Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post Byrne Alphans

Default Post Byrne Alphans

I always noticed that everyone associates AF with Byrne's crew and for good reason, but I wanted to see how you like everyone that came after Byrne left since his characters played such a big role throughout the series. Lets see some rank list people.

Well I didnt like Persuasion just seemed a little odd Manikin had potential, but since byrne didnt plan on making Heather have a suit I have to say that they handled that area quite well, I hated the fact that they killed Roger Bochs and Snowbird and Wanda Langowski was pointless, I hated that though they did pull it off quite well

I liked Madison Jeffries a lot.
    Nemesis was cool.
    Feedback always appealed to me.
    Witchfire I liked.
    Windshear too.
    Pathway and Goblyn were OK.
    Not a big fan of Wild Child, or Vindicator.
    Persuasion I'm ambivalent about, I guess.
    Wyre is not so good.

I liked Ghost Girl and Flinch's potential.
    Never liked Murmur much.
    Radius was better to me than Flex.
    Not a Manbot fan.

Zuzha and MML were good characters, Yukon Jack less so, Centennial in the middle.

I'm not remembering everyone, but...
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Post-Byrne characters, huh?

I liked Windshear...and Madison Jeffries(even though he's a Byrne character) as Box IV was pretty neat.

My most favorite would have to be the suited up Heather(also a Byrne character first)...Putting her in the suit was a great idea IMHO.

Dana

I can't say I'm fond of any non-Byrne characters, except for Zusha Yu.

But the late vol 1 characters seem really bad. Goblyn, Manikin, Windshear, etc were all pretty lame, in my eyes.

I hated Wyre and Feedback.

Wyre sucks
    I dont mind Jade Dragon.
    Pathway and Goblyn I hated
    Manikin I can deal with
    Wyre sucks
    same with Persuassion
    Witchfire is cool
    so were Silver and Auric before they crocked
    Wyre sucks
    didnt care for Feedback
    like Zuzha Yu, Yukon Jack and MML
    Wyre sucks
    Windhsear was okay
    Didnt like the concept of Centinnel
    did I mention that Wyre sucked!
    thought not

Post Byrne I liked, Talisman's development and Jefferies. I thought the Wild Child and Diamond Lil beating the straight and narrow was a decent move. V2 I liked Radius and Flex even though he was abit whiney. V3 I liked the idea behind Centenial, even though they didn't do much with him.

Windshear, Goblyn, Withfire, Manikin, Silver, Auric, Jade Dragon, Wyre, Feedback from V1 I was kind of indifferent to. I didn't see where they added much to the team. Pathway was the only late V1 addition that added a new ability to the group, and come to think of it Shaman could probably open a protal to another plane if he needed to. So late V1 was just the start of an unrecognizeable, uninteresting ensemble for me. No wonder they put them in the team uniforms!

V2 was much of the same. Vindicator was a clone and Murmur and Manbot may as well have been Persuasion and Box. A false Sasquatch! I guess I liked Flex and Radius cause they were the only characters I saw as new and different (even though they could easily be argued to be Mac and Wolverine).

V3 great visuals, no characters. Centenial could have been a significant player. He was different. Puck II was Speedball meets Puck! Yukon Jack was Kazar on crack! MML, Jr. I don't know. He grew on me a bit, but he was almost too annoying to enjoy. Nemesis just didn't fit. There wasn't a good reason for her to be there. But then that was kinda the case for her V1 appearances also. She should've remained a vigillante that popped up from time to time exacting revenge.

For me, Alpha Flight is and always will be at it's base Guardian, Sasquatch, Snowbird, Northstar, Aurora, Shaman(or Talisman), Puck, Box, and Vindicator. Take one or two out and mix one or two of the others in and I'm Ok, but leave one or two and replace everyone else and I'm lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnacle13
    V2 was much of the same. Vindicator was a clone and Murmur and Manbot may as well have been Persuasion and Box. A false Sasquatch! I guess I liked Flex and Radius cause they were the only characters I saw as new and different (even though they could easily be argued to be Mac and Wolverine).
    Yeah, I noticed those similarities, too. I would argue that Radius was a less-interesting Diamond Lil.

I can see the Diamond Lil analogy better than Mac, but I like him of all the characters from V2 because he was a pompous ass. He at least had character in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnacle13
    Windshear, Goblyn, Withfire, Manikin, Silver, Auric, Jade Dragon, Wyre, Feedback from V1 I was kind of indifferent to. I didn't see where they added much to the team. Pathway was the only late V1 addition that added a new ability to the group, and come to think of it Shaman could probably open a protal to another plane if he needed to. So late V1 was just the start of an unrecognizeable, uninteresting ensemble for me. No wonder they put them in the team uniforms!

V3 great visuals, no characters. Centenial could have been a significant player. He was different. Puck II was Speedball meets Puck! Yukon Jack was Kazar on crack! MML, Jr. I don't know. He grew on me a bit, but he was almost too annoying to enjoy. Nemesis just didn't fit. There wasn't a good reason for her to be there. But then that was kinda the case for her V1 appearances also. She should've remained a vigillante that popped up from time to time exacting revenge.

