Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Canada's RESOURCES?

The Alberta Tar Sands are a huge oil reserve.
    W00t, representing. I honestly don't know much about the other resources of Canada because here it's just oil, oil, oil. Everything in this damn city revolves around oil.

Quote Originally Posted by syvalois
    You should not have said that! I've got lots and lots of complaint about how Quebeckers have been shown...
    Sorry! But I just had to get that off my chest. No matter how good a story is I could not stand another "hey, eh?".

I do know what you're saying about the Quebec representers though. As for Aurora's behavior I just see that as an extreme of one personality compaired to the other nun-like Jeanne-Marie. At least they didn't have every women from the province a, um, "social butterfly". Though I would very much like to have her split personality cured and be the strong, centered, well rounded woman like Rogue is portrayed. She sould be a roll model to Quebec girls, not what she's been portrayed as so far. Outside of that, yeah it's tough for anyone outside of Quebec to get the culture right, let alone anyone outside the country.

I just figured maybe the name "Baubier" could be easily answered by, what if his dad wasn't from Quebec but mother was. Maybe he was a Beaubier from out west, married a Quebec girl. She kept her name but the children took the father's.

How about you give some examples of how you'd like the accent spelled out? So you'll get no more of the "Ziss eez your Brozere, non?". I've been in Moncton for so long, I'm so used to the Shiac. Around here if a French person is talking completely english it sounds more like:

"I bought t'ree bag but d'ey onlyy charge me for da one." (yy = long e).

That's how my dad talks and he's from Caraquet. I assume the Quebec accent is different, but nothing like Murmur's.

Oeming what have you gotten yourself into!? lol j/k

Hello all. Long time lurker, first time poster. Love the website by the way.

I just wanted to add that I think it would be great if a comic based in Canada depicted how culturally diverse we are as a country as well. I believe there was a stat that stated that 49% of the people in the GTA (greater Toronto area) are immigrants.

That is one of the things I like most about Alpha Flight was how diverse they were. You had Puck (dwarf), Roger Bochs (crippled), Northstar (gay), Marina (alien), Snowbird (goddess), Shaman & Talisman (native) and later led by a female leader. Plus, the members were from all across our great country.

Many before me have pointed out many of Canada's vast number of resources but I thought I might also add that many movies and television shows are filmed up here. The lower production costs and tax breaks have created a "Hollywood North" if you will. Most things seem to be filmed in Vancouver and Toronto.

Here is a link to a list of films filmed in the Toronto area;
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~jerik/films/top.htm

Also, a list of famous Canadians
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famous_Canadians

Not that this is a big deal but it would add a little extra to the book if you took note of how Canadians spell certain words differently than our American neighbours. Words such as favour, honour, centre etc.

Not sure if it would ever come up in the comic but here in Canada we have one and two dollar coins. The $1 is called "The Looney" and the $2 is called "The Tooney". If someone should ask you for 2 dollars say, its not uncommon for them to ask you for a tooney for example. "You got a tooney on you?"

Umm, thats all I have off the top of my head. While the new book is a drastic change from the Alpha Flight I grew up with, I am looking forward to and plan to give it a chance.

Oh! By the way, there are Canadians who could and would take exception to American heroes running from/leaving the States and asking asylum here then representing us while still flying overt symbolism of the country they left (The Captain America character wearing the stars and stripes while now representing Canada). Seems a little hypocritical.

Quote Originally Posted by Canucklehead

As for Aurora's behavior I just see that as an extreme of one personality compaired to the other nun-like Jeanne-Marie. At least they didn't have every women from the province a, um, "social butterfly".
    I did not mind the original Aurora. I started disliking her when she gain the yellow costume, for me, it was a 3rd personality. It did not had the nuance and intelligence the original Aurora had. Ok, if you count Jeanne-Marie(and not Jean-Marie, because that's a men's name) and Aurora as 2 women, not all where social butterfly.

Though I would very much like to have her split personality cured and be the strong, centered, well rounded woman like Rogue is portrayed.
    I would also like to be strong, well centered and rounded woman Lol, actually I like Aurora as this crazy person, that's what makes her special. I don't really want a role model, I want an interesting character that do not goes on stereotype, borderline offensive personalities. There is a lot to be explored with that original split personality.

Outside of that, yeah it's tough for anyone outside of Quebec to get the culture right, let alone anyone outside the country.
    totally, I would not known how to write characters outside Québec, and I'm totally lost if they come from the west. But OF don't seems to have any Quebecers in th eserie yet, so, he can worry later for that.

I just figured maybe the name "Baubier" could be easily answered by, what if his dad wasn't from Quebec but mother was. Maybe he was a Beaubier from out west, married a Quebec girl. She kept her name but the children took the father's.
    Of course she kept her name, women don't take their husband name here(for the last 30 years at least). But I just don't mind, Beaubier is just fine, sound good enough. Let just say he was the only Beaubier in Québec. The name don't have to be characteristically Quebecer all the time (once in a while would be fun tho). I would like to have a ferguson coming from Québec and could not speak a word of english, I knew Ferguson's like that.

