Poll: Do You Think Alpha Flight Will Feature Prominently in a New Upcoming Series?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AF or no AF?

Default AF or no AF?

To get a general idea, more than anything else. We've been teased constantly about AF since the abomination that was AF vol 3. Do you think that we will see a new title concentrating on AF or are Mr Quesada, Mr Millar and Mr Bendis blowing wind up our arses?

Edited to say
    Alpha have had a lot of airtime recently, lots of questions at Newsarama with no specific denial. Joe Quesada's non commital answers and cryptic comments. Brian Bendis's comments after Avengers #16. Mark Millars mini interview with Ben. I cannot believe nothing is going to happen.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Yeah whatever...

I think there will be some Alpha involvement (i.e. one or two characters) in an upcoming series but I highly doubt it be a stand alone title featuring strictly AF characters.

Yeah Whatever....

It tickles a bit when they blow said smoke. I think they were playing on the outrage from NA#16. Things have quieted a bit and I don't see Alpha getting much mention. If they play a role it'll be minor. I'm thinking cameo! Word Up! I mean they haven't even given them a decent burial and they "died" 3 months ago! Doesn't a hero at least desreve some dirt thrown on their broken remains and a splash page with other heros and friends walking off in mourning? Alpha will appear again, I just don't think it'll amount to much. This is primarily because Marvel doesn't listen to its fans, who just so happen to also be the consumer.

I went with yes, featured. I don't think Bendis and Millar are lying, it's not like they have an agenda or a rap as guys who mistreat fans. Brevoort likes to play things close to the chest and hates to give out hints even, he's not someone to wet an appetite. Quesada, on the other hand, likes to jerk people around for some reason, as he does his co-workers.

I'm with Bendis/Millar on this one.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Well, we've been (somewhat) promised a new Alpha Flight series. I have the feeling that if this ever came to pass, it would be with the classic team, with a few newbies thrown in. But I guess that's wishful thinking.

But, on the other hand, we may get a new series with one or two classic members, and a whole slew of unknowns to be called, "Alpha Flight". My guess is that an Alpha Flight series of this type will be lucky to last six issues. Will Marvel learn from previous failed set-ups of AF, and give us the recognizable team? We can only hope!

I think the originals will be featured, but maybe not right away or they will be combined with the US heroes. Either way, I don't think they will be the main focus at first. Not until Civil War is concluded and (I assume) the US heroes go home will the originals take over the book again.

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default I now agree. Vol. 3 is an abomination.

Taking MARVEL at its word about there not being a new Alpha Flight book and fans/readers still going to love it, there are two things that come to mind: turn the group into villains or put them in a book like Amazing Fantasy. I could go for the latter better than the former.
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

Default Re: Probably not a book by themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry/Al-Fan
    Taking MARVEL at its word about there not being a new Alpha Flight book and fans/readers are still going to love it, there are two things that come to mind: turn the group into villains or put them in an ensemble book, like Amazing Fantasy. I could go for the latter better than the former.
    Unfortunately we've already begun the transformation with Aurora, Jefferies, Wild Child, and Northstar all moving in a darker direction. Mind controlled sure, but they're still not exactly on the good side of the fight. Sorry, but I have little faith in Marvel to do anything that makes sense for these characters.

Well, Aurora with MPD can certainly be a villain, especially after Weapon X. Northstar was always the snarky guy with a chip on his shoulder, and his X-Men days weren't happy. Wild Child had control problems, Box was always portrayed as weak-minded. So all turning to evil is unfortunately passable. With Witchfire that is possible too, Persuasion's anger, even Puck I guess with his merc days. But most of the rest, unlikely to work.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

It would be kinda ironic if Marcel created a new "Alpha Flight" comic with a different name, but felt more like AF than volume 3.

There's talk about a new team made from some members of Af mixed with some non-AF members. Ok, but will they be serious characters, or just throw-aways from some X comic? Frankly, I'm not interested having more mutants join AF. I'm just kinda "done" with the mutant thing right now.

As for non-mutant heroes, who could they be?

Why have Dr Strange when we could have Shaman?
    Why have the Hulk or the Thing when we could have Sasquatch?
    Why have Iron Man when we could have Guardian and/or Jeffries/Box?
    Why have She-Hulk when we could have Diamond Lil?

See a trend? The only suitable choices would be characters of a type not already represented, like Spidey or Wolverine, and that's not likely to happen. (Spidey in AF? Boy, that would suck.)

Why is it so damn hard for Marvel to understand that AF fans want the classic AF?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowsquatch
    It would be kinda ironic if Marcel created a new "Alpha Flight" comic with a different name, but felt more like AF than volume 3.
    Man, anything would be more like AF than Vol. 3! (IMHO)

See a trend? The only suitable choices would be characters of a type not already represented, like Spidey or Wolverine...
    Although a lot of AF fans would disagree with me, I would like to see Wolverine join the team for a lttle while. Just long enough to get non-AF fans reading the book. The same goes for any other hero who is shipped in to join the team. Get them in, attract new fans, move the heroes on. With some luck (and good writing) there will be some new AF fans after Civil War events have faded.

Why is it so damn hard for Marvel to understand that AF fans want the classic AF?
    I don't know, rampant stupidity? Sounds like a poll question to me.

Wolverine is in every book yet he has strong ties to Alpha which would make sense and not have to retcont he whole AF history. I too do not want more X Men though.

Quote Originally Posted by mos_def
    Wolverine is in every book yet he has strong ties to Alpha which would make sense and not have to retcont he whole AF history. I too do not want more X Men though.
    I don't want any X-men either (they're all so messed up now), I just think Wolverine could bring some fans to the book. Once the series is off the ground though he can be written out. However, depending on what happens in CW he may end up coming back to Canada in any case, which would mean appearances in whatever AF book does end up being published.

Yeah, whatever.

Why have She-Hulk when we could have Diamond Lil?

Is Diamond Lil super-strong, or just invulnerable?
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

As it is a matter of Marvel historical fact that Wolverine ws originally intended to lead AF, bringing him into a new title makes perfect sense on numerous levels.