Thread: Scientology vs Psychiatry at YouTube

Default Scientology vs Psychiatry at YouTube

I am appalled at the enormous amount of anti-psychiatry nonsense posted at YouTube by Scientologists and the CCHR. I've had enough of this blatant misinformation campaign.

So, I decided to do something about it.

A few months ago, I saw "Lighting the Darkness," a documentary on CTV about a new treatment for severe depression called Deep Brain Stimulation. If you've ever wanted to see a miracle, you should watch this.

Chantel's Story of Depression and Deep Brain Stimulation.

Here's the original story at CTV's W5: Lighting the Darkness

This story proves once and for all that mental illnesses like depression are physical illnesses of the brain. It's not merely psychosomatic, and it's certainly not "possession by alien thetans."

I've added several other mental health related vids too:

Noelle's Story of ADHD
    Teens, Depression, Cognitive Therapy, and Prozac
    Psychiatrists respond to Tom Cruise

Don't forget to comment and/or rate!

I'm really interested to hear people's opinions on psychiatric drugs like Prozac and Ritalin.

I'm not a big believer in drug therapy, mainly due to the inherent dangers and lack of understanding. I knew a kid for whom Ritalin was a Godsend, he went from having little control to having friends, becoming an 'A' student, very happy. Most drugs can help people regain control if used properly and in the short term, but in no way did I want that kid on Ritalin for the next 10 years.

People can be aided by things like Prozac until they can regain what they want as normal. That's OK by me. Too often drugs and therapy are pushed on people when all they need to do is change their habits (like think positive) and/or start acting responsibly. I've known lifelong victims who were victims because they said so. Once they got booted in the head they realized they were causing all their own problems, got jobs, got happy. Therapy helps, drugs help, but not everyone. Scientology is for true freaks who are also known as sheep/lemmings.

We scapegoat often and don't help people. 'Scientology' is a cult all about winners and losers, and as a result anyone who is a loser doesn't need help, they are 'marked' and should remain so.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Default Re: Scientology vs Psychiatry at YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Snowsquatch
    I'm really interested to hear people's opinions on psychiatric drugs like Prozac and Ritalin.
    Scientology is crap written by a SF writer(hello....aliens from Theta?...plain and simple...It's baloney and Tom Cruise is a psycho(did you see the man on Oprah?). I want a "Free Katie" T-shirt right now!

How I feel about psychiatric drugs is this....I definitely believe that some people truly need to be on a regulating medication, whether it be for a physical illness or a mental/chemical one...But there are far too many people on them, too many children on them and this country (I'm talking about the United States...since I don't really know what it's like in other countries)...is nuts...Nuts about being on Prozak, Ritalin, Xanax and whatever the latest "make my life easier to handle" drug is, etc...Nuts about the latest trend/fad diets (Carb-loading, no fat, low fat, South Beach, Atkins, etc...), nuts about being thin as a supermodel's little finger and....Nuts about celebrities/faux celebrities and the media that hounds them.

"This country needs an enema!"

Dana

EDITED because I'm getting senile. :P

As usual, I find myself agreeing with Dana. American medicine today is better living thru chemestry.

Because I am diabetc, a doctor I saw when I broke my shoulder in February wanted to start me on a blood pressure pill and a cholesterol pill.
    My blood pressure was SLIGHTLY elevated, like 150 (HELLO! Extremely painful broken shoulder on a bad patient in a doctor's office.
    He did NOT even give cholesterol test, but that did not stop the cholesterol pill suggestion.
    My biggest mood changes come and go in direct proportion to changes in my sugar level, with the real nasty bits when the sugar is low and outside things annoy me.

I have gone to insulin pharmacutecal sites, and seen "We care about patients" warnings that suggest diabetics should also be on psychotheraputical drugs, for the mood swings and just on general principle for overall mental health.

I do get hit with depression, severe sometimes, especially the daylight deprivation depression in winter...coincidentally, the holidays fall at the same time and I have to deal with people who make me look downright mentally stable. Do I want to take an anti-depressent? No. I will deal with the parentals and the family when I have to and with life in general. I'm afraid mood altering drugs would incite my lazy streak and I would never get off them again. Sometimes in life's downtimes, it's just OK to be a bit depressed or anxious.

