Thread: Just read the first 50 issues of AF...

Default Just read the first 50 issues of AF...

Hey Gang,

I've always loved the underated super heroes and I love Canada so natually I put two and two together and picked up the first 100 issues of Alpha Flight! It took some scrounging around in comics and some ebaying but I finally pieced together my set.

Well, after reading the first 50 issues I must say that Alpha Flight is an awesome comic book series and I've enjoyed reading it. My only issue though is seeing my favorite characters killed off - Vindicator/Guardian and then Sasquatch. I know Walter comes back as Wanda but it still isn't the same. And in issue like 49 or something Walter is like I'm a man stuck in a woman's body and then in issue 51 he calls some guy sweetie and struts his womanly figure around.

Anyway I'll cut to the chase, the series is progressively getting worse and worse. Mac's character is being dragged through the mud and although I like Heather Hudson she is starting to act promiscuous telling Jeffries she will give him a "private workout". It seems Alpha Flight is changing and I don't like it. Should I even bother to read on or do things come around?
    I can't take much more of the shakey new issues of the flight.

Default Re: Just read the first 50 issues of AF...

Quote Originally Posted by evenflow
    Hey Gang,

I've always loved the underated super heroes and I love Canada so natually I put two and two together and picked up the first 100 issues of Alpha Flight! It took some scrounging around in comics and some ebaying but I finally pieced together my set.

Well, after reading the first 50 issues I must say that Alpha Flight is an awesome comic book series and I've enjoyed reading it. My only issue though is seeing my favorite characters killed off - Vindicator/Guardian and then Sasquatch. I know Walter comes back as Wanda but it still isn't the same. And in issue like 49 or something Walter is like I'm a man stuck in a woman's body and then in issue 51 he calls some guy sweetie and struts his womanly figure around.

Anyway I'll cut to the chase, the series is progressively getting worse and worse. Mac's character is being dragged through the mud and although I like Heather Hudson she is starting to act promiscuous telling Jeffries she will give him a "private workout". It seems Alpha Flight is changing and I don't like it. Should I even bother to read on or do things come around?
    I can't take much more of the shakey new issues of the flight.
    Hey...What do you mean Heather is "starting to act promiscuous"?!....The poor woman is lonely, Madison's a nice guy and her husband has been dead for a couple of years (as far as she knew then)...She had the right to move on with her life.

Unfortunately, Mantlo's run on the book had very few good moments...a lot of it was terrible....He just didn't get the characters.

Dana

I was just shocked at how she went from being the girl thinking about how nice Mr. Jeffries is, to french kissing him in the ocean and talking about giving him a private workout! That's the kinda talk I expect from Aurora, not mild-mannered, conservative Heather!

Don't get me wrong I don't mind if she's a little more friendly. I was just floored at the transition is all

Ah, keep on reading and you'll find more you like. And welcome here!
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Quote Originally Posted by evenflow
    I was just shocked at how she went from being the girl thinking about how nice Mr. Jeffries is, to french kissing him in the ocean and talking about giving him a private workout! That's the kinda talk I expect from Aurora, not mild-mannered, conservative Heather!

Don't get me wrong I don't mind if she's a little more friendly. I was just floored at the transition is all
    Her pursuit of Jeffries was not really out of character. In the backstories, Heather pursued Mac, who was much older than herself. Heather's not really mild mannered. When she knows what she wants, she pursues it, and her drive is what kept Alpha together, even through the first 50 issues.

Reading-wise, you could skip to "The Wrath of the Dreamqueen" Arc, but then you'd miss Jim Lee's pretty pictures.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

I had to crawl through twisted dusty shelves to piece together the first 100 issues of Alpha Flight. I am gonna read em' all!

I'm rereading vol. 1 again and I'm actually kinda liking some of Mantlo's ideas. Scary eh?

Quote Originally Posted by PWalk
    I'm rereading vol. 1 again and I'm actually kinda liking some of Mantlo's ideas. Scary eh?
    Ideas are not always that bad, it's the execution! And mostly how the characters changed drastically from Byrnes to Mantlo. The interpretation leaves you a little bit frustrated. Boch, Jeffries, Aurora, Puck and Heather all changed drastically and where lamenting on their poor life a lot more.

Me, I would read it, just to know, there are good stories sometimes, but I agree that most of the rest is really not as good.
    Quand l'appétit va, tout va!
    -Obélix