2 in english. And I don't watch the english ones. And I'm not the only ones. So all the Mercer and company, unless they are translated in french, I don't see. Ok, I admit I watch it sometimes for Chilly Beach which I find interesting because it was so totally Canadian and I liked the unique look in it. But then again I could not identify with Jacques since he's accent is all wrong
    I certainly don't watch French-speaking CBC -- I wouldn't understand enough to make it worth my while (which bugs me). But I do try to keep up on news pertaining to Quebec as much as I do any other province. To have a sense of the national scene requires an effort in that direction. So long as someone chooses to think regionally, they'll remain on that track. An overall view of the nation will never develop for those who don't seek it, and that holds true whether they live in Quebec, the Yukon, or Nova Scotia.

What makes a nation glue together and feel it's a part of that nation? I still don't really know. I'm talking about feeling, not if it's right or wrong or if it's true or not. Just feeling. If my pop culture in unknown in the rest of Canada what does it say about the rest? I wonder, and I think again, if we are to continue this subject it should be outside the forum not to bored everyone with it.
    The feeling is valid, but it's important to understand that it's one based on the choice of isolation, and that you're not alone in chosing that isolation. The same thing occurs in other provinces. Alberta's been the most notorious over the last two to three years, I'd say -- chiefly because of certain political currents informing the flow of information rather than the other way around (both inside Alberta and out).

As for questioning what it means when one's perception of modern culture is unknown to another demographic -- that's a good one. It's also a widespread one, though rarely framed in that way. But it's a problem that spans not only the many, many other cultural groups in the nation, but traditionally divides age groups as well. Let's face it: pop culture always has been, and always will be, somewhat divisive because of its transitory nature. To see what makes the foundation of what we are, we need to look at more enduring trends.

NEP? sorry I don't usually have the same acronysm than you, so, I can easily lost you on that.
    National Energy Program -- a very controversial program introduced under Trudeau's government that held oil prices for Canadians down at a level that kept our economy cruising along. The popular (though not entirely correct) perception is that the government interfering cost Alberta a great deal of prosperity, and sent them into a financial tailspin from which they've only just recovered.

The truth is that the financial issues were much bigger and more complex than the NEP, and though it may have been instituted in an unpalatable manner, its contribution to such problems is highly debateable. Its positive effect on keeping the rest of the nation out of an abysmal recession, however, is tangible. The program has made for an easy target for Alberta politicians looking to further their careers by picking fights with the federal government because they can always just point at the pain in the ass that was the NEP and scream "remember what they did to us!".

What such politicians fail to mention is that it was the Federal government, under Trudeau's guidance, that pushed heavily for the development of the oil sands, and put up millions upon millions of dollars (in the late 1960's, when a million dollars was an obscene amount of money) to help that province launch the development of the oil fields that are now responsible for it's remarkable prosperity.

So long as we, as citizens, lack scope and focus in our perception of national issues, we serve as tools for the politicians -- rather than the politicians serving us.

And yes, we're probably going to bore people to death again. On the other hand, I think these discussions of ours provide a pretty distinct view of our nation for curious readers from outside.