Thread: Dan Slott: New Alpha Writer?

Default Dan Slott: New Alpha Writer?

According to his message board, he's got a new title coming out late December, Early January. It's spinning out of Civil War, and it's coming same time the new (sort of) Alpha Flight title is supposed to come out, and they are being all closed mouthed about it.

http://www.606studios.com/bendisboar...ad.php?t=75133

I'm hoping this might be the case, Dan is one of my favorite writers and I'd actually believe Quesada's hype about it if he was writing...

It could be Alpha Flight, but on Usenet I found something from him that hints it's "Silent War" and will tie into the villains of Civil War, or post. Heck, another guess has "Marvel Comics Presents" having lead stories (24 pages) about Alpha Flight with 8 page backup stories about whoever. Like when Wolverine stories were the lead stories all the time.

But it's a guess either way. Heck, Slott and Coipel on Alpha Flight? That would be something!
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

I remember reading somewhere (Wizard?) that Slott had pitched for the Flight before. This was before volume 3 came out. Naybe they decided to give his ideas a try?

Quote Originally Posted by Mokole
    It could be Alpha Flight, but on Usenet I found something from him that hints it's "Silent War" and will tie into the villains of Civil War, or post.
    I see your hint and raise you a fact

Re: Joe Q says that Dan Slott has pitched his "breakout title." What is it?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dingo
    “Loners”, “Silent War”, and “Marvel Comics Presents”

So Dan, can you tell us which one is yours?

None of the above.

You can find that on Dan's board: http://www.606studios.com/bendisboar...t=75133&page=5

Yup, I found that out this morning. Slott said he's not writing any of the 'unknown' titles from Marvel. Also, he said it isn't going to be 'retro', which likely means a new concept, not building on an old one.

I don't know anything about the Arkham Asylum book, it sounds like it focused on villains with psychologists as the antagonists. I better find out.

Live it.

All because he said it would be more like his Arkham Asylum series, it doesn't necessarily mean he's doin something with guys in jail somewhere. He could just be maning it's a serious comic series, not a lightweight one like She Hulk or his Great Lakes Avengers stuff. He's mostly known for his humor books after all.

Joe Q has been saying the new series is not actually going to be Alpha Flight. It might be more about expatriate heroes north of the border, since we know several heroes are headed North to dodge the draft.

One thing is, the new book could be based on how Alpha Flight deals with the influx of deserters, some trying to be vigilantes, others heroes, others just thinking they own the place. All will have to be dealt with somehow by Alpha Flight.

Live it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokole
    One thing is, the new book could be based on how Alpha Flight deals with the influx of deserters, some trying to be vigilantes, others heroes, others just thinking they own the place. All will have to be dealt with somehow by Alpha Flight.
    Here's a tidbit from today's Joe Fridays. It doesn't really tell us anything - just stirs the pot: "Reader “matt983”: In Civil War #1, it was said that the capekiller teams would be armed with tranquilizers, and not real bullets. But in subsequent issues, it seems like they've been using live rounds (against Cap in New Avengers, and against Patriot in Civil War #2, before they knew he was bulletproof). Even in Civil War #3, after Wiccan and Cloak are tranquilized, the S.H.I.E.L.D. agent talking to Spider-Man seems to be aiming a gun with real ammunition.

So my question is, what brought about the escalation from "tranq and retain" to "shoot to kill?"

JQ: Come on now, matt983, ol’ buddy, I think you're reading into things.

"Seems to be aiming a gun with real ammunition"?

In Civil War #2, the order is very specifically given and followed through on in regards to Patriot: tranquilizers, and minimum force. Similarly, there's not one word in New Avengers #21 that indicates that the shots the S.H.I.E.L.D. agents are firing are actual rounds.

Which of course brings up the question whether or not Alpha Flight is really dead? "

http://www.newsarama.com/NewJoeFrida...Fridays09.html

Quote Originally Posted by reaperbot
    Which of course brings up the question whether or not Alpha Flight is really dead? "
    Dun dun dunnnn...

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

How, exactly? They weren't killed or 'killed' by SHIELD.

- Le Messor
    "Africans have time. Europeans have watches."
    - Kwazhi Salomon

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor
    How, exactly? They weren't killed or 'killed' by SHIELD.

- Le Messor
    "Africans have time. Europeans have watches."
    - Kwazhi Salomon
    He said that.... not me. Ask him.

Here's some vague possible credence to the Slott theory:

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=80780
    NRAMA: And how about a new Thor launch confirmed by Joe Quesada last week, and a series that may or may not be called Alpha Flight?

TB: All of the stuff that falls into this category — Mighty Avengers, Thor and so forth — will not be solicited until after Civil War wraps up, so February or March. Dan Slott’s Civil War spin-out, for example, looks like it’ll be in March at this point.