Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Alpha Flight Villains

The Master is a must, but has to have a great storyline to bring him back to being a real threat. Ruthless. Alpha always needed more powerful villains. No more wax figures or robotic versions of other heroes.

I found a big problem is Flight over the years was that the heroes were so powerful that lazy writers had to get rid of some characters just to be able to give them a challenge. The Baubiers are like having two Rogues on your team. Sas was like the Hulk. Mac and Heather were like 2 Iron Men. Snowbird, semi goddess who could become any animal and had some powerful friends "upstairs". Shaman is like Doc Strange but can also pull anything out of his pouch. Box a huge robot that could become anything and the guy inside is basically a good guy Magneto. Persuasion just had to talk! They had all their bases covered! Try to think of a threat that couldn't be smashed, shot, flew into at his speeds, blinded by light, attached to the ground by vines, dropped a car on or simply told "um, don't do that".

One good thing about having such powerful heroes is that if any of them turned, they'd each be a great villains!

Poor Madison Jefferies has been brainwashed so many times. Just having him on your team is like having Magneto. He can maniuplate Metal, Plastic and Glass. His brother could manipulate human tissue(come on, he blew up. His power was to manipulate tissue, he could pull himself back together, right? :P ). Imagine the Jefferies brother working together. They'd be almost unstoppable. Yes I like Madison but if he's not going to be used as a hero he might as well be used as a villain!

Persuasion can manipulate people's actions with a single word. She was too powerful to be on the team cause she could just say "sleep" and the battle would be over. Imagine a villain using her to his advantage. What if Brass Bishop had her chained like that Dargil (whatever his name was) in V2. Use their friend against them in a powerful way.

Flex. For god's sake he's T-1000 from the Terminator! Completely unstoppable! He can turn into anything. You can shoot his arm and it'll grow back. He could hunt and chase people down and rip through anything in his path.

Witchfire is basically Pheonix meets Scarlet Witch. Nuff said.

You want a worthy team to fight against, look no further then former members. It worked in the original and would be a nice tribute if done correctly.

I have to agree the Master is Alphas main nemesis. I love the idea of combining him with Jefferies. Imagine a brainwashed Jefferies with all of that Plodex tech at his disposal. That would be one damned formidable foe.

And since Omega Flight was always a major foe of Alpha Flight, why not turn it around on Omega at some point and make the Alphans a major foe of Omega Flight. This would work especially well if Mac weren't in the Guardian suit and came back for a little Vindication. Add Northstar, Aurora, Sasquatch, and Puck and you'd have a major throw down. May need Snowbird to battle Talisman. Could mark the turning point some of the hardcore Alpha fans are looking for.

And if we're talking about consciencious objectors here, there should be an ongoing battle with the other side. Iron Man and his crew should come to serve warrants. Omega could throw them back in their faces and let them know their warrants aren't any good in Canada!

Although they were a bit before my time, I really dig the Great Beasts. They are just plain scary.

Quote Originally Posted by maniac mike
    I'd like to see a rematch with China Force, a MAJOR revamp of the second version of Omega Flight (Simon Furman creations), and to bring back Llan the Sorcerer.

MM
    I found Furman's Flight version to be too derivative: Miss Mass = Pink Pearl, Bile = Pestilence, etc.

My top five:

Dreamqueen
    Pestilence
    The Master
    Great Beasts
    Witchfire...seems natural progression for the character's origin.

I would like to see Nemesis in an adversarial role.

Delphine Courtney and Jaxxon were wonderful for their time, but I think returning these characters after so long brings up Alpha Flight's baggage issues. In a way they and Deadly Earnest better stand as examples that when Alpha dealt with a villain, those villains STAYED dealt with.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Wildchild! So dangerous yet so tragic, you want to comfort him even though he might tear you to pieces and eat you afterwards...

Wyre, but only if they have him use his powers instead of his guns, he's an awesome fighter with unique and wonderful abilities , he doesn't need to go Cable on people....
    He's also a tragic villain, he's done so many terrible things, but honestly believed he was doing what was best for everyone involved, even though it was destroying him...
    And, since Kyle won't kill Valerie Cooper, maybe Wyre could. That wretched, self serving little witch, I HATE her! Let Mephisto have 'er!
    "I can't believe this. I actually have a crush on a hologram! I don't know whether I should talk to a psychologist or an electrician!" Kyle, referring to Shard

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    I found Furman's Flight version to be too derivative: Miss Mass = Pink Pearl, Bile = Pestilence, etc.
    I just found them boring, like a lot of stuff done in AF at that time.

