Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: french mistake

[quote="syvalois

yes, but does the name is prononced the same? Because

Hey bad Alaine? :P [/quote]
    Yes, all pronounced the same as the 1980's Steve Perry song "Oh Sherry"

[quote="syvalois

But Alaine? well, it's phonetically the same than "haleine" which mean "breath". Would you like to be called breath?

[/quote]

That would depend on whether the adjective before breath was "bad" or "fresh"
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

They go out and list how many species of birds they can see in a specific area. Then they give their results to the organisers, and the people with the most win.
    Unfortunately, the system relies on trust. Somebody got booted for seeing a bunch of birds in an area they shouldn't have been in.

There are deliberate misspellings in superhero names. "Goblyn" or "Mannikin" are obvious examples.

I shorten my name to 'Mik' when "Mick" is the more common spelling. And where did I get that 'k' from anyway? It's not in Michael!

- LM
    "A man's home is his hassle."

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor
    They go out and list how many species of birds they can see in a specific area. Then they give their results to the organisers, and the people with the most win.
    Unfortunately, the system relies on trust. Somebody got booted for seeing a bunch of birds in an area they shouldn't have been in.

There are deliberate misspellings in superhero names. "Goblyn" or "Mannikin" are obvious examples.

I shorten my name to 'Mik' when "Mick" is the more common spelling. And where did I get that 'k' from anyway? It's not in Michael!

- LM
    "A man's home is his hassle."
    I'm perplex, at the moment I just feel stupid arguing about a name or the feeling I'm not really understood. Yves always said I'm not easy to follow or understand, that must be the case.

For the Peregrine, one would have to look inside the actual comic if his name is really Alaine or Alain, but I'm only telling you this because the guy is french and I know the particular of that language. The pronounciation is maybe the same for an anglophone, but not for a francophone and it do change the meaning a lot. Like my best exemple Raymonde Belmonde. Did Byrne made another hint of JP homosexuality in putting a women's name on a man or was it just a typo? That is a question that comes to mind when I read the issu.

I agree that we used the original name put in the comic but a note should be put to say the issu. And it's not really alias, but mistake as it's not a mispelling since it's not the same pronounciation in the mother thong of the said character.

anyway, do as you like, it's only a name, just don't call me Sylvain, I would be pissed.
    Quand l'appétit va, tout va!
    -Obélix

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by syvalois
    For the Peregrine, one would have to look inside the actual comic if his name is really Alaine or Alain, but I'm only telling you this because the guy is french and I know the particular of that language. The pronounciation is maybe the same for an anglophone, but not for a francophone and it do change the meaning a lot.
    anyway, do as you like, it's only a name, just don't call me Sylvain, I would be pissed.
    Okay. I was talking about 'Peregrine'; you were talking about Alaine or Alain. It makes a huge difference there.

Ooh, another point. Not entirely on topic, but partly.
    When American supers choose names, why do we not care where they come from? Are the Spidey villains 'Rhino' or 'Jackal' in any way African? How 'bout Wonder Woman's 'Cheetah'? King Cobra of the Serpent Society? Is he Indian? Come to think of it, what's so specially American or New York about spiders?

(These aren't rhetorical questions; some of them may be yes.)

But every time somebody from outside the continental USA chooses a name that's not representative of their specific locale, there's a protest. I believe somebody made it about Peregrine on this thread (they're worldwide, not particularly French).

People here are as likely to use 'Jackal' or 'Cobra' as 'Funnelweb'. Likelier even. (Here being Australia.)

Discuss.

- Le Messor
    "A physicist is an atom's way of knowing about atoms."
    - George Wald

Ooh, another point. Not entirely on topic, but partly.
    When American supers choose names, why do we not care where they come from? Are the Spidey villains 'Rhino' or 'Jackal' in any way African? How 'bout Wonder Woman's 'Cheetah'? King Cobra of the Serpent Society? Is he Indian? Come to think of it, what's so specially American or New York about spiders?

(These aren't rhetorical questions; some of them may be yes.)

But every time somebody from outside the continental USA chooses a name that's not representative of their specific locale, there's a protest. I believe somebody made it about Peregrine on this thread (they're worldwide, not particularly French).

Etic and Emic persepctives.

From the inside, it can be simple to identify a character as "normal" (which in this case, with a predominantly U.S.-based industry). As a consequence, the name doesn't need to say where he's from. Names can be ripped off because we regard all things U.S. as "Vanilla." There's also the issue of running out of names that fit characters, but what the hey, I regard that as a symptom.

When it comes to foreign characters, they're regarded as having a certain flavor built-in, because we don't really know enough about the country. Weird, and sadly funny, but what strikes us as easiest is to slap a name "clearly describing" where they're from, because it frees us from having to come up with more detail about them.

My two cents.
    "You cannot win, mailman Mike. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."