How about you give some examples of how you'd like the accent spelled out? So you'll get no more of the "Ziss eez your Brozere, non?".
    More like Gambit. As giving some exemple, it would be best that an anglophone that can hear the difference would write it. My phonetics is french so I may write something wrong, but the basic stuff is replace the th with a "d", forget or place at the wrong place the "h" like in "How", don't use too complicated words, make grammatical errors, Stuff like 'Northstar and earth" is very hard to say for me. Anyway, listen to CĂ©line Dion, or an hockey players, you will get the idea!

That's how my dad talks and he's from Caraquet. I assume the Quebec accent is different, but nothing like Murmur's.
    Considering she grew up in Ontario, that accent was even more impossible. Murmur is another nutcase there.

Personnal question here, is there a difference between a shiak and a acadian? I've met some acadian, and I can understand them perfectly well, but my dad told me some are very hard to understand because they are mixing up so much english and french word in the same sentence, it's like another language.

Oeming what have you gotten yourself into!? lol
    yup, he's in big trouble![/quote]
    Quand l'appétit va, tout va!
    -Obélix

Personnal question here, is there a difference between a shiak and a acadian? I've met some acadian, and I can understand them perfectly well, but my dad told me some are very hard to understand because they are mixing up so much english and french word in the same sentence, it's like another language.
    Shiak is all the craze with the young kids in Shediac and Moncton because the cities are biligual, whereas most of the Acadian settlements are 100% french. They'll hav a different accent depending on where they are. Shiak on the other hand is neither french or English. Ex:

J'allez Ă* la store and j'ai buyer des chips. Mes Chums a suppĂ©-up ma Civic. J'ai watchĂ© la Seinfeld pui doĂ©ing mes excercise, d'ere. A tu hearĂ© from Michel?

You can understand it from any language which is nice, but other then that it's so hick.

Shiak is all the craze with the young kids in Shediac and Moncton because the cities are biligual, whereas most of the Acadian settlements are 100% french. They'll hav a different accent depending on where they are. Shiak on the other hand is neither french or English. Ex:

J'allez Ă* la store and j'ai buyer des chips. Mes Chums a suppĂ©-up ma Civic. J'ai watchĂ© la Seinfeld pui doĂ©ing mes excercise, d'ere. A tu hearĂ© from Michel?
    Thank you ! And that sentence is priceless. I just can't understand what his friends did to his civic. I mean, I'm reading it ok, but gearing it, must take a while to pick up everything. Everything is so mixed up. Cool.
    -Obélix

Thank you ! And that sentence is priceless. I just can't understand what his friends did to his civic. I mean, I'm reading it ok, but gearing it, must take a while to pick up everything. Everything is so mixed up. Cool.
    Haha suppé-up a Civic is pretty much putting a NOS sticker or "Civic Racing" sticker on the side window to make them look "cool". It's so bad. Everyone who has a Honda Civic in this city speaks Shiak and is named Jean-Guy.

Avec ma soeur dans la front seat, mes chums will t'ink I am da hot stuff.

Then they drive up and down Main Street all night.

Hello / Bonjour all,

long, long time lurker, first time poster, as this thread is of particular interest to me!

To answer Mr. Oeming's question regarding Canada's resources, here are a few points:

1) Exports:
    One thing to take into account is that the USA remain Canada's first commercial partner. Over 80% of Canada's exports go to the USA - and I cannot remember that %age of US exports going to Canada, but they are very important (Canada is the first export market for the USA if memory serves).
    Millions of $ of goods cross the border daily, in both directions. Most northern US states depend heavily on Canada for their economy.
    This is currently a hot topic due to President Bush's administration having raised the potential issue of requiring Canadians to have a passport to enter the USA - increasing time to cross the border, slowing down business and increasing costs for companies. Both Northern US stats and Canadian federal/provincial authorities are doing all they can so this resolution does not materialize.

2) Production:

Canada was, for the longest time, a resource based economy. We still heavily export these resources, as many have pointed out: pulp, paper, minerals, hydro-electricty, water, oil, etc.
    For instance, the whole city of New-York obtains most of its electricity from Québec (and to a lesser extent Ontario).
    By the way, Sylvalois, "bois d'oeuvre" en anglais, c'est "softwood lumber".
    However Canada has diversified its economy, and is now a leader in many other fields. Among others, planes/aeronautics (I think Bombardier was mentionned); pharmaceuticals; clothing and consumer goods (though this industry is not doing that well); services; etc...
    Overall, the service portion of the Canadian economy is getting increasinly larger as years go by.

3) Foreign relations:
    For over 40 years, Canada has played a role as a mediator on the international scene, helping NATO and the United Nations. Canada's been very active in peacekeeping and trying to harmonize relationships between countries.
    We've been trying to act as a bridge between the USA and Europe, especially the UK and France, for obvious historical and cultural reasons.
    Though we do not donate as much as we could (only 0.8% of GDP), Canada is very active on the international development scene, especially in Africa.
    Note that the neutral / peacekeeping stand has changed drastically in the past months with our current federal government's stand on the Israel / Lebanon crisis, as has been mentionned by other posters.

