Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Canada's RESOURCES?

Default Canada's RESOURCES?

Posted this at my board as well, but want to continue to participate here-
    Any thoughts?

Okay, to better understand things, what is Canada's financial situation like? How does their economy effect the rest of the world? I know when the terrorists planned on attacking Canada, they were focusing on their financial districts, right?

What about Oil? Food? Imports?

IF Canada were to drop off the face of the earth, how would it effect the rest of the world?

Hello there,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Canada

Might be a good reference point, assuming you haven't seen it already. I think one of the most important things that would be noticed where Canada to dissappear is all the energy that Canada exports, including oil and hydro-electric energy. British Columbia exports electricity to Califonia, for example.

The Alberta Tar Sands are a huge oil reserve. I seem to recall reading that Canada is the largest foreign supplier of oil to the USA, but I would have to find a source for that.

Food wise, Canada is a huge producer of food, especially wheat.

Default Re: Canada's RESOURCES?

Wow, I did not expected that kind of question for OF. Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Oeming
    Okay, to better understand things, what is Canada's financial situation like?
    I'm no expert and finance is not my cup of tea, but juging by what I see, spending more than it got.

How does their economy effect the rest of the world? I know when the terrorists planned on attacking Canada, they were focusing on their financial districts, right?
    Terrorists tried to attacked our financial district? The only terrorist group I can remember of, was the one dismantle not too long ago by the RCMP and the report where saying the group where mostly aiming to kill the prime minister in Ottawa (I think). So report where saying this group was mostly made of young canadian/muslim men not related to Al-Qaida.

I don't know how our economy affect the rest of the world, but our external politic sure does. Like the last declaration from Harper sure made us a lot more a target to terrorism than we where before. Our somewhat neutral view help a lot in the diplomatic world and that maybe lost because of Harper decision to side with the US and Israel over the Libanese(?) conflict.(insert, my and many I know point of view).

What about Oil? Food? Imports?
    I had worked of an oil services company and canada was a testing ground for new product because it got all kind of environment and I mean extreme environment. I was in Russia and we had the work clothing coming from Canada.

Hydro-Electricity is huge in Québec (and Manitoba I think) anyway and we provide a lot to the US. I just when to see am hydro-Québec facility and they said that the exportation represent only 4% of their production, but 32% of their income (more or less).

Let not forget in west africa many pilote take their course here. In the oil industries there was a canadian helicopter company running there.

And lets not forget wood and paper. Like all the Marvel comics(I think it's still true) are printed in Canada. Remember the conflict between the US for wood? (Bois d'oeuvre in french, but I have no clue in english).

I also know that canadians geologist are known for their quality and are looked for their expertise like the Australians are too.

What about in aeronautics? Are we a big players worldwide with Bombardier?

IF Canada were to drop off the face of the earth, how would it effect the rest of the world?
    In general Canada is not a major player like the US or France. I think the world would lost a good mediator.[/quote]
    Quand l'appétit va, tout va!
    -Obélix

Thanks guys, this stuff is a big help. I have the usual Wikipedia stuff and all that, but most of my research time is going into the book and characters, so I figured i'll just come right out and ask the Canada stuff, so I can get it as close as I can.

I also think Americans (such as myself) dont realise the important role Canada plays in the world and especially directly to us.

I only learned last you that you guys marched down to washington and burned our captiol down at one point, you crazy bastards you can bet thats going to come up a few times
    READ POWERS DAILY FOR FREE!
    http://comics.newsarama.com/powers/

Hi Mr. Oeming,

I'm extremely happy you're doing your research of our country! I just thought I could take this opportunity let you know about a couple things that kinda bugged me from previous writers.

A) the word "hoser" is not used today and was never suposed to leave the 70s

B) If the "eh" thing must come up, it's mostly used by the older generation and also that there are times when it is appropriate and times when it is not. The "eh" is basically just a way of asking a question. You can say "Are you going to the mall?" or "You're going to the mall, aren't you?" Well the "aren't you" can be replaced by an "eh". That also includes "isn't it?".

