Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: french mistake

Default french mistake

ok, I'm starting that post, because I think, I need to makes some corrections in french and sometimes I just don't know if the mistake is from the mispelling or the original book.

Ok, I went and saw Le Pelegrine entry and there is a big mistake. Peregrine meant nothing in french. Perefrin falcon is translated in french by faucon pélerin. So that part in the bio need to be changed. Plus I'm guessing there is a spelling mistake in his name as it should be Alain and not Alaine, no?

it's about it for now...I'll be back!!!
    Quand l'appétit va, tout va!
    -Obélix

Default Re: french mistake

Quote Originally Posted by syvalois
    ok, I'm starting that post, because I think, I need to makes some corrections in french and sometimes I just don't know if the mistake is from the mispelling or the original book.

Ok, I went and saw Le Pelegrine entry and there is a big mistake. Peregrine meant nothing in french. Perefrin falcon is translated in french by faucon pélerin. So that part in the bio need to be changed. Plus I'm guessing there is a spelling mistake in his name as it should be Alain and not Alaine, no?

Handbook entry state his name is Alaine Racine, and also state Le Pelegrine means The Falcon in French.

Default Re: french mistake

Quote Originally Posted by King Mungi
    Quote Originally Posted by syvalois

Handbook entry state his name is Alaine Racine, and also state Le Pelegrine means The Falcon in French.

So? It's about time someone tells them it's wrong, no? I mean, I know for a fact that falcon in french is Faucon. I thought maybe it was a kind of falcon I did not knew about, but I search in my dictionnary if Peregrine was there and found nothing. So I went to see what the grand dictionnaire had to say (http://w3.granddictionnaire.com/BTML...ndex1024_1.asp). Nothing, so I made my search in english and peregrine did gave me faucon pélérin. There you go, the handbook is spreading a falsehood, do we have to do it too?

And I found this(http://groups.google.fr/group/rec.ar...%2F1998-11%3F& and I quote :

>> All right, I start by my favorite example: in France, Le Peregrine is
    >> called... le Faucon Pelerin. Yup, the french publisher of Marvel Comics
    >> (Lug at the time, then Semic), had to translate the "french" (ahem!)
    >> name of this french superhero, because there's no such word as "le
    >> peregrine" in the french language (or at least, there is, but the
    >> meaning is quite different. A "pérégrin", according to my dictionnary,
    >> was, in the Roman Empire, a free man who was not a Roman citizen. Hardly
    >> a bird of prey )

Like some years ago, marvel was showing Sunspot speaking spanish as is first language, when in fact he is brazilian and so is speaking portuguese. They did changed that when they found how big was the mistake.

As for Alaine, I also search in the net and found at least those 2 that said Alain.
    http://www.marveldatabase.com/wiki/index.php/Peregrine
    http://www.marvunapp.com/master/peqpg.htm

So yes the handbook made a mistake, but I don't think we need to continu doing so. I'm not complaining about our entry, it's good, it's only repeating what been said elsewhere and well, I just want to inform people about it. I could probably change it myself, but I don't trust my english enough to do official stuff like that.

[/url]
    -Obélix

Oh no it's fine, I just posted what the handbook said I could careless about correcting it. Since I would perfer if it was truely accurate. If you add your two cents in the entry, I can always go back and reword it if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by King Mungi
    Oh no it's fine, I just posted what the handbook said I could careless about correcting it. Since I would perfer if it was truely accurate. If you add your two cents in the entry, I can always go back and reword it if that helps.
    yes, that would help, I'm trying to write something about the flq and it's hard enough in french, my english getting horrible, but it's a good practice. Anyway, that also will need to be edited.
    -Obélix

While I'm not discounting the bad French, Sylvie, a 'Peregrine' Falcon does exist - its the Territorial bird of the Northwest Territories. It's a smaller falcon (classified as a 'medium-range'). Wikipedia has quite a few links that illustrates what the bird is like.