OUF, what a long e-mail...sorry for the lecture, I hope it was not too tedious and can be useful

ps: l loved the shiac examples above, keep them coming!

Haha suppé-up a Civic is pretty much putting a NOS sticker or "Civic Racing" sticker on the side window to make them look "cool". It's so bad. Everyone who has a Honda Civic in this city speaks Shiak and is named Jean-Guy.
    Jean-Guy is such an old name for me. More a 60 something man. And do they drive avec des Ginette ?

Avec ma soeur dans la front seat, mes chums will t'ink I am da hot stuff.

Then they drive up and down Main Street all night.
    Lol, ok, they need a better hobby. It's like those people that drive with the radio "full pine" and think they are cool. All I can think is that they are going to be deaf at 30.
    -Obélix

Bienvenue/welcome Monsieur Taffy,

Quote Originally Posted by MonsieurTaffy

1) Exports:
    One thing to take into account is that the USA remain Canada's first commercial partner. Over 80% of Canada's exports go to the USA - and I cannot remember that %age of US exports going to Canada, but they are very important (Canada is the first export market for the USA if memory serves).
    I remember some years back, my "carte du monde"(world map) teacher said the problem with Canada is that they only have 1 neigbor(sp?) and it's the US. If Alaska had stay russian the Ă©conomical and political relation between the US and Canada would have changed greatly since Russian would have made a counterbalance of some sort.

8 years ago, 70% to 75% US exports going to Canada, said my notes.

2) Production:

For instance, the whole city of New-York obtains most of its electricity from Québec (and to a lesser extent Ontario).
    And something I've heard too about Hydro-Québec. Because they can easily shut down the turbine and stop production. They buy the exceeding electricity production at night from the US and sell them electricity for twice the price or something like that at pick hours. It seems US electricity is mostly made from coal and can't be easily shut down.

By the way, Sylvalois, "bois d'oeuvre" en anglais, c'est "softwood lumber".
    thanks, it's one of those words my brain have an hard time remembering

OUF, what a long e-mail...sorry for the lecture, I hope it was not too tedious and can be useful
    Not for me, I like those facts.
    -Obélix

Here's a link to the page on Canada in the World Factbook site run by the CIA:

https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications...k/geos/ca.html

Lol, ok, they need a better hobby.
    I'm tellin ya, they are one of the major reasons I moved to BC and the major question I ask "Why did I move back again?". Ever since Fast and the Furious came out, everyone with a Civic thinks they're cool. They see people smilling and pointing at them as they rev their engine, they think they are "the bomb". What they don't realize is, is that everyone is pointing and laughing at them.

Quote Originally Posted by MonsieurTaffy
    ps: l loved the shiac examples above, keep them coming!
    haha I used all the best ones already but I'll leave you with my favorite, everyday, shiac quote:

Qu'es ce que ta do-ING!?

From the Concise edition of The Economist's World in Figures 2006:
    population: 31.5 million, world ranking #36, not on either top-20 list of fastest or slowest growing population
    #34 in lowest fertility rate
    #25 for highest median age
    #6 for foreign asylum applications
    #8 for largest economy, #11 by economy of purchasing power
    #20 highest GDP per head
    #4 in "quality of life" human development index
    #16 economic freedom index
    #4 "gender related development"
    #9 biggest exporter & biggest visible trader, #11 "invisible trader"
    makes neither list for highest or lowest trade dependency
    #12 largest surplus
    did not make list of top 40 highest deficits
    surplus % of GDP #49
    #37 lowest inflation 2004
    #6 producer of energy
    #8 largest consumer of oil equivalent, #7 use per person
    #5 in global competitiveness
    #17 in patent applications and R&D expenditure
    #20 in foreign direct investment
    #12 in corruption perception index
    #8 life expectancy (80.7) male #9 @ 70, female #11 @ 83

The reference also has disease statistics, consumer goods ownership, media habits, substance use, crime & environment, and (I assume) that the non-concise edition would have tons more. The 2007 edition goes on sale this month (according to the blurb in the back.)

Hope that helps
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

I know when the terrorists planned on attacking Canada, they were focusing on their financial districts, right?
    Toronto's downtown core is basically the hot target for terrorist and supervillian alike. The skyline stealing CN Tower and Skydome are iconic and obvious targets, but most of the Canadian banks are centered in peripheral skyscrapers. My mother actually works for TD Canada Trust, a leading Canadian bank, and has had her building evacuated on more than one occasion since 9/11 due to potential terrorist threats.

In June of this year Canada was the USA's top source for foreign oil. Mexico came in second.

The US Dept. of Energy site says this:

The top sources of US crude oil imports for June were Canada (1.799 million barrels per day)...
    Canada remained the largest exporter of total petroleum products in June, exporting 2.258 million barrels per day to the United States.
    Canada *matters*