For example:
    "Hello, eh?" -inappropriate and awkward.
    "Nice day, eh?" -Acceptable, since the "eh" is replacing an "isn't it?"

I hope this helps! I'd rather not see it at all (of course with Puck it was part of his character), but no one seemed to know how to correctly use it since Byrne! So just follow the "isn't it"/"aren't they" formula and you'll have no awkward ehs!

We are a resource based economy. Lots of food comes from here (grains, meat, fish, fruit, vegetables). Oil and coal. Almost 40% of the world's uaranium comes from here. Our banks and stuff are pretty big and secure, I think. Wood is big too.

If Canada fell off the Earth that would remove 32 million consumers for foreign goods, lots of power resources, lots of food resources, and if it happened over 100 years ago that would mean no light bulb, radio, t.v., zippers, variable pitch propeller, and lots more. And peacekeepers, and insulin, hockey, photodynamic anticancer drugs, standard time, heterodyne, snowmobile, electric wheelchair, and lots more still.

North dakota would be flooded.

Good thing our school library is still open.
    Time and Tide, no, wait.
    Go Leafs, Go Stamps, Go Omega Flight!

Don't forget Maple Sirup!!! J Joke aside, I forgot to mention the mining industry. Canada is a leader in copper, and many other minerals.

Quote Originally Posted by RolandT
    We are a resource based economy. Lots of food comes from here (grains, meat, fish, fruit, vegetables). Oil and coal. Almost 40% of the world's uaranium comes from here. Our banks and stuff are pretty big and secure, I think. Wood is big too.

If Canada fell off the Earth that would remove 32 million consumers for foreign goods, lots of power resources, lots of food resources, and if it happened over 100 years ago that would mean no light bulb, radio, t.v., zippers, variable pitch propeller, and lots more. And peacekeepers, and insulin, hockey, photodynamic anticancer drugs, standard time, heterodyne, snowmobile, electric wheelchair, and lots more still.

North dakota would be flooded.

Good thing our school library is still open.
    -Obélix

Quote Originally Posted by Canucklehead
    Hi Mr. Oeming,

I'm extremely happy you're doing your research of our country! I just thought I could take this opportunity let you know about a couple things that kinda bugged me from previous writers.

B) If the "eh" thing must come up, it's mostly used by the older generation and also that there are times when it is appropriate and times when it is not. The "eh" is basically just a way of asking a question. You can say "Are you going to the mall?" or "You're going to the mall, aren't you?" Well the "aren't you" can be replaced by an "eh". That also includes "isn't it?".

For example:

I hope this helps! I'd rather not see it at all (of course with Puck it was part of his character), but no one seemed to know how to correctly use it since Byrne! So just follow the "isn't it"/"aren't they" formula and you'll have no awkward ehs!
    Hah, dont worry about that. But, are there some modern slangs to be tossed about? Im from New Jersey, and while it is a stereotype, I must say
    "Howyou doin?" and "Forget about it" at least 3 times a week, and its not even a joke. Now, I dont say it like Im from the Soprano's, but its part of the local language for sure. That and the F word is both a Verb and a Noun here
    READ POWERS DAILY FOR FREE!
    http://comics.newsarama.com/powers/

mike, why don't you tell joe q you need to do some extensive research and have marvel foot the bill for a coast to coast tour of canada.

and in all honesty, being a native new yorker i never cared that the original series was based out of canada, only that it had great stories with extremely interesting characters.

