Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: Alpha/Omega

Quote Originally Posted by Julesville
    What would really be cool and definatly put OF at the forefront of the Marvel world is to have a very public fight between Guardian and Iron Man, where it's a potential border conflict that boils over into a philisophical debate, then a throw down, and Guardian should totally wipe the floor with Iron Dork. It could be publicized and embaressing for IM, and it could be a very example of super heros crossing the line, ya know, using weapons of destruction to settle arguments. It would be sweet.

Peace.
    Damn straight that'd be sweet, only problem is, there's many heroes that deserve first crack at him. Spidey and Cap to name a couple. It just wouldn't seem fair if they all had a crack at him... though it'd be quite entertaining.

Just read the Oeming interview at Newsarama.... I honestly think this book is... Well it just won't do it for me. I mean seriously, Canadianism can be over the top in AF books, but I'm not too happy with the whole "One of us carries an American flag!!" Vibe. It seems to go against... Everything.

Not to mention that it seems like no actual AF members will be coming back... No Sasquatch is rediculous. I want an Alpha Flight book, and I would gladly forsake any sort of watered down subset of it if I knew that I my team wasn't going to end up bastardized. (And embittered?)

And on top of all this. I'm still angry off about the whole, /Killing off a team which has power players off the charts/ thing. And I'm still angry at the whole "two alpha flights" thing, And last but not least, I'm angry at this quote by Oeming:

But "running to Canada Vietnam style" was never in the picture. There will be characters like that, but they wouldn't be in Flight, you don’t put cowards on your team.

Dear god... Yes, they're superheroes who have fought time and again, and constantly risk death, but hell, if they ever decide to become consiencious objectors they're now cowards who don't deserve a team?

EDIT: If this post makes no sense... Its cuz I'm sleepy.

Oh, and I'd like to add that I just realized how funny this is...

"There was no way me and McNiven were going to show up in this country without announcing a new Alpha Flight," Bendis said.

This is funny because McNiven lives in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. I was at Strange Adventures the othe day actually, and apparently Steve has been so backed up with drawing Civil War he wasn't allowed to go to any comic cons.

To finish, I just found out that Word On The Street (Halifax book festival thingy) has a graphics novel section this year (listed as "fun for kids of all ages, *sigh* stupid comic book "kiddie" stigma,) and McNiven is going to be there. Time for some book signage!!

(And Brian Lee O'Malley will be signing Scott Pilgrim volumes 2 and 3 to go with my already signed volume 1.)

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs
    Well having just read that interview at CBR, I guess it's gonna be US Agent. So it's the is it Talisman or not question, is it Arachne or not question and who is in that suit?
    I thought 'To be or not to be' was the question?

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian
    You've got a leader (Guardian), a patriot (US Agent)
    What good is a US patriot on a Canadian team? Shouldn't the patriot be whoever's in the Guardian suit? ('cept, it seems, he's not Canadian. Unless Oeming is lying to us.)

And, sorry, SephirothsKiller, but your post makes perfect sense.

- Le Messor
    "And clever rogues with far less valid cause, have trapped their victims in a web of laws."
    - Moliere

I still say Persuasion belongs on this book. This team needs a little youth and vigour.

Well, I'm thinking that US Agent is not runing away but wil be ordered away. He is OK with the SRA but not with hunting down heroes. So for his insubordination he's told to kiss off.

Arachne is similar, she's signed in but not agreeing with catching heroes; she'll run a bit and head to Canada in disgust, not sent away or escaping capture, just leaving the mess a la Thing.

I doubt they'll 'desert'.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokole
    Well, I'm thinking that US Agent is not runing away but wil be ordered away. He is OK with the SRA but not with hunting down heroes. So for his insubordination he's told to kiss off.

Arachne is similar, she's signed in but not agreeing with catching heroes; she'll run a bit and head to Canada in disgust, not sent away or escaping capture, just leaving the mess a la Thing.

I doubt they'll 'desert'.
    Arachne has already deserted, in Miss Marvel #7 (Possible Spoilers, although I think most have read it) she is sent to capture 'The Shroud'. Secretly they are an item and when Capekillers burst in she helps him take them down. She was last seen being chased by Miss Marvel and Wonder Man.. I don't like what Carol Danvers has become or more to the point, how she's being portrayed, but am enjoying the comic at present, prolly due to Arachne.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

We've begun to debate the morality of the SRA, and it's implamentation, over on the Classic Marvel rpg site (in light of the events of CW#4), and do want to know what I'm sick of?

SPOILER SPACE

I'm sure some of you who have dialogued on CW with me can imagine, but it's all of the deserters. On BOTH sides.

You know, I am a Canadian and a Teutonic Heathen, but mine is a wisdom tradition and so I am hardly ignorant of the example set by such folk as Jesus Christ and Martin Luther King Jr.; two figures that loom very large in at least some part of the collective psyche of the U.S.A.

Why is it all zeal and extremism, Nth degree polarization and bi-polar switches?! Why is civil WAR the only thing anyone seems to be able to concieve? Why is there no moderation, no conscience, no civil DISOBEDIENCE? In fact, why is there no selfless heroism?

Even Sue Storm, who has displayed more backbone than ANYONE else in this entire crossover, ruins it by simply flip-flopping in the end and turning her back on the side she chose.

Whats with the entire "you're-either-for-us-or-against-us" mentality?!

I know, I know, if everyone was a moderate and chose the middle ground a peaceful and acceptable resolution would be found and we wouldn't get tot the see the jaw-dropping hero vs. hero violence and shinnanigans, we have been witnessing. Not much of a story in that.