But no, to my knowledge, Peregrines are indiginous to North America, not France.
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCanuck
    While I'm not discounting the bad French, Sylvie, a 'Peregrine' Falcon does exist -
    I know Allan, that's how I found the mistake. peregrine falcon=faucon pélerin
    -Obélix

My apologies, I misunderstood the confusion.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

*sigh* you had to bring that up in front of me. My parents are birdwatchers. Avid. They've won competitions.
    (Yes, really.)

The peregrine falcon exists all over the world. I'm pretty sure there's one that lives just down the road from here (in Canberra, Australia). There's a breeding pair in (Chicago? One of those big US cities). Yes, Europe, too.

The word peregrine (in English) means 'wandering' or 'migratory'. I'm not fool enough to dispute Sylvie's correction of the French!
    I figure it's related to the Latin (and French) meaning.

That said, maybe the character heard the English word, liked it, and French-ised it? That sort of thing does happen.

- Le Messor
    "A farmer was seen lifting up his pigs, one at a time, to eat apples out of a tree. A passerby said, "Wouldn't it save a lot of time to shake the tree and let them eat the apples on the ground?" The farmer replied, "What's time to a pig?"

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor
    *sigh* you had to bring that up in front of me. My parents are birdwatchers. Avid. They've won competitions.
    (Yes, really.)

The peregrine falcon exists all over the world. I'm pretty sure there's one that lives just down the road from here (in Canberra, Australia). There's a breeding pair in (Chicago? One of those big US cities). Yes, Europe, too.
    I'm not sure if I said this part already, not having reread my previous post, but what I SHOULD have said is 'I'm not sure, but I think Peregrines are indigenous to North America'. Sorry Mik.

... how do you do COMPETITIVE bird watching??? Fascinating as the subject is, I'm not really sure how you do that competitively...

Btw, Mik, you're starting to get REALLY bad at double-posting...

In my opinion, mistake or no, your should keep the given name as it is in the MU Handbooks, parents have been known to misspell names in real life, saddling their kids with a mistake, or specifically choosing an alternate spelling, as Alan, no I mean Allen, NO, ALLAN can tell you.
    Take the name "Sherry" which I have seen as
    Cheri (pronounced "sh")
    Sheri
    Sherry
    Cherry (pronounced "sh")
    Sherie
    Shery
    Sherey

Shouldn't consistency with official Marvel sources be striven for?
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

As a guy who's had his name misspelled in 39 different specific ways, I have to agree with Geoff, erm, Jeff....

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    In my opinion, mistake or no, your should keep the given name as it is in the MU Handbooks, parents have been known to misspell names in real life, saddling their kids with a mistake, or specifically choosing an alternate spelling, as Alan, no I mean Allen, NO, ALLAN can tell you.
    Take the name "Sherry" which I have seen as
    Cheri (pronounced "sh")
    Sheri
    Sherry
    Cherry (pronounced "sh")
    Sherie
    Shery
    Sherey

Shouldn't consistency with official Marvel sources be striven for?

yes, but does the name is prononced the same? Because Alain and Alaine is not the same prononciation in french and the e at the end like that would, in many case, imply a change of sex. Remember Raymonde belmonde ? Yes, that's a women's name. If spelled Raimon, it would be wrong but at least phonetically correct. Like Joanne, in french, the majority spell it Johanne, but it's just a different spelling, so no complain there. But Alaine? well, it's phonetically the same than "haleine" which mean "breath". Would you like to be called breath?

Hey bad Alaine? :P
    -Obélix

I think what it really comes down to is how it's printed. If it's printed one way, we stick to that, correct or not. If it's prinited more than one way, we go with the more gramatically correct. This makes the most sense to me, expecially if someone is doing a search on a character that is spelled one way in the books and we have it listed an other.

Ben

Ben's idea makes sense - if it's spelled wrong consistently, we use that as gospel; if it's spelled more than one way, go with the grammatically correct version [b]but[/but] (and here's where I differ from Ben's original post), post somewhere on the article other methods it's been listed (ie: 'other aliases' or something along the same lines)