For me, Alpha Flight is and always will be at it's base Guardian, Sasquatch, Snowbird, Northstar, Aurora, Shaman(or Talisman), Puck, Box, and Vindicator. Take one or two out and mix one or two of the others in and I'm Ok, but leave one or two and replace everyone else and I'm lost.
    I agree with a lot of what you say. Goblyn, Manikin, Silver and Auric were pretty lame characters. I'd be indifferent about them if only they didn't take up roster spots for the originals at one point or another. That's when I got annoyed.

I actually really enjoyed the second series. Even though Radius was the arrogant tough guy and Flex a bit whiny, you knew there was room for character grouth there and it started to happen around ish 14. IMO Flex had the most potential to be an excellent character. With time he could have gotten the hang of his powers, finding new ways to use them. I imagined him eventually growing a CrossBow or Grappeler out of his arm. Creating sheilds on his arms as he dives into battle, changing one arm into a sword or Mace. Gliding on wings, clawing up a building, the sky's the limit.

The third series, well, while I enjoyed the characters, the theme was just too much of a joke. Yukon Jack never grew on me and it took too long to even learn his powers, not that we got to see much of it. MML really grew on me and I'm sure his annoyingness would have faded as time went on. I still think he's the best candidate for a new Guardian. If Zuzha could have had any additional abilities, psychic for example(being able to talk from birth and all), I could stand having her around.

It would have been nice if the book would have gradually added characters instead of dumping at least 3-4 at a time one us. We never really got to know them as well as the originals. I thought that was the idea of Beta and Gamma Flight. Kind of like a sports team. Have a group of 2nd tiers who go on less dangerous missions. Once one matures and becomes more comfortable with their abilities, bring them up a level. One at a time. Let us get to know them. If Shaman wanted to retire, he could do so without having to worry, because his predecessor could take over ie Talisman or Chuck Moss.

Anyway, that'll prolly never happen so wishful thinking is all we got right? Hopefully a fan of the original will take over the book, look at the Byrne era, see the potential and basically start over.

D.

I liked: Purple Girl , Witchfire, Manikin, Manbot, Ghost Girl, Puck2, Maj. Mapleleaf, TechNoir , Brass Bishop (seagle/roleaux(sp?)) Cartman, Stan, Kenny and Butters.

JohnnyCanuck

I took a quiz to test my Comic knowledge on cbc.ca and they had an AF related question. It was a find the one that doesn't belong question and the choice was "Lapou Teen, a psychic short-order cook from Shawinigan. Now, if there ever could have been someone like, I wanna know what Volume he should be in.
    Rockin' Roll Martian!!!

Quote Originally Posted by shaman
    I took a quiz to test my Comic knowledge on cbc.ca and they had an AF related question. It was a find the one that doesn't belong question and the choice was "Lapou Teen, a psychic short-order cook from Shawinigan. Now, if there ever could have been someone like, I wanna know what Volume he should be in.
    wow, what a bad word play: Lapou Teen= La poutine. And well, Shawinigan, does he look like Chrétien?
    Quand l'appétit va, tout va!
    -Obélix

Quote Originally Posted by mos_def
    I hated Wyre and Feedback.

Wyre sucks
    I dont mind Jade Dragon.
    Pathway and Goblyn I hated
    Manikin I can deal with
    Wyre sucks
    same with Persuassion
    Witchfire is cool
    so were Silver and Auric before they crocked
    Wyre sucks
    didnt care for Feedback
    like Zuzha Yu, Yukon Jack and MML
    Wyre sucks
    Windhsear was okay
    Didnt like the concept of Centinnel
    did I mention that Wyre sucked!
    thought not
    I agree with Wyre, but he is beaten in the worst departement character for me by Major Maple Leaf senior. For volume 3, I did not read, so I can't comment, for volume 2, I liked Flex at the end, less a wimp, and was a drive for the story unlike the others new characters. Hated passionately Murmur, did not liked Radius, simply did not care about the real Sasquatch and totally forgot about Manbot. Actually, I liked the zodiac and would have liked to know more about them. Gentry was fun.

As for the first serie after Byrne, too many characters I don't care. At one point, AF stories where boring, not bad, just boring. The characters where too generic for me. Like the special issu with stich and the first group, well, I thought it was pretty much boring, characters included.

Purple girl was ok, I like the relation Goblyn/LAura Dean, but they became generic after a time (I must say after the boobs implants laura Dean had). Liked the relation Kara/manikin, but did not knew the age difference) Hated how Roger Boch turn out and Aurora was also. Not to mention Puck. I liked Jefferies, but after Reading Byrne, he seem out of character. Diamond lil, I think is the one that got the better development. I liked what they did with her in general. As for all teh rest, witchfire and all, some had potential but they never got around to it, so they lost interest (if they had any) after a time.
    Quand l'appétit va, tout va!
    -Obélix

I can't say that I like any of the post-Byrne characters that I have seen. The exceptions being MM Sr. and MM Jr. I'd like to see (but never will) a mini in which they confront and deal with their problems with one another.

Maybe I haven't read the right issues, but I just don't see how MM Sr. was abusive to the lil'boyscout. Then again, given what terrible failures all Canuck characters seem to be as husbands and fathers, that would seem to be the logical conclusion. Ah well, I guess that leaves MM Sr. in good company.