But really, shouldn't there be some moderate who sticks to both their loyalities and their conscience, and opposes fallacy of their fellows from within?

Who is the conscience of either the pro- or anti- reg.'ers in all this?

It is very much starting to seem to me that whomever withs this war, it will, as always, be the common folk who will lose in the end.

Sorry for the rant folks... here under this thread.

Images

S
    p
    o
    i
    l
    e
    r
    s

s
    n
    i
    p
    p
    e
    d

b
    u
    t

n
    e
    w

o
    n
    e
    s

a
    d
    d
    e
    d

Quote Originally Posted by Powersurge
    I am hardly ignorant of the example set by such folk as Jesus Christ
    Whats with the entire "you're-either-for-us-or-against-us" mentality?!
    "He who is not with me is against me." - Jesus, Matt 12:30

But I see your point. It always bugged me when Hank Pym had no trouble turning over Cap when he came for a visit. I didn't think that, just because Pym chose the Iron Man side, it automatically meant he'd betray a friend...

Suddenly getting the Judas imagery I'd never seen before.

- Le Messor
    "Any clod can have the facts, but having opinions is an art."
    - Charles McCabe, San Francisco Chronicle

While I can see moderation by the Pro-Side, it doesn't seem possible by the anti side. They feel their rights are being betrayed, but they only fight when confronted. The other option is to let themselves get rounded up...

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor
    "He who is not with me is against me." - Jesus, Matt 12:30

Good point. Open to contextual and metaphoric interpretation of coure, but one can see where people might get the notion from. However, while I can't cite book or passage, I also recall something to the effect of...

"Yield unto Caesar that which is Caesar's..."

Moreover, did Christ not work to effect change within the Empire, rather than overthrow it?

Anyway, sign me up for bible school already!! I'm creeping myself out here, quoting Christian scipture and all.

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothsKiller
    While I can see moderation by the Pro-Side, it doesn't seem possible by the anti side. They feel their rights are being betrayed, but they only fight when confronted. The other option is to let themselves get rounded up...
    Concessions have been made in regards to various superhumans... Dr.Strange, Emma's mutants. Stark even offered to dialogue with Cap, and with full tactical advantage in the pro-reg.s favour, and a trump card up his sleeve, at that.

But what I'm really talking about is some in-group member taking the time to critique their sides position, and then having the balls to stand beside both the pro's AND the cons.

It's not like one side is entirely right, and the other entirely wrong. It never is.

Come to think of it, it seems that the anti-reg.'s are those most singleminded about the righteousness of their cause. Entirely convinced that they have the right to do what no one else, in a position of public trust or otherwise, has to do. Afterall, everyone has a right to privacy. Some more than others. But no one has a right to anonimity.

Images

I can't cite book or passage, I also recall something to the effect of... "Yield unto Caesar that which is Caesar's..."
    Indeed.

Moreover, did Christ not work to effect change within the Empire, rather than overthrow it?
    I'd go further, and say that He never worked to change the empire at all; though come to think of it, that's not quite what you said, is it?

Anyway, sign me up for bible school already!! I'm creeping myself out here, quoting Christian scipture and all.
    Hey! I resemble that remark!

"But no one has a right to anonimity."

Who said that?

The superheroes do what nobody else can. They make enemies doing it, which gives them the need of anonymity.

When it all started, I was on Iron Man's side, at least as far as the SRA was worded; that anyone wanting to fight superhero battles had to register and train first. I have no problem with that. Why shouldn't they all join the police?

But when he started taking out people--Luke Cage--who were doing nothing but watching TV, he lost me. He suddenly was trying to go after anyone who had powers, not just people who used them in a violent / law enforcement context.

- Le Messor
    "What's so civil about war anyway?"
    - Guns 'n' Roses

To say nothing of guys like Cap and Daredevil, whose "powers" consist of being expert martial artists (Daredevil's power merely compensates for his blindness).

So who's next, you go and register the guys in the UFC?
    "You cannot win, mailman Mike. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

Yeah. I too was fine with registering those that want to serve the public. They should have to register. Law Enforcement officers also place themselves in dangerous situations, with dangerous people whose reach often extends well beyond any prison they might be placed in.

And such officers have no super-powers.

Such people do have a heightened need for privacy, but not a right to complete anonimity. So, it's not really a privacy issue at all.

Heck, I can't even get a video store membership without disclosing personal information, but that is done with the assurance that my right to privacy shall be respected.

Of course, forcing non-combatants and those that do not want to use their powers for the public good into mandatory service is just plain wrong.

I still side with the Pro-Reg.s, but when a fellow over on the Classic Marvel RPG site asked what my character, Powersurge, would do if faced with the issues at hand, I said that he would side with the best interest of the people. He would uphold the law, he would oppose lawbreakers, friend or foe, and he would take down offenders with due leniance and discretion. He would work from within to change unwise particulars of the SRA, and he would neither engage in nor condone the heavy-handedness we see going down in CW. If push came to shove, he would follow his conscience, exercise civil disobedience, and take the consequences on the chin, like a man.

Of course, Powersurge's character and destiny have been shaped in no small way by the many, many people he inadvertently killed when his mutant powers first manifested. It drove him to escape the Epsilons that came a-hunting for him soon after the tragedy in favour of learning to control his powers at Xavier's School. It drove him to leave X-Men, and a slowly, but surely blossoming relationship with Rogue, when offered a position on the Protectors... where he was literally placed under a microscope and fully identified and quantified. And it ultimately drove him to turn himself into the Canadian authorities to account for the incident.

Took'im long enough to come around, mind you, but come around he did.