Hi Mr. Oeming,

For example:

Hah, dont worry about that. But, are there some modern slangs to be tossed about? Im from New Jersey, and while it is a stereotype, I must say
    "Howyou doin?" and "Forget about it" at least 3 times a week, and its not even a joke. Now, I dont say it like Im from the Soprano's, but its part of the local language for sure. That and the F word is both a Verb and a Noun here
    haha nice. Yeah I always wanted a Newfoundlander on the team because of the crazy accent. Think of an irish Boomhower from King of the Hill. I know here in the Maritime Provinces like New Brunswick, next to Maine, in the more rural areas mind you, there's sayings like "How's she bootin' er?" meaning "How's it going?". Now that would be great to see in the book, the problem is that Canada is so big, there's different sayings in every town, and we have many towns. My family on Prince Edward Island says "wha?" instead of "eh?". "Nice day, wha?". But again you'd have to be from the area to understand. I doubt anyone from Ontario would get it. Now I have travelled to BC and back, and the one thing I noticed is a lot of young Canadians use the word "right" as an adverb. "That's right awesome".

Oh and the F word is used quite a bit in some places. Ever hear of the show Trailor Park Boys? Low budget yet HUGE hit across the country. They curse every 2 words and on Canadian TV (after a certain hour) you can say anything (or reveal anything) and not get censored.

There are some things that are "Universally Canadian" like Tim Hortons (Canada's version of Dunkin' Donuts). You say "I'm goin' to Tim's" anywhere in Canada and they know you're getting a coffee. Also can't forget Hockey. Because there's so few Canadian NHL teams, the rivalries are big. Habs fans hate Leafs fans who hate Senator's fans etc.

There's many intriquet things when it comes to Canada that make it unique. Like your predecessor, you can't just add an eh every once and a while to make it feel Canadian. I heard many countries over seas see us as a hipper USA. Gay Marriages, decriminalized Marijuana, younger drinking ages, win the lottery you keep every cent, beautiful women, great beer, the list goes on!

We are the closest to the US then any country in terms of culture, yet so vastly different. The rivalry is still there. Oh and you heard about that burning of the white house did ya?

Well, here's a transitory outsider perspective...

On my drive through Canada (down the AlCan and Yellowhead) I saw a lot. Alberta has a ton of oil, and I didn't see a lot of obvious poverty- which may not signify much, but along the Interstates, you see some real pits.

Also, the uniform fee for all campsites along the road was awesome.

Attitude sorta reminded me of home, and the bilingual requirement definitely gets stricter the farther east you go on the Yellowhead...

Heard that the skyrocketing oil prices worldwide were causing some headaches, and gasoline is actually quite pricey all along the road.

Some small towns like Teslin and Lanigan are having some belt-tightening because of reduced highway traffic to keep local business going.
    "You cannot win, mailman Mike. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

I only learned last you that you guys marched down to washington and burned our captiol down at one point, you crazy bastards you can bet thats going to come up a few times
    You would be surprised how often this comes up between me and my American friends.

MikeM

Quote Originally Posted by Tiberius Bane

You would be surprised how often this comes up between me and my American friends.

MikeM
    Speaking as a Yank- there are times I wish you guys'd just finish the job properly.
    "You cannot win, mailman Mike. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

[quote="Oeming"]
    Hi Mr. Oeming,

You should not have said that! I've got lots and lots of complaint about how Quebeckers have been shown. You all know it too well, I said it to much, but Mr. Oeming, I don't mind too much the french mistakes, but please, oh please, never write that awful accent some writer have given the francophone characters. I mean, I got to suffer the french bimbo Aurora, the french bimbo Murmur, the characters that are transexual because the name do not fit the body gender, the expressions that are not right, the last names that supposed to be french but don't exist, The FLQ that kills more people in 1 comic than it did in it's entire existance, a school run by nuns that is not possible for the time, Aurora that comes from the only imaginary town in all Alpha history,... Yes I can take a lot of those, but pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease, don't write that awful accent.

And if you would like an advise from me, Quebeckers, Acadians, Franco-Ontarians, Franco-Manitobans(sp?), etc. are not french and have not been for a long time. We do have our own culture and stereotype.

p.s. we do say the f word in quebec too, it's not totally seen as swearing since it's in another language and we did a french spin on it and the word as gain another meaning.

For swearing, I recommand Bon cop, bad cop, Patrick Huard explain it better than me. :P
    -Obélix