Delphine Courtney and Jaxxon were wonderful for their time, but I think returning these characters after so long brings up Alpha Flight's baggage issues. In a way they and Deadly Earnest better stand as examples that when Alpha dealt with a villain, those villains STAYED dealt with.
    I agree with you on this.
    Quand l'appétit va, tout va!
    -Obélix

By the way, there's a new profile for Jerry Jaxon at the Appendix
    http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix3/jaxonjerryaf.htm
    "I can't believe this. I actually have a crush on a hologram! I don't know whether I should talk to a psychologist or an electrician!" Kyle, referring to Shard

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default Some villains I'd like to see return

Let me state up-front that I like it when AF's villains are dealt with and stay dealt with, like Deadly Ernest in V1#8(?), with the red-headed daughter [Danielle Belmonde] being carted off to jail. Ernest's return by Mantlo, just to get chopped up again and Nemesis turning to dust, is...stupid.

The computer-whiz who injected that virus in the Hudnall/Haynes' fill-in was a formidible foe, though I'm hard-pressed to see how he survived.

Trying to think of some less oft-stated favorites, but I'm drawing a blank.
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

I'd love to see a new vailain team composed of Northstar, Aurora, Madison Jeffries, and Wild Child, maybe even with Diamond Lil in there for good measure, there to keep an eye on her hubbie, but covertly trying to get Omega to help her fix his scramble brain.

Ben

If you bring back the Great Beasts, have them portrayed as a true powerhouse. Such as the Exiles protrayed Tanaraq, or how the Gods of the Arctic easily beat a person who even Dr.Strange was unsure in Wolverine #171 (issue # may be off) and the Great Beasts are said to be equal with them.

Tanaraq (Exiles):
    http://alphanex.alphaflight.net/inde...q_%28Exiles%29

Mauvais:
    http://alphanex.alphaflight.net/index.php/Mauvais

An interesting twist would be to actually draw on elements of native mythology instead of just making stuff up on the fly. Try to find reference to any of the Great Beasts, or pretty much any of the supposed Inuit lore behind Snowbird, and you come up empty-handed. Only the most vague of associations.

Some more respectful, in-depth useage -- with a little tweak for comic books -- could be great. Native mythology is a far cry from being all hearts and flowers. Some of the old spirits are scary as Hell, and none too friendly to mortals.

We're a high-tech nation. Smart Alec returning has some weight behind it. He wasn't killed in that initial encounter, after all. He was always damned lame compared to the others. A little more "oomph" to that villain would go a long way.

The Master is another example of unused potential. For a Machiavellian plot in the north, it has to be that megalomaniac.

Calibre was a rotten, one-shot villain who had a second fifteen minutes of fame. He might be amusing to use as a lackey for a thinking villian, but again -- how much history are you looking to explore?

The Wendigo's almost a must. Hulk-like power. Propensity for devouring human beings. He's really never been portrayed as something absolutely terrifying. Something supernaturally strong that skulks through the woods, preying on those who travel alone. There's some serious horror chops there.

Best of luck with the series. While there's great history to draw on, there's a lot of room to craft new tales and explore new directions. From the viking settlement uncovered at L'anse aux Meadows to the countless tales of natives and newcomers alike, there's a rich trove of supernatural lore to mine if you feel like taking things in that direction.

Hmmm. While never a villian that AF faced, Graviton is a Canadian. And one that has given the Avengers a run for their money.

Quote Originally Posted by Northcott
    An interesting twist would be to actually draw on elements of native mythology instead of just making stuff up on the fly. Try to find reference to any of the Great Beasts, or pretty much any of the supposed Inuit lore behind Snowbird, and you come up empty-handed. Only the most vague of associations.

Some more respectful, in-depth useage -- with a little tweak for comic books -- could be great. Native mythology is a far cry from being all hearts and flowers. Some of the old spirits are scary as Hell, and none too friendly to mortals.
    Here is a link to Wikipedia's treatment of Inuit myth. It includes a long list of various spirits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inuit_mythology

I wouldn't mind seeing the Wrecking Crew put in another appearence. I guess they have some tenuous connection to Beta Ray Bill and Loki and Loki would still seem to have a score to settle.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs
    I wouldn't mind seeing the Wrecking Crew put in another appearence. I guess they have some tenuous connection to Beta Ray Bill and Loki and Loki would still seem to have a score to settle.
    Does the entire crew have their power back, or is it still all combined in the Wrecker himself?