Drugs can be valuable, but in line with what Mokole said, they should NEVER be the first resort, only the last.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    As usual, I find myself agreeing with Dana. American medicine today is better living thru chemestry.

Because I am diabetc, a doctor I saw when I broke my shoulder in February wanted to start me on a blood pressure pill and a cholesterol pill.
    My blood pressure was SLIGHTLY elevated, like 150 (HELLO! Extremely painful broken shoulder on a bad patient in a doctor's office.
    He did NOT even give cholesterol test, but that did not stop the cholesterol pill suggestion.
    My biggest mood changes come and go in direct proportion to changes in my sugar level, with the real nasty bits when the sugar is low and outside things annoy me.

I have gone to insulin pharmacutecal sites, and seen "We care about patients" warnings that suggest diabetics should also be on psychotheraputical drugs, for the mood swings and just on general principle for overall mental health.

I do get hit with depression, severe sometimes, especially the daylight deprivation depression in winter...coincidentally, the holidays fall at the same time and I have to deal with people who make me look downright mentally stable. Do I want to take an anti-depressent? No. I will deal with the parentals and the family when I have to and with life in general. I'm afraid mood altering drugs would incite my lazy streak and I would never get off them again. Sometimes in life's downtimes, it's just OK to be a bit depressed or anxious.

Drugs can be valuable, but in line with what Mokole said, they should NEVER be the first resort, only the last.
    As far as depression goes, Kozzi...It sounds like we're on the same boat...I'm diagnosed as "clinically depressed" (just like my mother...Yay! )...She's on meds....I am not, because I choose not to be. I was on Zoloft for a while, but I hated the way it made me feel(or not feel, as the case may be). I have no other health issues besides a weak back (which can get strained really easilly)...Oh...And my cholesterol is the lowest in my family at 147 (my dad's is 250, it's gone down a bit from his previous 280 or so).

My partner K, is another story. He has had Crohns disease for 26+ years (spending a good part of his life in the hospital), had caught Hepatitis C from a blood transfusion, has had 14 surgeries to repair or remove parts of his intestinal tract, has also MRSA and had several Staph infections/bouts of Pancreatitis. He has some minor liver, kidney and heart damage from years of steroid therapy and chemotherapy. He goes for weeks in constant pain sometimes and recently, his doctor suggested he go on a narcotic pain-control patch (that once started, can't be easilly stopped...due to really bad withdrawals). Kurt had to refuse, saying that he'd rather do that as a very last resort (I could see that he was visibly distraught over the fact that the Crohns pain had become "that hard" to control, that such drastic measures were suggested). He wants to live his life, not be over-medicated to the point of being catatonic or on a constant stream of addictive pain-meds....and I don't blame him.

Dana

Wow, we're all depressed here. (Actually, I've recovered, more or less.)

Anyways: don't forget to rate the vids at YouTube. YouTube is loaded with Scientology/anti-psychiatry flicks. Do a search for "psychiatry" at YouTube and almost everything is anti-psychiatry. I'd like to see that change, but I need your help.

Rate. And comment, if you wish. Thanks!

I might actually be manic depressive, but I'm not too likely to go get any real diagnosis. With everything in my background, I'm heroically well adjusted and quite functional. I can usually pass off as "normal" (like there is any such thing) with most people, at least for limited periods, tho I'm sure people with psych degrees can see the cracks in the glue job pretty quick. "Proper" therapy would probably ruin all the progress I made on my own. I'm a writer, so actually take a perverse pride in being an eccentric.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Is there a drug that can keep people company when they're alone?
    Is there one that will stop divorce? At the very least, stop a kid's parents splitting up?
    Is there one which will stop close friends betraying each other?

How 'bout one that will stop kids' being teased?

How 'bout all the crap I'm not even going to mention?

... Until there is, I won't trust drugs to cure depression.

But I trust Scientology even less.

- Le Messor
    "The best way to make a lot of money is to start a new religion."
    - L. Ron Hubbard, founder of Scientology